Recommend me some technical metal

Arcturus (Masquerade Infernale, Sideshow Symphonies; not super technical though).

Meh, The Sham Mirrors is by far their best. :)

A good new prog metal album is Arch/Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance. Arch's voice might be a bit of an acquired taste, but if that's not a problem for you, their first release is fantastic, and doesn't descend into pointless wankery like so much other prog metal.

The (now ex-) 2nd guitarist from Cynic also did a little instrumental side project with some other guys, Exivious. Pretty sure they have a Myspace page or whatever where you can hear some of it. Basically it's fusiony metal... great playing, great writing... and most of the guitars were recorded with an Axe-FX. :)

Some other good prog metal bands, Andromeda ("II=I" is my favourite of theirs, but all their releases have been good so far), Beyond Twilight (check out "For the Love of Art and the Making"), Circus Maximus (a bit more wanky and "typical prog metal", but they do it well), OSI ("Free" and "Blood" are two of my favourite "modern" albums... although you're not going to hear much technical guitar playing here), Pain of Salvation (so much to say, can't be bothered typing anymore...).

If you want something a bit different, try Diablo Swing Orchestra. :)

The first that comes to mind is Scale the Summit, and all-instrumental band that rocks.

Also, Haken, kind of a prog-rock metal band with good vox.

I agree with many of the other bands posted as well.

How has Necrophagist not been mentioned?
Also, the Francesco Artusato project is great!

If you had read the OP, you would know why Necrophagist haven't been mentioned.

Those dudes can can play their asses off, and it's well written and well produced. But all you really hear is "RRRRROOOOARRRRRR! WWWHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH! DEATH!!!! PAIN!!!! MISERY!!!!! WWWWCHHHHHAAAARRRGGGHHTHTH!"

Can you recommend some good modern metal that is either instrumental or has more tolerable vocals?

;)

canvas solaris---really cool all instrumental very technical
REDEMPTION REDEMPTION REDEMPTION REDEMPTION REDEMPTION REDEMPTION--seriously vocalist from fates warning all clear very technical maybe the best songwriting in metal these days

If you had read the OP, you would know why Necrophagist haven't been mentioned.

;)
I read that actually. But if one recalls Necrophagist, especially epitaph, Suicmez growls a 6 word phrase and the rest is medley medley meeeeee :razz

Checkout Helstar's albums "Nosferatu" and "A Distant Thunder".

Two late-80's technical metal albums with a strong neoclassical vibe. The singer is an acquired taste, though.

Amazon.com: Nosferatu: Helstar: Music

Amazon.com: Distant Thunder: Helstar: Music

Helstar was musically inactive for many, many years. They released an album, Multiples of Black, in the 90's that was very poorly received. Apparently they have a new album out. I'm giving it a listen on Youtube right now. It's very, very stylistically different to Nosferatu and A Distant Thunder. Much more straight-ahead thrash. It's not bad music, actually. I may pick it up. However, I'd definitely pick up the two albums I linked to first if you're looking for technical metal :)

DGM and Adagio are very technical fun up beat prog metal, amazing guitarists, very good singing. seriously. NOw tell us what ya liked.

I know that someone mentioned Instrumedly, but I'm wondering why Dream Theater as a whole hasn't been mentioned...

A bevy of incredible instrumental songs as well as countless instrumental sections in songs with vocals.

Also Greg Howe's album Introspection has some more metal tracks on it that are killer.

I think the OP has left the building........................................................................................................................

Back
Top Bottom