Recommend in ear buds

ZeeW

Inspired
If I use closed headphones for late night practice, which I have been doing quite a lot of recently - it aggravates my tinnitus, yet the times where I use in ear buds I don't get the same issues with my tinnitus flaring up. So folks, can you recommend me some good quality in ear buds to use. My budget is open on this one.

Thanks

When I use them live, I use the Westone UM3X ear buds. They are not really set up for the bass-heavy CD or iPod listening crowd, but sound more accurate to the way clear live stage music is supposed to sound. I like them.

I have also used the Shure SE 425 and 535 with good results. Two of the guys in my band (who use IEMs exclusively live) use the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, and think very highly of them.

With a properly sealed IEM, you need so much less actual volume to hear clearly. I am sure that is easier on your condition.

Added: Prices range from about $175 or so for the Ultimate Ears on the lower cost to about $400 for the Westone/Shure 535 on the higher. You can spend thousands on custom fitted versions (Westone also does that). Those are street prices, retail is just silly. Be careful on Ebay... there are lots of fakes out there. Look for a reputable dealer.

Last edited:
I am really satisfied with my UE 4 Pro`s ... sounds very (!) similar to my AKG K271S .... at all: Very flat (for the money), no hyped frequencys ... ... IMHO

I use the Westone UM3X and am happy with how they sound. The highs are very controlled, which might be nice on your tinnitus. I tried the lower level Shure units (around $100, can't remember the model) and they had overly accentuated highs.

Thanks for the recommendations - I guess one issue is I need to try before I buy given the level of investment and to see if they effect my tinnitus.

Ultimate Ears These can get VERY expensive but are one of the best from what Ive been reading.
Since your budget is open. :p

Yep, I use these when I want to use in ear monitors for a particular gig. They're great.
You gotta be careful though when making the mold. A friend of mine got his eardrum damaged from the procedure, but he recovered after
six months or so, he was lucky!

As a possible alternative: I have read that Ultrasone closed headphones are designed to minimize tinnitus issues by creating extra "surround" space (or some such palaver).

No idea if its true, but they're certainly good headphones, so they may represent an possible alternative to earbuds.

Thanks for all the replies - I've decided that I'm going to use my studio monitors at low volumes for late night practice.

The fact that there is "air" between a monitor and my ears does seem to help and means I'm not getting issues with my tinnitus.

Headphones on the other hand and buds (I've just tried a pair of Shure buds) seem to aggravate my condition.

I've also started to monitor the SPL that I either play or listen to - just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom