Recommendations for a kids guitar?

Hard Luck Kings has some decent stuff that you won't need to explain to friends if she decides she doesn't want to continue with it at some point and you end up inheriting the guitar....

This is easy.

Squier mini strat

Have sweetwater do a setup with good strings and fret dressing on it. My buddy and I conspired to get one for his 8 year old. So it came and I took it to a tech to get it set up and it was actually playable.

And yes it comes in pink, too. They're actually quite good inf they're set up correctly.
Agreed! I bought my son one of these mini strat. I set it up and it plays great! Surprised with the quality too!

Yeah, that's why I suggested it above. Lots of great input here, but it's really difficult to beat Daisy Rock for the "Chick Factor". I mean the whole brand was developed with that in mind.
Its really depends on the child state of mind, I use to teach guitar and had several students that were under 10 for a while, some kids can be grown well beyond their years and may be offended, and yet others may be inspired by a DR guitar, op needs to know his child and can make the right call. All children should have a music education imo its something that they will use for the rest of their lives.

Its really depends on the child state of mind, I use to teach guitar and had several students that were under 10 for a while, some kids can be grown well beyond their years and may be offended, and yet others may be inspired by a DR guitar, op needs to know his child and can make the right call. All children should have a music education imo its something that they will use for the rest of their lives.
He's asking for a 5 y.o. though, being the father of 7 girls, you can rest assured that no 5 y.o. will be offended by Daisy Rock.

And yes, all children should have some sort of music education regardless of whether they pursue it or not.

Are the daisy rock guitars okay as far as playability and holding a tune?
It's been a few years since I researched them, but the answer I found was 'yes'. I actually opted to purchase a scaled down Yamaha classical for my girls as I opted to go a different route in their initial instruction.

Lots of good info above. I'm not familiar with all of them, but I do know that DR has some added features (thinner necks) for little hands. Perhaps the rest do as well, I'm not certain, but again they were built specifically with girls in mind.

So I’ve taught many, many kids under the age of 10, and my advice is, no matter what guitar you end up getting, make sure the neck is in top-notch condition. In particular, pay attention to the fret ends. I can’t tell you how many times a kid would come in with a fretboard like a cheese grater, and then end up quitting because their parents would not pay to fix the problem despite my insistence that they do so.

Also, find out what your daughter’s favorite color is (which can be different every week but do your best.) Aesthetics matter a ton for kids, and a guitar that’s the “wrong color” can be surprisingly demotivating for a child. Kids want to feel awesome while playing guitar just as much as adults do.

Overall, I find strat style guitars work great for kids. The body size isn’t overwhelming, necks are typically slim, and they’re easy to grow into and modify.

Back
Top Bottom