Recommend me a clip-on tuner

+1 for Snark. While they’re not the most rugged, they hold up well if you don’t abuse them.

Why Snark? Their response is quick, ant the readout is smooth and stable. They latch onto a note quickly. They power on and off instantly — no need to hold down a button and wait. All this makes them well suited to a quick tuneup in the middle of a gig.

Slightly OT but here's something I noticed about my Peterson tuner. It's too good. It sees everything. Sometimes that's a detriment, and that's why I have multiple tuners. The Snark is great for just getting in tune, but not like stupid laser sharp. Maybe it is but it doesn't show you. You don't need that all the time. The Peterson will feed your inner OCD demon if you have one (I do). It will tell you not only if you're out of tune but also just how unstable guitars are, especially those with any kind of trem bridge. I now use it for string changes and setups only.

Maybe I just need to stop with the trems or just block all my trems and be done with it.

Just thinking/typing out loud...

Slightly OT but here's something I noticed about my Peterson tuner. It's too good. It sees everything. Sometimes that's a detriment, and that's why I have multiple tuners. The Snark is great for just getting in tune, but not like stupid laser sharp. Maybe it is but it doesn't show you. You don't need that all the time. The Peterson will feed your inner OCD demon if you have one (I do). It will tell you not only if you're out of tune but also just how unstable guitars are, especially those with any kind of trem bridge. I now use it for string changes and setups only.

Maybe I just need to stop with the trems or just block all my trems and be done with it.

Just thinking/typing out loud...
Well put. For middle-of-the-gig tuneups, you don’t need or want razor-sharp accuracy. That just gets in the way of getting in tune and getting back to your music. Advantage: Snark.

I've had a couple of Snarks and they were good tuners until they broke, not fragile but not robust either. Did have minor issues with them registering the lower strings but a good deal. I found a TC Polytune for $40, that's as much as I could justify for a clip on tuner, and it's as good as advertised. I have found the "poly" feature quite useful; a single strum to see which strings are out of tune.

I use polytune. One strum and it immediately shows which string is out of tune. Killer feature. And it’s also stroboscopic and doesn’t look like ass.

Polytune rocks - overall performance is great, plus fast accurate tracking in noisy environments.

The only disadvantage is cost, but really, after paying a couple of thousand for a guitar, $50 is not that much to ask. I remember paying 4 times as much for pedal strobe tuners just a few years ago, and they weren't as good.

I bought the polytune recently for my traveler and I'm liking it so far. Never had a clip on before but this one seems to work quickly and well.... Which is good because that guitar doesn't hold tune all that great.

Back
Top Bottom