Recommendations for Easy Instrument to Learn/Play

Genghis

Power User
This may be kind of an outside the box request, but I'm looking for some type of musical instrument that would be easy for my cousin to play. I'll fill in a bit of the background, but he is 46, and high functioning Down's Syndrome. Awesome guy, and he comes to all of the rehearsals with my band and sings along and does his Elvis thing. He's at every show we do dancing and rockin in front of the stage, and I have even started working on a few songs with him singing in my studio, just for our own fun. It just seems good for his soul to make up his own lyrics and sing.

I thought of possibly something like an auto-harp, or maybe just some bongos to get him learning a bit about rhythm. Any other suggestions on something that would just give him the ability to have some fun and get a bit more involved?

The back-story for those who are interested: My cousin Shawn basically grew up here in the same town I am in. He is about 10 years younger than me, so while we did hang at family events and things we had a bit of a gap in ages, and weren't super close. Had some fun when I'd see him of course, but not hanging out a lot.

Flash forward, I moved to So Cal in '86 to hit the music scene, then messed up and got a real job. In 2016, I was able to get a transfer back to my home town to look after my mom as she was having health issues and needed me closer. Shawn's dad also had some health concerns and was still trying to manage caring for Shawn, so he had Shawn's older sister move in with him to help out.

In 2018, my Hospice became involved in my mom's care, as it was getting near the time we knew was sure to come. Around that time my uncle was suffering more and more physical pain and depression and decided to end his own life. It was very traumatic for all of us. My mom passed about 3 weeks later.

We had a huge concern because there was a high probability that my two cousins would not have a place to live. (Long story) So we came up with a plan that I would sell my mom's house and buy my uncle's place and we could life there. (Didn't want to have roommates and go into debt, but I was very concerned that Shawn would get put into a system home of some type, and he has always had family.)

Over the past couple of years, Shawn and I have bonded. He grew up on Elvis, The Beach Boys, and all kinds of music that his dad enjoyed with him, and he has become very enthusiastic about the band and is having a blast being a part of our little thing. He even loves the metal I'm into and says I sound like a werewolf when I get into my most screaming death metal (which isn't really often... just fun now and then.) Cracks me up when he sings along with Arch Enemy and does it himself.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I really want to find something else he can play for his own enjoyment and figured maybe some of you would have some ideas.
Thanks!

What about one of those 3 string slide guitars in open tuning?

If he has a good ear it would be easy to play chords. No typical issues with learning how to fret with multiple fingers...

Also, FYI, thanks for sharing the story :)

What about one of those 3 string slide guitars in open tuning?

If he has a good ear it would be easy to play chords. No typical issues with learning how to fret with multiple fingers...

Also, FYI, thanks for sharing the story :)
I like that idea. I'll see if I can find one.

He doesn't exactly have a great ear, but I think as long as he doesn't have to actually finger chords I think he could pick it up.

Thanks for the idea!

It would require someone to program it or at the very least setup with a preset, but the colors and lights could be fun and engaging for him.

First thing that came to mind is some form of drum or rhythm machine like the Native Maschine.

Oh, I like that. Might be a little more high tech than he could use, but still good idea. I could use it in my studio too, and he could tap on it when we are recording.

It would require someone to program it or at the very least setup with a preset, but the colors and lights could be fun and engaging for him.
Yeah, I'm sure I could get him set with a preset or two and get him going.

He knows how to work his DVD player and all his TV stuff. Huge movie and Star Wars buff.

I'm amazed at how much hanging out with him has affected me.

New Year's Eve on 2018-2019 we went to see some friends play in a local band, and he was out there dancing and doing his Elvis and enjoying it without a care in the world. I made my New Year's Resolution for 2019 to be more like Shawn. I didn't know how I would do it or anything, but somehow the universe heard and it just started happening naturally.

Been a blessing that started with a bit of family tragedy, but so glad for how things have pulled together.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for sharing.

You literally made my day.
Gives me hope in climbing over my mountains of darkness, with no end in sight.
Your selfless acts of kindness amidst tragedy, is inspiring to say the least.
You gave all of you, in every way so that Shawn could be happy and stable.
The fact that you include him in your music, speaks volumes for the kind of heart you have.

Maybe the Jambox would be a good instrument for Shawn?
It's kind of like an electronic mouth harp from what i understand

The world could use a whole lot more "Genghis"

I like that idea. I'll see if I can find one.

He doesn't exactly have a great ear, but I think as long as he doesn't have to actually finger chords I think he could pick it up.

Thanks for the idea!
You could tune it to make one finger power chords. Plug that into a modeler with effects and he could have a great time jamming along.

Thank you all for the kind words and great suggestions. I think I'll probably look for a 3 or 4 string guitar of some kind. I searched Reverb and there are a lot of cigar box guitars that would be good. I really think if I can find a small electric like that it would be cool. Set him up with my little Blackstar Fly and show him how to bar.

His dad had given him a small acoustic that is just beat up, but he just strums the open strings. At kne point I tunes it to open E, but he doesn't quite keep up with barring. With 3 strings he might be fine woth that.

Thanks again everyone. This is my favorite forum and the Fractal stuff has been my favorite guitar gear for a long time.

...Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I really want to find something else he can play for his own enjoyment and figured maybe some of you would have some ideas.
Thanks!
Personal opinion, but I don't think anyone should ever have to apologize for a long post. Especially when they have an important story to tell. Much respect to you for helping your cousin.

Get him a Seagull M4: http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/products/m4

They are really inexpensive and also basically tuned to a scale so there are no wrong notes. It’s great for beginners because no matter what you play it can sound musical.

The strumming and fretting muscle skills can carry over to uke or guitar in the future
That looks very cool. I forgot that he is a lefty, and they have a lefty model available too! Might have to do more research on this one. Thank you for the rec!

Thanks again everyone, and special thanks to @Kamil Kisiel . I did a little research on those Seagull M4s and found one on Reverb brand new for about $20 off the standard price. Left hand model and all. I couldn't resist. Can't wait to give it to him on his birthday a month from now!

Back
Top Bottom