Recommendation for best XLR cables

brianoc

Anyone have a brand/model of XLR cables that they can recommend? I think I have Planet Waves cables, no complaints just wondering if a higher end cable makes a big difference?

Edited: Might as well ask about instrument cables as well if anyone has recommendations. Thanks!

What do you mean by "a big difference"? My guess is that low impedance signals generally are less demanding on cabling as far as signal quality is concerned. So you probably would have a hard time telling the difference in sound past a certain quality threshold.

There's probably more difference in connector quality and durability between cheap and premium XLR cables than anything else. So if you're playing out and constantly connecting and disconnecting the cables, and people are yanking on them or walking on (or tripping over) them, there's probably a clear value in spending more for better cables.

Reactions: Rex
cool thanks I will check out the suggestions. As for "big difference" I guess I should clarify as I meant sound quality but now you made me also think about durability as well. Thanks all!

I’ve used $10 20 ft cables and I’ve used $80 20 ft cables. Personally I heard no difference live, and definitely not night and day even when a studio environment. I just look for general durability.

The last time I ordered XLR cables, I ended up just going with MonoPrice since I also needed an HDMI cable at the time. I have no complaints.

As far as instrument cables, I really like the PRS one I picked up because it has silent jacks that stop those annoying loud pops from when you jack in and it resists tangling better than other cables I've tried.

Your Axe-Fx is sending a strong, low-impedance signal to the XLR cable. Under those conditions, you’d be hard-pressed to hear a difference between any two XLR cables that are functioning correctly, regardless of “quality,” unless you’re running hundreds of feet of cable.

+1 for Bestronics. They’re rugged, durable and reliable, and they don’t gouge you with inflated boutique prices.

I agree with @chris. Durability is my number 1 priority. The ones I had that lasted the longest were ones I made myself using good quality ends and cables. I thing the cable was Belden and the ends were Neutrik. It was my first try at soldering many years ago.

Just used Pro Audio LA recently as well. Went with Mogami cables. I have purchased rolls of cables and soldered my own as well. After I priced in the cost of cable and various styles of Neutrik connectors, it wound up being cheaper just having them make the cables.

Back
Top Bottom