Recommend an amp for P&W

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I'm looking to try a new amp for Praise & Worship settings.
I need something with smooth gain / distortion while playing chords,
And would like singing sustain for leads.
What do you recommend?

I don't really know how P&W differs from other genres of music but I imagine that it would mid-gain territory. For that I would recommend the Matchbox D-30, AC-20 Dlx and other "Class A" amps.

Yep! what Cliff says. Any of the Vox varieties will work for mildly overdriven guitar tones.

If you have a song, I might have a preset for it. I have one preset per song.

I don't really know how P&W differs from other genres of music but I imagine that it would mid-gain territory. For that I would recommend the Matchbox D-30, AC-20 Dlx and other "Class A" amps.

yeah, it's 99% boutique ac variants, light breakup, a lot of chime. most PW guys have about 17 drives on their boards, lol. Just imagine U2 crossed with Coldplay crossed with Explosions in the Sky....that's pretty much the PW vibe on guitar.

I've been using a 100 watt Marshall at the core of my P&W preset for years now. Clean up with the volume knob, roll it up to 8 for a strong crunchy rhythm, go to 10 for a lead, hit a PEQ after the cab block for another 3 db of gain if it still isn't enough. Two delays (one 1/4 and one .8th) and two reverbs (one room and one ambient) and I'm good to go.

The boutique Vox amps are pretty popular among a lot of P&W guys. But I don't really think you couldn't accomplish the same task (but perhaps with your own flavor) with almost any low to medium gain amp. I run the marshall because I'm more familiar with it and gravitate more towards that tone personally, but I bet I could swap in a AC-20 Dlx or even a Vibroverb and perhaps tweak a drive block in front to do the same thing. It might have a little different timbre and character, but not a drastically different experience.

Been recently working with the Triptiks, Maz 38, and Tucana. I mentioned in another thread I have been most pleasantly surprised with their versatility. I think they'd work well for ranging from cleans to some of the driven Third Day sort of tones.

I got a really good Jesus Culture sound (Jeff Kunde guitarist) using a mixture of AC30 and DC 30 models. He uses a Jackson Ampworks Brit amp which is a ClassA Vox clone mixed with a Matchless amp of some sort. The mixture is great with a good 2x12 Vox Cab. Get very close to his sound with this. ah yes and the ubiquitous dotted eigth delays as well!!!

Hey Cliff have you looked at Jackson Ampworks amps they are very nice Class A amps.Several of the best know P&W guys have signature models. Nigel Hendroff from Hillsong (Scarlett amp) and Jeffrey Kunde from JC (Luca amp)

As with the real amp I dial in quite a bit of Hi-Cut.
yeah you can tame it, i just prefer the voicing and feel of the DC30 much more. has been my "real life" experience as well.

best part is, the other guys that are the regular guitar 2 and 3 guys at my church play a Matchless Lightning, Matchless Spitfire or AC20...and my Axe tones always smoke theirs... :D

I'm looking to try a new amp for Praise & Worship settings.
I need something with smooth gain / distortion while playing chords,
And would like singing sustain for leads.
What do you recommend?

As a Strat player, I have never really had much success with the Class A amps. For clean tones (and there's always an OD in the chain) I'm using the Fenders mostly. Currently the BF Deluxe, but that changes at times. With or without the OD, that gives me a very versatile set of tones. One of these days I do need to give the Vox-class amps some time as I'm sure it's just me.

Of recent days, my light crunch amp has been the Marshall JTM45. I am really liking this. Again, with an OD in the chain it can cover a lot of territory.

For singing leads, I keep coming back to the Friedman BE/HBE family.

So my basic five patches are sort of "all in the same family" so there isn't a radical tone change.

Disclaimer - I make almost no effort to "nail" the recording. I do what works with my band and in our church. And I find when you play your part well and/or correctly, the sound is right too.

I try to think outside the box when it comes to worship tones. It seems most use an class A Vox style amp (with good reason, they sound great), but at least in my experience, they all sound the same. I tried a real Morgan AC20 for a while, but could never get it to work for me.

I personally use Marshall style amps such as the 1959SLP Jump, or the Plexi 100. Like kleydj13 mentioned above, they clean up extremely well with the volume control.
Also check out the Suhr Badger 18 or the 5F8 Tweed (Keith Urban's amp). Both sound great with reverb, delay, and any number of drives.

Hope this helps.

I try to think outside the box when it comes to worship tones. It seems most use an class A Vox style amp (with good reason, they sound great), but at least in my experience, they all sound the same. I tried a real Morgan AC20 for a while, but could never get it to work for me.

I personally use Marshall style amps such as the 1959SLP Jump, or the Plexi 100. Like kleydj13 mentioned above, they clean up extremely well with the volume control.
Also check out the Suhr Badger 18 or the 5F8 Tweed (Keith Urban's amp). Both sound great with reverb, delay, and any number of drives.

Hope this helps.
there are obviously similarities, since they are based off the AC circuit, but there is def different vibes within those amps.

I've always wanted to like the Badgers but just can't get along with them at all...

I've always wanted to like the Badgers but just can't get along with them at all...

Same here J, honestly I don't know if it's me or if that amp sim is just not one that I really like. Then again, I cannot play anything that Guthrie G plays either... It's a struggle, a real struggle... The Suhr Badgers in real life sound great but I just cant seem to tame that dynamic in the AFX for some reason... Matchless all the way though.

Agreed...there is sweet spot with the Badger amp that I had to dial in before I got it to work under my hands. My brother owns the real Badger 18, and it is the same way. Very cool sounding amp once you find the sweet spot. Definitely won't work for everyone though...

Back
Top Bottom