Recommendations for full-bodied clean solo tone?

Coldsummer

Experienced
Greetings fellow Axe-fxists (?)

I'd like to create a full bodied smooth clean tone with plenty of character but no hairy break-up or thin/weedy sound which can be used for clean sounding solos. Ideally something that could take a drive block to add some girth without getting into the fuzz zone. The JC120 pristine clean, or acoustic-like tones are not what I'm after as nice as they are.

I've tried most of the Fender models but I find them too thin or break up too easily. Also tried some Marshall amps (sorry I don't remember which ones) at low gain which again were quite nice but didn't give me enough character at low gain.

I will admit I'm rubbish at creating patches and I do try but I struggle with it. The trouble is they always sound thin and weedy or I use too much gain and end up with a sizzly lead tone, or I get something that sounds OK in isolation but gets totally lost in a mix. I would really appreciate any recommendations for a good amp model as a starting point and maybe any tips to create some 'body' and 'liveliness' without cranking up the gain because I feel like I'm shooting in the dark most times?

I can't really think of a particular example at the moment, but I suppose something Gilmour-like but without the FX wash would come close?

Anyways, any pointers would be really appreciated!

Personally, my favorite for pristine clean is the Shiver Clean. USA Clean 1 and Vibrato Verb are my next favorites.

Reactions: sam
vibrato verb is nice, especially if you want just a hint of hair ( i use the 2x12 boutique cab). For a really sweet clean I use the JC120 (Mr Benson stock preset)

The TX Star Clean and Vibrato Verbs are a couple of my faves. Also consider putting a comp block in front of the amp and setting it for mild compression. That can make for a fuller, richer sound.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

the multiband compressor after the amp with default settings is also very nice, especially if you want to retain the dynamic "feel" of the amp but keep the levels fairly solid. works like magic. :)

the multiband compressor after the amp with default settings is also very nice, especially if you want to retain the dynamic "feel" of the amp but keep the levels fairly solid. works like magic. :)

Hi Simeon

Basic question...directly after the amp and before the cab or after the cab....Thanks

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.....just want to know

Thanks everyone, I would never have thought to try a multiband compressor Simeon so I'll be interested to experiment with that because keeping the dynamic feel at lower gain levels has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

Don't be afraid to try crazy settings. I have a double verb with the gain turned down to less than one with the master cranked and the level boosted. I use the multiband compressor too and it gets me that fat clean tone. Tone is so subjective though. Some people might hate my favorite sounds and vice versa. Experiment and don't be afraid. Copy a preset that is close to your liking over to 2 or 3 locations and just go crazy, you never know what you might get. You can just restore the original preset and start again if you get lost. The more time that you invest the better you will get at creating presets to your liking.

Dude, I had totally forgotten there was a multiband comp in the AFX. Oh, by the way, Simeon, I love your synth, pitch, and delay presets and blocks.

Dual amps can also work wonders for thickening up your clean tones.
I highly recommend trying that out.
Pick two different amp/cab combinations that compliment each other well.
For instance, pick on amp that has a scooped mid sound and then add an amp to it that has more mids.

Also like some others have said, a compressor before the amp works wonders.
I use settings that were suggested by yek some time ago.
Pedal comp 2, attack at fastest setting, release almost at fastest setting, set it for a few db's of gain reduction (2 or 3 db works for me).

Dual amps can also work wonders for thickening up your clean tones.
I highly recommend trying that out.
Pick two different amp/cab combinations that compliment each other well.
For instance, pick on amp that has a scooped mid sound and then add an amp to it that has more mids.

I watched a youtube via few weeks back where a really nice "metal lead" tone was created by merging 2x complementary amp/cab combos. This post caught my eye as I spent time last night trying to relocate it as I wanted to use that info a jumping off point for my learning/experimentation. Sadly, I failed to relocate it. :(

Anyway... Anybody care to share ultra clean presets that have a dual amp? Also, I'd be interested in any tutorial videos just as a refresher. Frankly, I understand the general setup. My major issue is that the AxeFX offers an overwhelming choice of options and selections. My downfall us usually finding amp/cab combos that are truly complementary. For reference, I find I lean on the Band Commander and Double Verb amps for my clean tones but I'm happy to experiment with others.

I love my AxeFX but it's so easy to get lost! :)

Cheers.

I use any of the Marshall style amp such as the Plexi 50 or 100 and roll back the volume on your guitar. Notes seem to have more character vs selected a clean style amp.

TX Star Clean (Master and Input Drive down) or the Shiver Clean are great. USA Clean comes as a close second.

Make sure to use an IR with a ribbon mic to get the low and high end. I'm also a fan of Cab Pack 10's TX star IRs.

It may seem obvious but have you tried the Hiwatt models yet? I forget which model I use (maybe "normal") for one of my tele presets, but I run the drive on the amp all the way up to 10 (all other settings are default) and it stays pretty clean and very "full" sounding to me, even turned full up. You may need to back off a bit from 10 depending on the guitar used though.

I'm not using this for Gilmour tones in the least so not sure on that, but it's an interesting model and different than the Fender type clean sounds for sure. I always set Fender amps to where they'll break up a bit when you dig in while playing (play harder) and usually back off the guitar volume a bit until I need that reaction. Then add a drive pedal for another gain stage. I use the JTM 45 model for yet another type of clean tone and stick to more typical celestion-based IR's for it.

Back
Top Bottom