Recommend a portable substitute

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I'm going to be doing a series of week end gigs overseas. Tiring things with my gig bag on my shoulder and an overnight bag in hand. I don't want to check my Axe FX in, Don't want to roll it in my clothes. So I have to rely on an alternate sound source.

I have Guitar Rig 5 on my computer, a few amp modelers on my iPhone. I've actually done a show using one of these. It was painful but better than what the venue provided.

So, what would you recommend? GR5? Some specific IOS modeler? Something else?

Cripes... I first read the thread as "Recommend a suitable prostitute"

laughing.gif

Anyhoo, assuming the above is no use, try Positive Grid's Bias and JamUp. Outstanding really... especially when you consider that it's happening on your telephone
thumbsup.gif

I'm sure there are fancier things out there, but I got a Sansamp TRI-AC box that I keep in my cord box as a backup. It sounds surprisingly good for a throwdown amp sim and it's about the size of a regular large stompbox. Programmable for three sounds (I do a Clean, Crunch, Lead sound), and cheap enough to earn it's keep without a lot of use. I honestly don't use it often but it might be worth a look for you.

The Boss ME 70 is what I've seen some people in my guitar ensemble use. It seems to do the job and is nice and compact. You can probably pick up one the ME family used for cheap. I believe they can run on batter power alone, which means you won't have to find an outlet.

i'm waiting for Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 to be released. It is supposed to be out soon. Really tiny and sounds good on the demos.

The Ampli**** from Matri* is still not ready for shipping, is it? That looks very promising....

I'm going to be doing a series of week end gigs overseas. Tiring things with my gig bag on my shoulder and an overnight bag in hand. I don't want to check my Axe FX in, Don't want to roll it in my clothes. So I have to rely on an alternate sound source. 

I have Guitar Rig 5 on my computer, a few amp modelers on my iPhone. I've actually done a show using one of these. It was painful but better than what the venue provided.

So, what would you recommend? GR5? Some specific IOS modeler? Something else?

Maybe this:Diago Little Smasher | Guitar Amps | Products

Plus a good mod/dly pedal (strymon, TC etc), whatever you need?
Sure, there are lots of other options. Guess it all depends on what you can´t be without for these gigs...

i'm waiting for Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 to be released. It is supposed to be out soon. Really tiny and sounds good on the demos.

Wow. Just checked this out on youtube. Very cool looking and definitely THE answer to what I'm looking for. Methinks I'm definitely getting one of these babies!

Also the zoom G3x has useable sounds, I thought the amp modeling was better than the Hd500 but the switching scheme sucks.

Also the zoom G3x has useable sounds, I thought the amp modeling was better than the Hd500 but the switching scheme sucks.
I had a zoom g3 and i agree completely. While it sounded good, it is not gig friendly, because of switching difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom