Recommendation an electric guitar string brand for recording a Prog/Metal Album ?

Used super slinkys for years and then switched to elixir nanowebs. I recently tried the M-steels and absoultely hated them. Very gritty feeling for lack of a better term. Lots of excess string noise due to what seems to be a coarser texture. Going back to nanowebs.

I tried Ernie Ball Cobalts recently and had a similar experience with them, unpleasant texture, gritty feel, and I didn't really find they lasted any longer than regular slinkys.

I didn't like the EB Cobalts, either. Tried the Elixir nanowebs and just love how they feel, although it took me a few hours of playing until they stopped being too slippery. I've had them on the guitar for about a month now and they still feel like new, minus the slippery bit ;)

I didn't like the EB Cobalts, either. Tried the Elixir nanowebs and just love how they feel, although it took me a few hours of playing until they stopped being too slippery. I've had them on the guitar for about a month now and they still feel like new, minus the slippery bit ;)

Do you tested polyweb as well, if yes, what's the differences ?

I'm a fan of DR strings for their tone, which seems a bit fuller to me (though I think everyone's impression of a string's tone is distorted by the fact that when you try them out, you're always comparing new strings to old). In the recent past, though, DRs have had occasional reports of bad intonation (I encountered a DR string like that), and I bought one pack that had two G strings and no B string.

I particularly liked DR's DDT ("Drop Down Tuning") strings. Even though I tune to concert pitch, I like the fact that they settle in quickly, with very little stretch-in.

IMO, you can't go wrong with D'Addario. They're solid, dependable and consistent. Many of the strings you can buy in stores or online are rebranded D'Addarios. And for solid strings, there's not a lot of difference between one well-made brand and the rest of them. And it's not unheard of for one string brand to call another, asking to buy, for instance, a couple of thousand .016's to make up for a a stock shortage.

I'll throw in another vote for D'Addario and DR strings.

I'm trying out Kalium strings right now. They definitely have a distinctive sound. I'm not sure yet whether that's good or bad.

I'm a fan of DR strings for their tone, which seems a bit fuller to me (though I think everyone's impression of a string's tone is distorted by the fact that when you try them out, you're always comparing new strings to old). In the recent past, though, DRs have had occasional reports of bad intonation (I encountered a DR string like that), and I bought one pack that had two G strings and no B string.

I particularly liked DR's DDT ("Drop Down Tuning") strings. Even though I tune to concert pitch, I like the fact that they settle in quickly, with very little stretch-in.

IMO, you can't go wrong with D'Addario. They're solid, dependable and consistent. Many of the strings you can buy in stores or online are rebranded D'Addarios. And for solid strings, there's not a lot of difference between one well-made brand and the rest of them. And it's not unheard of for one string brand to call another, asking to buy, for instance, a couple of thousand .016's to make up for a a stock shortage.

Do you have something recorded with DR DDT strings, Clean or Distortion or both with Axe-Fx ll ?

Do you have something recorded with DR DDT strings, Clean or Distortion or both with Axe-Fx ll ?
Nope. Sorry. I can't say with certainty what strings I used on anything I recorded. But it's worthwhile to try out a set. They work great for any kind of music I've thrown at them, and the almost-total lack of stretch-in time is a real boon in the middle of a set.

Isn't there any one else to have experience with other String Brands ???, is the Elixir Strings the best suggestion for most of the guitar players !?,

Why don't you just buy like 5-6 sets from different manufacturers and try them out? That's not to expensive, it's however time-consuming. I personally use D'Addario EXL110-7 on my 7-string EBMM JP12, mainly for three reasons: 1st) The 7th string is a .059, which I prefer to the .056 other brands sell, and the rest is like a usual 010-046-set. 2nd) They are fairly cheap at thomann.de compared to other brands. 3rd) They sound decent.

Why don't you just buy like 5-6 sets from different manufacturers and try them out? That's not to expensive, it's however time-consuming. I personally use D'Addario EXL110-7 on my 7-string EBMM JP12, mainly for three reasons: 1st) The 7th string is a .059, which I prefer to the .056 other brands sell, and the rest is like a usual 010-046-set. 2nd) They are fairly cheap at thomann.de compared to other brands. 3rd) They sound decent.

I have to record a whole prog/metal album, I haven't enough time and also money :nightmare: in order to test some other brands !, So 90% I will go for Elixir and some Cleartone Strings for our Drop-B Songs !

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I forgot what your thread was about and just replied. In your case, I'd probably go with Elixir too, because you'd get best consistency.

My suggestion would be to use regular strings for recordings. Those long lasting strings are good for acoustic guitars IMO but in all my comparisons I preferred the sound and feel of regular strings. I've given d'Addario so many chances since so many people prefer them but for me personally nothing beats Ernie Ball. They sound and feel perfect and are the #1 string brand for a reason IMO. :) Didn't like the Cobalts. Elixir Nanowebs make my acoustic sound better than it ever did before.

My suggestion would be to use regular strings for recordings. Those long lasting strings are good for acoustic guitars IMO but in all my comparisons I preferred the sound and feel of regular strings. I've given d'Addario so many chances since so many people prefer them but for me personally nothing beats Ernie Ball. They sound and feel perfect and are the #1 string brand for a reason IMO. :) Didn't like the Cobalts. Elixir Nanowebs make my acoustic sound better than it ever did before.

This is the same for me, work for word.

well actually, it was the first time that I had experienced them and absolutely loved em... why ?, because on the one hand it's sound, color and feel hadn't changed at all during the recording in one of our songs, it's almost 15 mins !, on the other hand the most important thing for me was about my recording waves... as for the waves there were no difference between the waves in 11 mins and 1 or 2 mins, it didn't get slim at all, so I'm curious about the reason you don't liked the Elixir strings ?

Using Elixer NanoWeb for years, the high b and e strings are NOT coated.

I just bought a ESP E-II M-II and it came with Cleartone 46-9 and I didn't like them at all. They are very brittle and clanky sounding.

The video, while a neat experiment tells us nothing except that salt and water is corrosive. Even using coated strings if you take a minute to wipe down your guitar after playing this kind of corrosion will never happen.

True, but they do have an anti-rust version for the high strings. Careful though, not all of their sets have this.
+1 (er, -1) for not liking Cleartones... can't really recall why, they just didn't do it for me.
I've been using EB slinky top heavy bottoms for a long time now. They're cheap, so changing them often isn't a problem. For studio work, I would probably look into some of those Elixer sets just because I wouldn't want to be spending my time (and $) on changing strings, especially if I was on a hot streak and had the brakes put on me because an engineer was telling me my tone was going dead.

Back
Top Bottom