Recommend IR's please

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
Well I've had the FM3 for about a month now, and still getting used to it. I have downloaded a bunch of presets and a few free IR's. I still haven't found what I need tonewise. I have been playing with some guys, and I'm bringing both my regular rig and the FM3 into a Headrush 112. Mostly using my amp but I do attempt to use the FM3. I want to go 100% FM3.

I'm a classic rock and blues based rock guy who also likes heavy stuff like Sabbath, Priest, Alice in Chains etc. For my amp rig I build my own amps. Current is a 50 watt Plexi-ish build. For pedals I use a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and an OCD. The OCD is usually on and I just quick adjust the drive on it depending on what we're playing. The Wampler I stack into the OCD, and usually kick it on for solos, or leave it on and use my guitar volume. The Wampler is good for edge of break up tones as well. So that's where I'm at in the tonal spectrum.

I think my problems are two fold. One is I'm having a tough time getting used to the FRFR modeled amp sound. The other is the sheer quantity of variables, it's almost too much. I'm getting better at it though. The IR's (speakers, miked speakers etc) have a massive impact on tone, which I have been well aware of for years. But normally I only have a few choices, and now it's almost infinite.

I also get ear fatigue. I'll tweak away and think I have something good. Then onto something else. And then when I go back to my 'good' preset, it sounds not so good.

Which brings me to my post, IR's. I am willing to pay for some quality IR's. My cab I'm using has a V30 and a Heritage 30, a 212 semi open back with a pillow jammed in the back. Sounds good. I also have a 4 X 12 V30 cab, but I don't feel like lugging that around. So I like the honk of the V30's.

Can any of you recommend stock cabs or vendor IR's? Like the Yorks, which pack? I'm not always balls out, lots of the time I'm low gain but I do love my break up. I'm hoping to just buy a mix that will work for me. Ownhammer, York, whoever, whatever works.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Use an amp close to the type of your own amp. Shoot an IR of your own cab the way you mic it when you play out. Do not tweak anything other then what would be on a real amp. Do not over think it and fall in the rabbit hole unless that is were you really want to go.

Use an amp close to the type of your own amp. Shoot an IR of your own cab the way you mic it when you play out. Do not tweak anything other then what would be on a real amp. Do not over think it and fall in the rabbit hole unless that is were you really want to go.
Maybe one of these days I’ll try that. For now I need to settle on a few stick IRs or buy some. Once I find what I like I’ll most likely only be using 2-3 at most. Thanks.

My advice, I would pick a stock cab v30 that is close to what you are looking for, and play it a wile. If v30 ain't doing it try some other stock cabs it takes some adjustment time to go from amp cab tone to record tone, no sense buying lots of files just to sit at you computer and click through and listen to endless amounts of IRs. you will go batty after a wile. once you discover roughly what you are looking for then you can buy more in that flavor

York Audio DLX Reverb 1x12 Mix 1 and York Audio Mesa 2x12 V30 Mix 1. There are a few Marshall 4x12 IRs they make that will give you a boxy/mid/compressed thing too if you are going for that with Marshall style amp, but the DLX and the Mesa just work for me in all of my applications (headphones, near field monitors, L6 Powercab+). It's a worthwhile rabbit hole to go down if you have the time and like tweaking sh!t, but try those.

Well I've had the FM3 for about a month now, and still getting used to it. I have downloaded a bunch of presets and a few free IR's. I still haven't found what I need tonewise. I have been playing with some guys, and I'm bringing both my regular rig and the FM3 into a Headrush 112. Mostly using my amp but I do attempt to use the FM3. I want to go 100% FM3.

I'm a classic rock and blues based rock guy who also likes heavy stuff like Sabbath, Priest, Alice in Chains etc. For my amp rig I build my own amps. Current is a 50 watt Plexi-ish build. For pedals I use a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and an OCD. The OCD is usually on and I just quick adjust the drive on it depending on what we're playing. The Wampler I stack into the OCD, and usually kick it on for solos, or leave it on and use my guitar volume. The Wampler is good for edge of break up tones as well. So that's where I'm at in the tonal spectrum.

I think my problems are two fold. One is I'm having a tough time getting used to the FRFR modeled amp sound. The other is the sheer quantity of variables, it's almost too much. I'm getting better at it though. The IR's (speakers, miked speakers etc) have a massive impact on tone, which I have been well aware of for years. But normally I only have a few choices, and now it's almost infinite.

I also get ear fatigue. I'll tweak away and think I have something good. Then onto something else. And then when I go back to my 'good' preset, it sounds not so good.

Which brings me to my post, IR's. I am willing to pay for some quality IR's. My cab I'm using has a V30 and a Heritage 30, a 212 semi open back with a pillow jammed in the back. Sounds good. I also have a 4 X 12 V30 cab, but I don't feel like lugging that around. So I like the honk of the V30's.

Can any of you recommend stock cabs or vendor IR's? Like the Yorks, which pack? I'm not always balls out, lots of the time I'm low gain but I do love my break up. I'm hoping to just buy a mix that will work for me. Ownhammer, York, whoever, whatever works.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

@York Audio
https://www.yorkaudio.co/shop?page=6

FDMN 412 M25-V30​

MRSH 412 M25​

My advice, I would pick a stock cab v30 that is close to what you are looking for, and play it a wile. If v30 ain't doing it try some other stock cabs it takes some adjustment time to go from amp cab tone to record tone, no sense buying lots of files just to sit at you computer and click through and listen to endless amounts of IRs. you will go batty after a wile. once you discover roughly what you are looking for then you can buy more in that flavor

Good advice. I need a good set of headphones to maximize my time with the FM3. Without breaking the bank. I’ll look into that too. That is one of my issues, the time required to go through so many IRS and preset edits vs driving my wife nuts.

Thanks

York Audio! 100%. I have purchased a few over the last couple of years and they are reasonably priced and most importantly, sound amazing!
However....I didn't do this until I had my Axe III for more than a year. There is so many amazing cab IRs right in the box that you don't really need to.

I would start with the York Audio FDMN pack; it offers both greenback and V30 options to play around with. Dig into the individual mics, not just the mixes.

That said, I've come to realize that if you're not happy with the stock IRs, you probably won't come to suddenly love your sound after buying additional ones. The experience of playing through a cab will still not be there. The York options are better than most of the stock IRs, but the experience will still be similar. I'm personally looking into solid state power amps to run the FM3 into a traditional cab for this reason.

Let’s say you can try out 4 a minute. That would come out to over 2000 hours 😀.
And these are the expanded ones. Many are inside zip files, to save space 😅

Some manufacturers put more emphasis on quantity than in selected quality

I would listen to Paranoid about not going down the BUY THIS rabbit hole. I have 100's if not 1,000's of IRS I NEVER use. All paid for.
I am in the same boat my friend. Filled my FM3 with purchase IRs only to got back to the stock cabs with the exception of the OH Mesa 414 which I will readily admit is no better than stock but I have had it for so long, paired with a USA Pre or Clean Fender just sings.

Start with the York Audio 1$ Mesa 2x12 pack. Minimal investment, and is a very good cab/IR. Seeing as you're already familiar with and like V30s, this should give you a good idea of wether you will prefer YA over stock cab offerings.

I am in the same boat my friend. Filled my FM3 with purchase IRs only to got back to the stock cabs with the exception of the OH Mesa 414 which I will readily admit is no better than stock but I have had it for so long, paired with a USA Pre or Clean Fender just sings.
Yup. Mine are from many years here. I do use the some of the EV-irs I have. I like those. Otherwise they just sit on a storage drive.

Appreciate all the insight and advice. I will put some time into finding a good stock cab before I go out and build a collection.

I'm excited about the OCD Drive block in the beta. I downloaded and installed yesterday and will get a chance to try it out later today.

Back
Top Bottom