Recommend A Les Paul

I've got the Duncan JB / Jazz set in my Edwards Les Paul clone and like them a lot. Slightly different flavor yet still in the overall classic Les Paul vein of tones.

Check out this Vintage 1978 25/50 Anniversary Antique Sunburst that just showed up at my local shop. What is goin on with the bridge? are those fine tuners?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 1.43.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 1.43.43 PM.png
    876.2 KB · Views: 15
I used to play les pauls (standards,customs) for 17 years exclusively, until I tried this...then I realized that I played wrong guitars all these years...shh...

Attachments

• Tremonti 1.jpg
    Tremonti 1.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 25
Hey guys, this thread has taken a tragic turn with the Floyd Roses, Kahlers, and EMGs in a Les Paul talk.

Not sure I can recover from this now. ;)
One suggestion I can give is the LP Studio, 2012-13 era. My brother gave me one for my retirement that he rebuilt with Classic 57 pickups. It’s amazingly light for a Les Paul at a hair under 7 pounds (measured just now on my kitchen scale at 6 lb 15 7/8 oz), so it is obviously chambered. It’s a great player. I can’t explain why, but it sounds better with the strings wrapped over the stop tail. This is the only guitar I keep set up that way. The neck feels wide but not as 2x4 thick as the true 50s neck felt.

This 2013 year model is fairly easy to find, and at a good price. You will be shocked at the weight if you’re used to picking up 10 pound LPCs. Like many here, I‘ve gone over to 594s to cover this ground, but this Studio kicks butt and is never hard on the body to wear through a long set. Good luck in your search!

One suggestion I can give is the LP Studio, 2012-13 era. My brother gave me one for my retirement that he rebuilt with Classic 57 pickups. It’s amazingly light for a Les Paul at a hair under 7 pounds (measured just now on my kitchen scale at 6 lb 15 7/8 oz), so it is obviously chambered. It’s a great player. I can’t explain why, but it sounds better with the strings wrapped over the stop tail. This is the only guitar I keep set up that way. The neck feels wide but not as 2x4 thick as the true 50s neck felt.

This 2013 year model is fairly easy to find, and at a good price. You will be shocked at the weight if you’re used to picking up 10 pound LPCs. Like many here, I‘ve gone over to 594s to cover this ground, but this Studio kicks butt and is never hard on the body to wear through a long set. Good luck in your search!

Thanks, Rick! I had a Vintage Modified Mahogany LP that was light like that. So easy and comfortable to play.

You got ripped off man. They only gave you one pickup cover. Ask for a refund!! :)

I kid. That is one of my fave PRS finishes.
haha, I actually love the idea 😂
yes, faded whale blue is by far the best PRS color, IMO.
it looks some much more 3D in person though, this pic is very deceiving 😁

haha, I actually love the idea 😂
yes, faded whale blue is by far the best PRS color, IMO.
it looks some much more 3D in person though, this pic is very deceiving 😁
Trick is finding whale blue with a great top. I have a custom built guitar in whale blue as I wanted some PRSness to it (25” too).

As an owner of an S2 SC and SC594 plus 4 LP’s, they are close but not similar. If you want singlecut with contours also worth looking at Collings.

I did a thing! Wide/Fat neck profile. Kind of wish it had the dual Volume and Tone controls, but
I will get used to it. 1 lb. lighter than my current LP, and about half the price of a Les Paul
Customs I was looking at.

Fretboard is amazingly dark and rich. Almost has an Ebony like look to it. I'll probably swap the
pickups for something with Chrome covers, and change out the surrounds. Not a Zebra kind of
guy.

1653073866646.png

Last edited:
Not a fan of open coils on this guitar. I hate to be the "thinking of modding it before I
have it in my hands" guy, but I couldn't pass it up, and am thinking of modding it before I
have it in my hands. :)

I'm guessing that this one is a SC250 since I don't think I've seen an SC245 with a vibrato bridge. Congrats. I'm still really enjoying my SC245.

Yup. 25" scale length. It ticked a lot of boxes for me, and missed a few others.

I realized I wanted something that was not an exact Les Paul, and the Customs
I was interested in were just too costly for me even on the used market.

I'll definitely report back on my thoughts and feelings about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom