Recommendations for Purchased Patches

Tonto83

Hey People, Im chasing ideas on which tone packs I should purchase. Can I go wrong with any of them or are they all worth their weight in brass. I play all types of music but would like to know which one is the best for a variety of well presented amps. I figure I can build on them from there after the initial learning curve.

The reason I suggested Leon and Burgs is that you want to reverse engineer and learn to make your own. These are free and awesome. Just search Youtube or the Axe Exchange for the presets. Search by Author on the exchange. If you want to drop $$, I've bought AB's and Fremen's in the past. Both are excellent. Fremen allows you to buy individual amp packs(not all are covered, but most mid to high gain are).

Don't overlook the factory presets. Almost any genre can be found there and they are actually quite good. Some are meant to showcase different effects but a great core amp tone is there. Go through the factory presets, turn effects off and find the tones you would like to use. Remove the effects you don't want to use and rename the preset to use as your own. If you find effects, amps and cabs you like, save them to the Block Library and you have a collection of effects and tones you can use to build your own presets.

I've never really felt the need to buy any presets or preset packs because of all of the tutorials and free presets offered by the users already mentioned. My concern with paying for presets is knowing that I would need to tweak them in order to make them work for me. Why spend the money on something if I need to change them in any way to make them work? I've heard Austin Buddy's packs are great baselines but I would still need to add the effects and tweak the amps to my liking.

The amps in the Axe III operate and react the same as the 'real world' amps they are modeled after. Would you have someone set up a 'real' amp for you and not make any tweaks? Take the time to go through the manual and start simple with just an amp and cab. Whether it's a factory preset you strip of effects or a preset you create doesn't really matter. Start on the Authentic page of the amp block and experiment as you would with a 'real' amp. From there, go to the Ideal page and see what the other parameters do.

I would recommend going through the rest of the pages of parameters to at least get an idea of what's there and what the parameters do. Whether you go into more of the advanced parameters or not, you'll at least gain an understanding of the capabilities of Fractal's modelling platform. You'll learn more and gain a knowledge base that will serve you well as you become more and more familiar with your Axe rather than being dependent upon others to get the most out of your gear.

The value in a tone pack like AB's or, really, anyone's, is in that baseline good sound as a starting point. It gives you a good idea of the sound that a particular amp model is known for, and shows you the settings that are needed to get there. Expecting a finished product that requires no tweaking to suit your own guitar(s), playing style/dynamics, and playback equipment from an 'off-the-shelf' tone pack seems akin to buying a Chevy and expecting it to come from the factory with the seats and mirrors already perfectly adjusted to your preferences....

If the Axe's default values didn't give a proper representation of the amps, I could see the merit of buying presets that someone's taken the time to tweak to a baseline. With how great the amps sound at their default values, it just doesn't make sense to me to spend money on something that's basically doing the same thing.

If you're looking for presets that have a lot of different effects combinations, sounds or for specific songs or groups, go for it. Otherwise, it just seems like a waste of money.

Edosounds are killer for me. They sound exactly the same for me as they do in his demos. I can't say that for some others I've tried.

Edosounds are killer for me. They sound exactly the same for me as they do in his demos. I can't say that for some others I've tried.
There's the rub exactly. If Edo's presets work well for you, that must mean your guitar(s), monitoring, and desired tones are similar to his. If you were playing an L5 and looking for Joe Pass vibes, he's probably not your guy. (Or maybe he is and I just haven't heard him do that, he's a talented guy. But you get my point...)

To awkwardly paraphrase the cliche about teach a man etc, there's lot of plusses to learning to fish. We have an enormously flexible box with a bazillion wonderful tones inside. Go wandering!

If course there's nothing wrong with buying presets to get started if you want, but I bet you'll eventually want to head out on your own.

Everything recommended so far is sound... I really love the @austinbuddy packs and also checkout @simeon presets. His are donation so you can give whatever you think the value is. Also, @yek recently posted a ton of presets that are AWESOME and free. @camilovelandiamusic has some good ones and also @Chadwick posted a bunch of U2 presets that are really great and also free. I found tons of cool inspiring tones in those and I'm not all that much of a U2/Edge fan but they made me want to go back and do some critical listening.

The reason I suggested Leon and Burgs is that you want to reverse engineer and learn to make your own. These are free and awesome. Just search Youtube or the Axe Exchange for the presets. Search by Author on the exchange. If you want to drop $$, I've bought AB's and Fremen's in the past. Both are excellent. Fremen allows you to buy individual amp packs(not all are covered, but most mid to high gain are).
That's what Im going to do but be good just to explore for a little while, considering I've only played Marshall and Fender amps. Ultimately I will be looking at set ups and what sounds great. Also I do love my old Tsl 100 but it doesn't get used and she's to big, looking to upgrade down the track. I will be using this to get some idea of the amp that will suit me best.

Are you chasing certain tones? There are some good preset makers listed above. Go to Axe-Change and start with Leon Todd and Brett Kingman’s free presets. Yek as well. See what you like and don’t. That will give you a better idea. I have a few presets as samples you can download there too. This community is here to help!

Last edited:
This whole forum has been a great help. I'll make my own live patches when I do start playing around the place again.

Back
Top Bottom