Recommend A Les Paul

I'm a bit of a Les Paul fan, owning 5 of the things with potentially another next week (when my Mrs goes on holiday with the girls), but my suggestion would not be Gibson, it would be a Fernandes Super Grade or an early Tokai reborn LP. I was recently at a local guitar show where only two guitars took my eye (excluding the LP Junior I bought) (because it was cheap), one being a beautiful vintage 53 LP that had a burst conversion (mega bucks) and secondly a late 70's Tokai Reborn LP. I regretted not trying to buy the Tokai when I got myself back home. The website Zenmarket is cool to look into should you fancy checking out some of the Japanese LP's. Fernandes, Tokai, Greco, Edwards, Navigator...the list goes on for cool guitars. I dont have a picture of the Tokai from the show, but here is one of the conversion LP thing. It was lovely.275851976_10159947990272530_3054745464158804007_n.jpg

Yeah but the 594 is the fattest neck they make lol. Im just confused that the largest overall guitar they build felt small to you but you’d be comfortable with a smaller one.

That said Im confident you will find your singlecut of choice.

It's the shortest scale length, though, so to me it makes perfect sense. :)

24.594 sale length neck is shorter than a Les Paul scale length, right?
Immediately felt too tiny and scrunched up to me.

I don't want a freaking Jaguar man!!! ;)

Last edited:
I had a Silverburst Custom, but sold it because it just wasn't 'great'.
Never though of it being an Adam Jones clone guitar though.
I love Tool and Adam's playing - but let's be honest, only another guitar player is going to possibly make the connection of a Silverburst to Adam.

I agree. The only person it really matters to is me, and if it is enough to get into
my head then it is something I am going to avoid. :)

Besides, as I have grown older I appreciate the view of the wood through a more
translucent finish than what a Silverburst can offer.

Thanks! :)

It's the shortest scale length, though, so to me it makes perfect sense. :)

24.594 sale length neck is shorter than a Les Paul scale length, right?
Immediately felt too tiny and scrunched up to me.

I don't want a freaking Jaguar man!!! ;)
I havent noticed it haha

I agree. The only person it really matters to is me, and if it is enough to get into
my head then it is something I am going to avoid. :)

Besides, as I have grown older I appreciate the view of the wood through a more
translucent finish than what a Silverburst can offer.

Thanks! :)
Then you'd love my White LP Custom with a translucent white top (with maple cap). It's a Custom Shop and I've only ever seen one other.

Those LE Gibson's are limited run - if not having a whammy bar and piezo like the Lifeson is not an issue this would be the way to go

Probably gonna be worth more the day after you bought one the way things are going

I just did a quick search and found this. I have no affiliation or anything with this, but I do think it fits.
https://reverb.com/item/53359088-gi...-ri-2007-cherry-sunburst-2007-cherry-sunburst

Also, I agree with Dixiethedog's suggesting of going with a Japanese LP style guitar. Whether it is an Edwards, higher end Tokai, Navigator, higher end Greco, etc. They really are fantastic copies and because of the mahogany that is used in these guitars, they are lighter in weight.

To OP,
I have a Traditional as well and love the neck on it. I also have a PRS S2 McCarty 594. The neck profile is very close but I get what you mean by feeling tiny with that scale length. Also, my Traditional smokes the 594 in tone. You can get better upper fret access with the 594 and the weight is much less but.........it's not a Gibson :) The PRS also has the bridge pickup in the same position as an Epiphone.
This might be far out there, but check out one of the Yamaha Revstars. I just picked up one of their cheap Element ones and I like it much better than my PRS. It's light weight and sounds different but good. The neck profile is more like an Epiphone though.

I know there are a bunch of Les Paul Lovers here, and a few aficionados. :)

I am in the market for a new/different Les Paul. My first really nice guitar was
a Les Paul purchased new in 1985. I have burnt through a dozen or more in
my adult life. I still have a Traditional, and it is a cool guitar, but it is more
vintage in vibe and feel. I want a slightly more modern take on a Les Paul
(no EMGs! you bastards! I ain't lost my mind!), but with the same fat, 50s style
neck, 50s wiring, but a little less spongy and with a modern edge.

Weight-relieved would be f'ing fantastic, too. Probably required at my age. :)

I am also open to non-Gibson singlecuts but nothing too outside the box. Maybe a
Tremonti or SC245 from PRS.

Anywho, what you got? I appreciate any and all help and recommendations. Thanks!
If you're looking for high quality, you should check out the ESP Edwards Les Paul copies. Built better than Gibson custom shop, play better, and sound just as good. And they are a fraction of the Gibson price.....

Struggle with a Les paul that isnt an actual Les paul tbh...have tried many other LP 'types' still think the latest custom shop 59's/60's are really good, but I do prefer no more weight than early 8lb's , make's it just feel easier to play sitting, and more resonant I think the lighter ones.
My fave Non les paul, Les paul's if u like is the Eggle Macon, beautiful workmanship, lovely feeling neck, not keen on the small headstock, but thats a detail...lovely sunbear pups..
Huber makes a great guitar, Haussel pups,knaggs again very nice, Knaggs blue one with a pair of Bare knuckle mules, Cherry Steckel 'Candy' with his sig SD pups and the Suhr aura..its ok but bit more PRS then Gibson custom shop
Macon gets my vote...

View attachment 100913View attachment 100914View attachment 100915View attachment 100916View attachment 100917View attachment 100918
Wow! That's an amazing collection!

Back
Top Bottom