Recommend me a microphone for vocals (home/hobby level)

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings Guys,

As title say, thinking of getting a decent microphone for vocals, just hobby/fun/home level. I have no budget ideas where "decent" is in this area... 200USD ish ?
All suggestion welcomed, thanks

Hi,

Not sure if you could get one quite that price, but a Neuman TLM102 is a good little mic.

Thanks
Pauly
Greetings Guys,

As title say, thinking of getting a decent microphone for vocals, just hobby/fun/home level. I have no budget ideas where "decent" is in this area... 200USD ish ?
All suggestion welcomed, thanks

Hi,

Not sure if you could get one quite that price, but a Neuman TLM102 is a good little mic.

Thanks
Pauly
Thanks, I saw that one from googling and getting pretty good reviews over all. Seems to be 600bux though, but could hunt for 2nd hand ones. 200 is not set in stone, but if its stretching north of 500, then perhaps need to adjust my expectations.

The TLM102 is a good vocal mic, but I believe it requires phantom power. So, unless you have a power source (preamp, etc), you'd have to get one. Same goes for most other condenser mics.
Thanks... Checked and the Audio interface I bought has 48V so thats good. (for clarification, this is to be used while away from AXE-FX obviously) :D

As already mentioned, the SM58 is the rock of the vocal mic world! For $100, it is a great product that works at home, in studio and on stage and will likely last forever. For just at home and in studio, my next level would be a SM7B (list price $399 I believe, can probably find a used one for $250-300). Also at home and in studio, ribbon mics can be downright dreamy for vocals IMO, but they pick up everything so isolation is important with a ribbon mic. You can find those in your budget. I love my Rhode NTR ribbon mic, but it is I believe about $800 and as mentioned, has limited use! Good luck!

Audio Technica has some decent condenser mics that are pretty affordable. I had an AT2020 and for a simple setup did the job quite well. With your budget, getting the AT2020 and a dynamic vocal/instrument mic is very possible. I prefer the Blue Encore 100 for vocals, more open in the highs than the SM58. The Blue also works great on guitar cabs.

If you want to just have fun without spending a lot.. (40 €) I still rely on a Behringer C1 after 15 years of use

Thanks... Checked and the Audio interface I bought has 48V so thats good. (for clarification, this is to be used while away from AXE-FX obviously) :D
Cool, then you're all set if you decide on a mic that needs 48v.

I'd second the recommendation from @PatrckWD - the SM58 would do the trick and a good choice for a first mic.

An sm58 or even an sm57 you might have lying around (with a pop filter) can sound pretty good with some eq. Simply moving further away from the microphone will help reduce low-end buildup. That will help with the wooly or muffled nature some people may attribute to that mic.

I also agree with JoKeR III's suggestion of an AT2020. But with your suggested budget of around $200 you might be able to find a used AT4040 which is a pretty solid all arounder with more features and accessories.

I've also had good results with the Warm Audio wa47jr. I remember recording vocals with that mic, engaging the "Air" function on my Focusrite Clarett interface, and automatically having a pretty solid sound.

I'm a big fan of getting gear that is affordable and good enough until I find an actual reason why I need to spend a lot of money on something excellent, so I think your budget of around $200 is pretty much perfect.

+1 on the AT2020 or AT4040. Good bang for the buck mics for vocals or acoustic guitars, etc. They'll handle higher SPL's pretty well too so you can mic guitar cabs with them too.

Back
Top Bottom