Recommend a used 5 string bass

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I’m starting my hunt for a used bass for recording purposes. Looking for good growly Metal tones (not extreme metal though)

Anyone have any recommendations on what brands and models to look for. Ideally under $1000

I'd look for an Ibanez soundgear with bartolini's

However, I think to really get a good 5 string bass sound you really need a great and powerful amp- I'm sure you're here so you're fractal so that's not exactly the case...

I'd recommend you getting a really good 4 string and maybe a second when 5 is needed... And to be honest- I had 2 squier 5 string jazz basses and they weren't far off from higher end jazz basses I had on recordings.

Fenders, Schecters, Ibanez SR's, Spector imports, warwick imports. P, J, PJ, Humbucker - they all get the job done just a little differently.

Edit: this may get more traction in the bass section.

I bought an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string - Silverburst. Beautiful Bass!
I tried playing it once, and immediately went back to my 4 string because my brain can't manage the 5 string.
I keep meaning to put it up for sale. If you're interested, PM me.

I'm also looking for a new bass and I maybe get a good deal on an Ibanez SR405EQM ... does anybody know this one?
I used to have an old Ibanez SR590NT, but did not like it at all. Thin sound, no growl. The neck was also shimmed with a piece of paper ...

I’m kinda leaning towards the ernieball Stingray 5.

The Stingray is a $2500 instrument and you’ll be hard pressed to find one in good shape for $1K if at all. If you find one under $1K that’s a big red flag something is wrong with it or it’s a fake. However if you can swing getting one do it. The single H gives a great clean tone and can get just about as dirty as you want it. Just listen to Brian Marshall of Alter Bridge. Everyone made good suggestions and I’ll add the ESP D-5 to the list. You can pick up a new one for under $1K and they’re very versatile. I used to gig with one and still have it. You can get a nice clean tone or really dirty out of them with the dual humbuckers and the balance knob. You can string it 100% through-body or on the bridge or both.

Last edited:
I have an Ibanez SR505 I use when I need a 5-string bass for recording which I picked up many years ago which you'll easily be able to find for well under $1000. I prefer the pickups in my Bongo 4HH which I picked up for not much over $1000 about 10 years ago but you won't find a Bongo 5HH for $1400 or so or I'd own one. The Bartolini's can be dialed in for some good metal tones and I don't agree that you need an amp but you will need to play around to get a tone you are happy with that sits well in the mix especially if your also using a 7-string guitar that is also filling up the low end. I usually use a blend of a clean tone, with a distorted tone then blend and eq each to you get what you are looking for. As with guitar, the cab ir's, or not for the clean tone, make a huge difference. There just isn't the same range of bass ir's to choose from.

I’m kinda leaning towards the ernieball Stingray 5.
I had a Sterling by Music Man Ray 35 for a while, fantastic bass, couldn't fault it in any way. Only sold it as i came to realise 5 string was just not my thing, not really a bass player..
Picked it up 2nd hand for $600 USD when I was Stateside around 2014..anyway, if you can find one, check it out!

Ya looks like entry for an SR5 is 1300 used on reverb

Getting an SR5 that's in good shape for $1300 is a GREAT deal. There's lots of questions you need to ask the seller but make sure they send you lots of pics especially of the headstock front and back and then use the national database to verify its real. If its a real SR5 in good shape then JUMP ON IT!!! I WOULD!!! But I'll also second the suggestion for the Ibanez SR series and Mikro's. They're great instruments with a long history and there are numerous touring musicians that use them on stage to this day. In fact...pretty much every suggestion that was made in this thread was a good one. When you're talking good quality basses for $1K or less you cant go wrong with any of them that were recommended. But DAMN...an SR5 for just over $1K that's in pristine shape is something you should NEVER pass up!!! ;)

"EDIT" - as a side note...like Carl said those Sterlings aren't "bad" basses. They're just a bit less quality than the Stringrays and require a bit of work to get them properly playable. But you wont get the same tones out of them compared to a proper Stingray.

Last edited:
I bought an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string - Silverburst. Beautiful Bass!
I tried playing it once, and immediately went back to my 4 string because my brain can't manage the 5 string.
I keep meaning to put it up for sale. If you're interested, PM me.

YES YOU CAN!!! What messed you up is that your mind told you that all basses are "supposed" to be 4 strings. 4 sting basses have slightly wider string spacing so when you tried to play a 5 string with narrower spacing it messed with your head. I was a guitar player for 30 years before I switched to bass. When I first started trying to get educated on bass playing I IMMEDIATELY hated the wide string spacing. A friend of mine who played both guitar and bass in different bands told me to get a 5 string due to the slightly tighter string spacing and I would adjust better. He was right!!! Get your string spacing setup how you like it as well as the action and you'll play a bass just like a guitar. I have an ESP D-5 and a Dingwall NG2 and I now have no issues not only switching between the two but can pick up my PRS Tremonti guitar and play them all equally. A 5 string bass is no different than a 4 string except for the .5-1mm tighter spacing and either a low B or high C string. Yes...your brain CAN manage a 5 string bass. Ya just gotta get yo brains tuned in with how the instrument needs to be set up and played. ;)

YES YOU CAN!!! What messed you up is that your mind told you that all basses are "supposed" to be 4 strings. 4 sting basses have slightly wider string spacing so when you tried to play a 5 string with narrower spacing it messed with your head. I was a guitar player for 30 years before I switched to bass. When I first started trying to get educated on bass playing I IMMEDIATELY hated the wide string spacing. A friend of mine who played both guitar and bass in different bands told me to get a 5 string due to the slightly tighter string spacing and I would adjust better. He was right!!! Get your string spacing setup how you like it as well as the action and you'll play a bass just like a guitar. I have an ESP D-5 and a Dingwall NG2 and I now have no issues not only switching between the two but can pick up my PRS Tremonti guitar and play them all equally. A 5 string bass is no different than a 4 string except for the .5-1mm tighter spacing and either a low B or high C string. Yes...your brain CAN manage a 5 string bass. Ya just gotta get yo brains tuned in with how the instrument needs to be set up and played. ;)
Man I don’t know if it’s covid but there are a bunch on reverb in that price range. For example
https://reverb.com/item/32874178-1999-ernie-ball-music-man-stingray-5-h-2010-black-5-string-usa

unfortunately I just blew all my funds on some new studio monitors. Picked up a good deal on some APS Klasiks 2020s. Supposed to be a step up from even the Adams A7x.

So a bass is next but probably a month out which will give me plenty of time to window shop

Check out used Warwicks. You can find German ones for as low as $700. I checked out the Sterling Stingray 5's as well but ended up with the Warwick, very happy with it too.

Here's the first one I found
https://reverb.com/item/34892252-wa...-buck-5-string-bass-nirvana-black-transparent

I have that same exact bass but in a 4 string. Dunno why parts of the listing say it's German because it's a RockBass that's made in China. I love it. Those knobs they put on it look ugly though.

Back
Top Bottom