Recommend an HSS strat

Overcaster

Inspired
Might be soon in the market for an HSS strat. Any recommendations?

Should be rather modern, i.e. compatible with higher gains but also have some not too muffled clean capabilities.
Budget: up to 2000€/$

Might be soon in the market for an HSS strat. Any recommendations?

Should be rather modern, i.e. compatible with higher gains but also have some not too muffled clean capabilities.
Budget: up to 2000€/$
hope you find one that fits your needs. I have a fender HSS and not happy. the bridge is just way louder than the other pickups. Can probably be improved with different pickups but for not its just an aggravation. lol

I'll highly recommend looking for a PRS Studio. The version with the two Narrowfield pickups and a 57/08 humbucker at the bridge from 2011-2013 is my favorite of SSH guitars. It covers the bases of Strat sounds really well, is very quiet, sounds like a monster, but cleans up beautifully. And the humbucker balances with the Narrowfields very well.

They had an S2 version but the core version is what I recommend as they're different models. There were also a couple of older versions, but you really want the Narrowfields and that 57/08. Check out reviews of it; Every one I've seen has been very positive.

It's also available as a hardtail, but the PRS tremolo is great.

Another I'm interested in trying is the PRS Fiore, which is Mark Lettieri's signature model.

Last edited:
Great suggestions! I have had several fender strats but not a single one vibed with me. They always felt a bit too harsh.

I have been looking at the old/new Ibanez AZ2204 series and they look quite nice too

I'll second Greg Ferguson's recommendation of the PRS studio. All the things he said are on the nose. I say the things below based on my 2012 Studio, and I don't think the current US-made Core Studios are different in any significant way:

The Narrowfield pickups are hotter and bolder than traditional strat single coils, but they come closer when you roll the volume knob on the guitar down to "8". I feel they are better balanced with the bridge humbucker than a traditional HSS guitar for that reason.

I'll second Greg Ferguson's recommendation of the PRS studio. All the things he said are on the nose. I say the things below based on my 2012 Studio, and I don't think the current US-made Core Studios are different in any significant way:

The Narrowfield pickups are hotter and bolder than traditional strat single coils, but they come closer when you roll the volume knob on the guitar down to "8". I feel they are better balanced with the bridge humbucker than a traditional HSS guitar for that reason.
The Euro appears to be a little weak against the dollar right now, but there's…

https://reverb.com/item/53577877-2011-prs-studio-angry-larry-w-ohsc

which, if I didn't already have one I'd go for it, because it's a nice looking top, not too fancy, just right.

And then there's this one which is already in the UK, and the seller will take offers…

https://reverb.com/item/53386018-2011-paul-reed-smith-studio-prs-black-gold

The Euro appears to be a little weak against the dollar right now, but there's…

https://reverb.com/item/53577877-2011-prs-studio-angry-larry-w-ohsc

which, if I didn't already have one I'd go for it, because it's a nice looking top, not too fancy, just right.

And then there's this one which is already in the UK, and the seller will take offers…

https://reverb.com/item/53386018-2011-paul-reed-smith-studio-prs-black-gold

Sadly that would be approaching 3k, nothing I would be willing to spend. Much appreciated tho. I will keep an eye out for those

I quite like the Fender American Ultra and Ultra Luxxe guitars, the Luxx might be a tad over budget but tried both these out in a shop last month and they played really well. I also played a Suhr Standard HSS which felt and played better than the Suhr Classics. I'm not a fan of those vintage steel bent saddles they stick on the Classics. I recently purchased a G&L S500 and very happy with it, but you could look into the Legacy HSS, IMO these have a superior trem, one of the best I've had TBH.

Also I quite like the Charvel DK HSS guitars and they are well within budget. The new Fender JV modified 50s strat MIJ looks quite tasty too if you want a more vintage vibe. Post a pic of what you buy though, I'm a sucker for a good HSS :)

Back
Top Bottom