Recommend alternative IEC Cable

FullReverse

Inspired
So, I have an fx8 and I have a Temple Audio Duo 24 pedalboard. I would like to run the IEC power cable down through one of the bigger holes in the Temple board, but the end of it (the end that plugs into the FX8 is just a LITTLE bit too big to fit. I can always bend/cut the board a little bit, but it's metal so it would be a pain, plus I really want to avoid damaging the board.

Can anyone recommend an alternative solution to the IEC cable? Are there any narrow plug IEC cables?

If anyone was in a similar situation, I would love to hear your solution.

Last edited:
Powercon works great, very secure, but downside is you can’t just grab a random spare if you forget a cord as it’s a proprietary jack

Hey, thanks for pointing those out. The only problem is, I can't get the end that connects to the FX8 to fit through the temple audio hole. which powercon specifically will fit through the hole (the holes on the surface that the fx8 is mounted to) down to the underside of the hole?

I have these installed already, but this power inlet to to supply power to a powerstrip mounted underneath the board (the powerstrip that I want to connect the fx8 to, but the FX8's iec head connector is slightly too big to go through the board...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-IEC--temple-audio-iec-ac-mains-micro-module
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOD-4JPM--temple-audio-4-way-jack-patch-module

I ended up email Temple Audio for a recommendation as well. They suggested this workaround and I'll post it here for awareness if anyone else is facing the same issue.

You can remove the end cap, take a pair of tin snips and extend an existing hole (shown in right part of image) feed your cable through, and replace the end cap. The end cap will completely hide the hole extension. Also, this way there is no cable cutting, and if you have to replace a cable, you just pop off the end cap and put a new one in. It should take all of 5 minutes if you carry a screwdriver with you.. (and if you're playing shows regularly, you should be).

It should also be noted that Temple Audio got back to me in under an hour. Which is pretty incredible.

TempleWorkaround.jpg

I find it easiest to just cut and reattach cables in most cases, helps with custom length too. If you get jacks/plugs with screw terminals you don’t even need to solder the ends, just insert the correct wire and tighten a screw. You can strip the outer insulation and then the inner wire insulation with just a simple knife or scissors even, so really no more tools required than a screwdriver and a means to cut the cable, like a $1.99 pliers.

I don’t knock people who pay to have stuff done, or those who offer the services, bit most stuff with regards to custom wiring for audio, power etc, is really very easy to DIY and the actual parts cost pennies on the dollar, compared to buying premade custom cables and such.

I remember paying like $40 for a powercon extension cord, then I found I could make one for about 1/4th the cost by buying the ends and a mono price standard cord and just cutting it to length. Then I suddenly had all the exact lengths I needed, saved money, and as I put it together, knew how it worked so could trouble shoot and replace other cords too.

then if you can make a power cord, you can make an audio cord, and you can also make custom patch panels etc, and stuff people used to spend hundreds of dollars on you can knock together in afternoon.

I ended up email Temple Audio for a recommendation as well. They suggested this workaround and I'll post it here for awareness if anyone else is facing the same issue.

You can remove the end cap, take a pair of tin snips and extend an existing hole (shown in right part of image) feed your cable through, and replace the end cap. The end cap will completely hide the hole extension. Also, this way there is no cable cutting, and if you have to replace a cable, you just pop off the end cap and put a new one in. It should take all of 5 minutes if you carry a screwdriver with you.. (and if you're playing shows regularly, you should be).

It should also be noted that Temple Audio got back to me in under an hour. Which is pretty incredible.

View attachment 58755
Thanks for this tip. Rebuilding my Temple Audio board for gigging.

Back
Top Bottom