Recommendations for an FRFR monitor for Band Practice and backline for small gigs.

Chris B.

Hi all, I know this topic has been discussed at length in many posts (I believe I have probably read most of them). To give some background, I have tried the ASC-10 (twice actually) and I am just not happy with the overly present bass and the fact that the presets do not translate well at all. Additionally, i noticed that getting an organic feedback sound is not really possible with this unit. I have looked at getting an Atomic CLR, but I am weary about their support and if they would be loud enough for my situation. In addition, although they have communicated a lot with me recently on questions I had, they never seem to be in stock. This leads me to believe I should maybe consider a Yamaha DXR10 or a QSC K10.2, but admittedly this would not look very good as a backline during small gigs. My band does not use in-ear monitors and I would need something that could do a good job of getting sound to the band in a rehearsal setting, along with on stage. I really appreciate any help or guidance as it is the last missing piece to my setup.

Thanks!

CLR is more than loud enough...my rock band uses a pair on top of KW181 as our PA as well as another I use as my monitor. For what its worth, I've received amazing service from them!

CLR is more than loud enough...my rock band uses a pair on top of KW181 as our PA as well as another I use as my monitor. For what its worth, I've received amazing service from them!
Thanks for the information! If I only ran the AX3 to one back line CLR during rehearsals (no PA) would that still be loud enough?

Hi all, I know this topic has been discussed at length in many posts (I believe I have probably read most of them). To give some background, I have tried the ASC-10 (twice actually) and I am just not happy with the overly present bass and the fact that the presets do not translate well at all. Additionally, i noticed that getting an organic feedback sound is not really possible with this unit. I have looked at getting an Atomic CLR, but I am weary about their support and if they would be loud enough for my situation. In addition, although they have communicated a lot with me recently on questions I had, they never seem to be in stock. This leads me to believe I should maybe consider a Yamaha DXR10 or a QSC K10.2, but admittedly this would not look very good as a backline during small gigs. My band does not use in-ear monitors and I would need something that could do a good job of getting sound to the band in a rehearsal setting, along with on stage. I really appreciate any help or guidance as it is the last missing piece to my setup.

Thanks!

What I did with the ASC-10 was to tilt it up towards me. It is my monitor in front of me. I installed a couple of fender tilt back arms on it. It worked amazingly well! I had the ASM-10 but I just found it awkward to take anywhere and it had a crispy sound to it that I didn’t like as much. Mine sounds great this way and no issues with it translating to FOH. I’m gathering you are using the bass cut switch not he back as well?

Do you run your Axe III to FOH?

For those gigs when I need backline, I use a real amp and cabinet. There simply is no substitute for that for me. For the majority of anything I am doing though, we are running to FOH and I only need a monitor for myself in front of me. I don’t need to blast the bejesus out of everyone else on stage. Everyone can control their mix into their monitors from our small mixer.

What I did with the ASC-10 was to tilt it up towards me. It is my monitor in front of me. I installed a couple of fender tilt back arms on it. It worked amazingly well! I had the ASM-10 but I just found it awkward to take anywhere and it had a crispy sound to it that I didn’t like as much. Mine sounds great this way and no issues with it translating to FOH. I’m gathering you are using the bass cut switch not he back as well?

Do you run your Axe III to FOH?

For those gigs when I need backline, I use a real amp and cabinet. There simply is no substitute for that for me. For the majority of anything I am doing though, we are running to FOH and I only need a monitor for myself in front of me. I don’t need to blast the bejesus out of everyone else on stage. Everyone can control their mix into their monitors from our small mixer.
Thanks. Yes I have the bass cut on. And most gigs would have a PA. However we are far from professionals as this is more of our hobby. Getting good mixes in our monitors has often been a problem. Not to mention I do go wireless and if I’m not directly in front of a monitor it’s hard for me to hear myself without a back line

Thanks!
I use the Headrush 1x12 and it sounds great, cheaper, 2000watts, and light. No issues with it. I had the ASM-12 and sold it. Thought it sounded great but it was heavier than I wanted to haul around.

Thanks for the information! If I only ran the AX3 to one back line CLR during rehearsals (no PA) would that still be loud enough?
Easily! At a gig, I use it as a floor monitor either directly in front of my or to the side of my throwing across stage. At home, I put it on a speaker stand where the tweeter is above my ears. I prefer it on a speaker stand in the FF mode...I feel it's most accurate that way and can be run at a lower volume as well.
Where are you located? IF you're near, you're more than welcome to check mine out.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's not aimed at your feet while you play. This is a large part of why people struggle to hear their rigs, regardless of what that rig is.

That's why I chose my powercab 112+ (and the used price). It's got kickback legs so it's aimed at my head.

Thanks. Yes I have the bass cut on. And most gigs would have a PA. However we are far from professionals as this is more of our hobby. Getting good mixes in our monitors has often been a problem. Not to mention I do go wireless and if I’m not directly in front of a monitor it’s hard for me to hear myself without a back line

Not professional here either. Yes, we get paid to play but for us it is more fun and a hobby like yourself. I run wireless as well. I found with the ASC tilted up like Budda has with his Powercab, I get a half decent spread where I can hear myself enough. I have to do a lot of backing vocals so I’m not venturing away from my mic all that much.

CLR’s are great but I really didn’t like it all that much when I tried one. The problem with those is they make them in such small batches, you really can never get them. Either way, it sounds like you need to find something that works better for how you want to play live.

Last edited:
When a loud bass is your problem, the CLR will not solve it. It's on the rather fat side of the range.
However presets should translate well almost everywhere when you plan to send your signal to some different PA systems.
You could tweak your presets and try them on some different monitors and when they work everywhere they are good.

When a loud bass is your problem, the CLR will not solve it. It's on the rather fat side of the range.
However presets should translate well almost everywhere when you plan to send your signal to some different PA systems.
You could tweak your presets and try them on some different monitors and when they work everywhere they are good.
Although I admit I’m still learning to make my own presets sound better. I do find that the stock presets sounded really well on everything I have put them through except the asc-10. Would you say the stock presets are not designed to go direct to a PA?

Although I admit I’m still learning to make my own presets sound better. I do find that the stock presets sounded really well on everything I have put them through except the asc-10. Would you say the stock presets are not designed to go direct to a PA?

For many presets you should have a Strat, and for some a Paula or an RG is the right choice. With something uncommon you need to tweak a lot anyway.
For my taste they all need some mid boost to easier cut in the mix.
But it depends on the band. It makes a big difference if there is just one guitar player in the band and if the bass player plays rather the lowest octave. The more space there is free for your guitar the fatter and smoother you can setup your sounds. With two guitars and a midrangey bass you need more focussed mids and a more prominent attack. That also implies that it is impossible for the factory presets to fit everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom