Recommend a line mixer for me

Pinkycramps

Experienced
So as I'm building my rig, I think I want to incorporate a small rack-mountable line mixer. 4 channels should do it. The purpose is for setting up my own personal monitor mix in my CLRs and/or IEM.

As it stands now, Out1 of AXE and In1 of CLRs will be my guitar, for obvious reasons as well as feedback ability. Out 2 of AXE will go to FOH. In 2 of the CLR will come from FOH as a monitor mix of vocals.

If I had a small line mixer, I could take the output of my Voiceworks+ (in my rack) and my AXE and combine them and put them both on input 1 of the CLR, Still using In2 for FOH monitor mix, but giving me full control of both my own guitar and voice monitoring from the stage.

I'd like 4 channels, line level, and I am hoping for a 1/2 rack size, so I can keep a 1/2 rack space open for a possible future IEM setup. Not sure if I can get 4 channels in a 1/2 rack, but just hoping. If not a 1U will work.

I haven't been able to find one like that so far. The Behringer Ultralink Pro could do the job, and the price is right, but the darn thing is almost 7 lbs. That's just too heavy for my taste. Anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately the Shure P4M is discontinued. You might be lucky and find a used one.
Along the same lines is the JTS PMM-4.

Personally I'm using the Ultralink unit you mentioned. Cheap, works. Only downside is it's 1U size.

Ah nuts. That PM4 is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I checked fleabay... but no dice. Looking like the Ultralink may be my only play here. That's a bummer... it's messing up my perfect plan.

So, your doing something similar to what I described then?

Why not go for the JTS if you're set on a 1/2 size unit?

Yes, something similar. L+R outputs of the Axe, monitor feed from the board and eventually (if I can find a decent mic pre with a split) mic into the Behringer and out to my IEM system.

edit: Correction, I'm using the MX882 not the Ultralink.

Since I've worked my GR55 into my rig for synth and COSM sounds, I've been using a Roland M 120 and have had great results.
It is a 1 space unit and packs a ton of options in that space. High quality build, very easy to find for a low cost on the used market.

The MX882 is the one I'm looking at too. Actually, on second look neither the Sure or the JTS would work for me. The inputs are on the front on both units, and I don't want to route my cables to the front of my rack. I looked up the M 120, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Behringer. The 882 is $99 at Sweetwater, no tax free shipping so that is the way I'll go I think.

Man, I'm really glad I posted this question here. This forum rocks. I think it's a huge part of the whole AXE experience being able to communicate with so many users.

Well I looked at both of those suggestions above. RANE has some great products, and I got excited for a second. The MLM82s would be perfect, but it's $400. That's a bit too crazy for me. The RX1602 is a little too busy on the front panel for me too. Too many channels and knobs for what I need. The MX882 will actually work perfectly, I just wish it wasn't so dang heavy. My rig is climbing in size and weight again...

But for the MX882 I just realized a new use for this thing too... with all the ins and I'll be able to add a third source, like audio out from a computer or IPAD to it, so I can play backing tracks in my CLR's along with my vocals and guitar, without having to do it through USB and the AXE. I like it! Sold!

It doesn't sound like you need mic preamps, so the MX882 will probably do fine. But if you think you'd ever need a similar solution with mic preamps, check out this one:
Rolls RM65B Audio Mixer RM65B B&H Photo Video

I was in a similar boat awhile back. I needed something with 6-8 channels, mic preamps and line inputs, basic EQ, and a separate monitor mix. This is the ONLY mixer I could find that fit the bill. My only gripes are due to the compact 1U size of the mixer: the transformer is external, the trim knobs are on the back, and the volume sliders would be better if they were knobs.

Really like this thing though, I have it in a 4-space rack with an in-ear transmitter and a lightweight power amp. Works great for band practice (drummer gets his own speaker while the singers get in ears) and doubles as a live PA for small acoustic gigs.

One thing regarding weight issues. (I don't think the MX882 is that heavy.) Why not do what I did and split the gear into 2 smaller racks and make a small snake for connecting them together?

One thing regarding weight issues. (I don't think the MX882 is that heavy.) Why not do what I did and split the gear into 2 smaller racks and make a small snake for connecting them together?

I have thought about doing that. It's a great idea.... But for my setup I don't think it's really practical or even necessary. I can do this in an 8 space rack and that is still manageable (compared to my old 16 space, which was a definite 2 man lift!):eek:

The kicker is if I add IEM. I'd need a spot for that, but I'm sure I could figure it out somehow... I could ditch my beloved rack tuner once I get the MFC101. I do love that thing though... I can see it from anywhere.

On the weight, the specs on Sweetwater.com list it as 6.7 lbs. That starts to add up in a hurry in an 8 space... but I love my setup so I'll deal with the weight. Here is my 8 space rack setup:
Furman PL-Plus Power
Korg DTR 1000 Tuner
X2 Wireless
AXE-FX II XL
T.C. Helicon Voiceworks+
Behringer MX882 Monitor Mixer
VFAM Custom Interface

I have a Rane line mixer in my recording rack at home. It used to be in my guitar rig back when I had a big rack with FX units and a GCX with pedals in a drawer and whatever else going on, but once I got the Axe I didn't have a need for it there. So I found another use for it in the recording rack to make things easier there and its lived in that spot since. So I dunno if you wanna factor in that a good line mixer is just a handy thing to have, even after you maybe retire it from this use some time in the future. So perhaps spending a bit more now for a quality unit isn't a bad idea. Something to maybe consider.

Just a friendly reminder: check on Guitar Center's website in the used gear after you decide on a mixer. They have A TON of gear on there.

It doesn't sound like you need mic preamps, so the MX882 will probably do fine. But if you think you'd ever need a similar solution with mic preamps, check out this one:
Rolls RM65B Audio Mixer RM65B B&H Photo Video

I was in a similar boat awhile back. I needed something with 6-8 channels, mic preamps and line inputs, basic EQ, and a separate monitor mix. This is the ONLY mixer I could find that fit the bill. My only gripes are due to the compact 1U size of the mixer: the transformer is external, the trim knobs are on the back, and the volume sliders would be better if they were knobs.

Really like this thing though, I have it in a 4-space rack with an in-ear transmitter and a lightweight power amp. Works great for band practice (drummer gets his own speaker while the singers get in ears) and doubles as a live PA for small acoustic gigs.

To OP: I have the Rolls RM65B. Awesome mixer. I just got the PreSonus StudioLive so I'm not using it anymore. If you're interested, PM me and we can figure something out.

-PJ

Last edited:
I added a MOTU UltraLite mk3 to my rig. It allows me to mix two mics plus multiple sets of stereo line inputs to FOH plus multiple monitor mixes. It is very small and light and it sounds great and it fit into my existing rack space.

It has really powerful EQ for each channel, plus compression and a basic reverb bus. You can also plug it into your computer and use it as an audio interface for playback and recording. You do have to get used to flipping through the menus. Did I mention it sounds great? It is a really powerful piece of gear. I waited for a used one to pop up on eBay and picked it up for less than $400.

I've used the ultralinks a bunch. They work well, BUT... the pots tend to get scratchy and have to be cleaned with deoxit a lot. I've heard good things about the Ranes.

I have used a motu 828mk II as well. That worked okay but it overheated a couple of times for me. Once a I rearranged my rack, that stopped. As has been stated, it is not as quick in a pinch for making changes.

Oh Geezus... I HAVE a Motu Ultralight mk3! I used it as my mobile recording interface for Sonar, but I haven't used it for a long time now and it's just collecting dust!

I never even thought about it for this. But in looking at it... it has enough ins and outs for me, and it's a 1/2 space and super light which is one of the things I wanted to begin with. How funny that it never occurred to me.

But... your right Java... the front panel leaves a lot to be desired for being intuitive or quick. In fact, I just plugged it in and I'm struggling to even figure out how to adjust a mix. This is going to take a little more thought... I'll have to read the manual, but I might give this a try for a bit.

Could also be neat to have this in the rack to record rehearsals, writing sessions, or whatever. This is a whole new idea... thanks Sam! This never crossed my mind!

- Thanks Pjrake. I'll keep your Rolls in mind if the Motu doesn't cut it for me.
- Java, I've read a number of reviews on the Behringer that said the same thing... that it's noisy and the pots get scratchy. That gives me some pause. Don't really want to route $5000+ of high quality sound rig through a $99 weak link in the chain...

Well, I tried out my Motu for a bit, but just hated it. I didn't like having to go through menu's and pages just to set a mix. I really wanted to be able to just reach down and dial a knob, so I just ordered the Behringer for $99. It was a low/no risk deal. If it's noisy, I'll send it back and get the Rane. As much as I'm not really a fan of their quality, the layout of controls and ins/outs on this thing seems pretty spot on for what I want. ($99 appealed to me.. since i'm scraping up the coin for my second CLR.)

Just wanted to follow up, and say thanks for all the great input. It was helpful.

Back
Top Bottom