Recommend a pickup in emg40 size?

JCBitB

Inspired
Hey guys, I have a 5 string 35” scale Spector rebop that has an 18v hazlabs preamp. The original owner was going for the early AiC tones. In my hands it’s got a hifi and clean personality that borders on sterile and I’d really like to get it closer to Stingray, or Pbass territory. I don’t want to fool anyone in a blind test, I just love what they do in a mix.

Acoustically it’s pretty rich, but it’s midrange has a “moaning” quality. I’d like to get away from pickups that are trying to emphasize that, I’m pretty much going for the opposite of a jazz bass tone. Another concern is that the bridge pick up is very close to the bridge, a mile away from the music man sweet spot. I need something thicc to go there, or else it’s all grind and no grunt.

My son has the 20th anniversary BTB Ibanez with Nordstrand big singles and they shocked the hell out of me. Thought about buying them many times, but that bass is naturally really mellow in the mids and it’s glassy bright. I’m thinking I need something a little fatter, and possibly a gentle scoop.

My favorite bass tones are “Hell to Pay” by Converge, “Another Space Song” by Failure, pretty much everything on the early Glassjaw albums.

I've always like EMG active PJ's on my Spectors, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. I dig the aggressive AIC tone. But I've found I can mellow it quite a bit just by rolling off the treble. (I have a 9V Haz) Anyway, you might want to go over to Talkbass.com. There's a Spector group that is very knowledgeable as far as upgrades & shooting for different tones. I've heard the 18V Haz is a great pre, so definitely keep that. I'd look at pickups & string choice if going for a different type of tone.

I like the aggressive tone too, I think “Would?” is one of my favorite bass tones, but this thing is so stinkin clean and pure. I need some butter and grease!

I like the aggressive tone too, I think “Would?” is one of my favorite bass tones, but this thing is so stinkin clean and pure. I need some butter and grease!

I know with the 9V Haz & EMG PJ pups, I can nail AIC & Queensryche bass tones if I want. I know EMG makes all sorts of pickup configurations in the soapbar body. That, strings & pickup height can make a big difference. Also how you play. I have what I refer to as a Neanderthal style. I play very aggressive with stainless steel strings. (Rotosound Swing Bass 66) It give me the aggressive sound in spades.

The Rebop may come with the EMG DC or CS pickups (or even the HZ, not sure), which are a bit different from the PJ config. EMG has both a P, reverse P, and J config within the 40 housing if that's what you want. I personally am not much of a fan of the DC and CS sounds, but I love the Spector's PJ/Haz setup.

The PJ config is very interesting to me. as far as the fluence goes, I'm not sure if its compatible with the haz because they put the preamp inside the actual pick up

Back
Top Bottom