Recommend A Les Paul

Around the early 2000's, I had been going back and forth between my LP and PRS, when our bass player shows up at rehearsal with a brand new PRS SC 10 top for me to use, courtesy of his buddy who headed up artist relations at PRS. It was an amazing guitar! I only got to use it for a month, but I remember being in awe at how easily it played, how beautiful it was (burgundy tiger eye), and its awesome tones. I wanted to buy one real bad, but felt the $3200 street price at the time a bit out of reach. To put it in perspective, a new Silverburst LP from their custom shop was $2500. Looking back, I should've went for it, as it was the best of both my other guitars, other than not having a trem. It was a little hard getting used to the volume/tone knobs' locations, as they were different than a LP. I believe this was prior to the lawsuit.

Yeah. Folks smarter than I say it doesn't matter, but I would prefer saddles I can adjust.

I was just danger looking and browsing listings. :)

Like this one with the single piece bridge but adjustable saddles.

d8hojwuozetthgwqeiyn.jpg

It was the guitar overall. I can't recall what the neck felt like, to be honest.

Like I mentioned above, to someone else, I have a couple of PRSs, so I am familiar with their
neck profiles, and would look for a Wide/Fat if I went that route.
Yeah but the 594 is the fattest neck they make lol. Im just confused that the largest overall guitar they build felt small to you but you’d be comfortable with a smaller one.

That said Im confident you will find your singlecut of choice.

If you want a Les Paul it has to be one. None of the other single cut quality alternatives sound exactly the same.
If you have the money get a Historic reissue R4 ~ R0 whatever speck you like. Next best is a new model Standard 60's 50's , these are great with a new set of pickups (Throbak 101) . Next would be a mid 90s Studio model before they started hollowing them out. Super cheap; a tribute model is a great buy.

No LP sounds exactly the same. That's why you have to try hundreds to find that special one ;-)
I agree but no single cut from other companies sounds quite right either. I have a PRS as my mahogany set neck and as much as I like it it's different.

I would only suggest trying some customs if you can. For me, the ergonomics between the standards and customs I've played make a huge difference for me. I had a beautiful heritage cherry standard that sounded great, but I couldn't gel with it. I eventually sold it to help defer the cost of a custom. I knew the custom was a keeper within 30 seconds of playing it.

1651145583230.jpeg

Struggle with a Les paul that isnt an actual Les paul tbh...have tried many other LP 'types' still think the latest custom shop 59's/60's are really good, but I do prefer no more weight than early 8lb's , make's it just feel easier to play sitting, and more resonant I think the lighter ones.
My fave Non les paul, Les paul's if u like is the Eggle Macon, beautiful workmanship, lovely feeling neck, not keen on the small headstock, but thats a detail...lovely sunbear pups..
Huber makes a great guitar, Haussel pups,knaggs again very nice, Knaggs blue one with a pair of Bare knuckle mules, Cherry Steckel 'Candy' with his sig SD pups and the Suhr aura..its ok but bit more PRS then Gibson custom shop
Macon gets my vote...

003 (2).JPGchillin.jpgchillo.jpgKnaggs Bluey.jpgloft.jpgsingle.jpg

Struggle with a Les paul that isnt an actual Les paul tbh...have tried many other LP 'types'
I'm with you here. I've tried a bunch of others (Tom Anderson bulldog was a nice one), but when I went back to one of my actually LPs, it just felt right.

I have too many LPs as it is, but if I was looking right now: 70s/80s are my preference.
I'd look for a good used (older) one. Nothing feels better than a vintage LP.

I always wanted a Silverburst LP, but I don't want to live with the burden of
everyone assuming I want to be an Adam Jones clone. ;)
I had a Silverburst Custom, but sold it because it just wasn't 'great'.
Never though of it being an Adam Jones clone guitar though.
I love Tool and Adam's playing - but let's be honest, only another guitar player is going to possibly make the connection of a Silverburst to Adam.

Struggle with a Les paul that isnt an actual Les paul tbh...have tried many other LP 'types' still think the latest custom shop 59's/60's are really good, but I do prefer no more weight than early 8lb's , make's it just feel easier to play sitting, and more resonant I think the lighter ones.
My fave Non les paul, Les paul's if u like is the Eggle Macon, beautiful workmanship, lovely feeling neck, not keen on the small headstock, but thats a detail...lovely sunbear pups..
Huber makes a great guitar, Haussel pups,knaggs again very nice, Knaggs blue one with a pair of Bare knuckle mules, Cherry Steckel 'Candy' with his sig SD pups and the Suhr aura..its ok but bit more PRS then Gibson custom shop
Macon gets my vote...

View attachment 100913View attachment 100914View attachment 100915View attachment 100916View attachment 100917View attachment 100918

Hats off to you if you own all of those. That's some beautiful stuff right there.

Back
Top Bottom