recomended small combo amp for AX8?

rdpar

Inspired
what's a good solid state combo amp for the ax 8. no more than 30lbs. :):) prefer 1x12 speaker.

I’d get a CLR Neo or Xitone, will hit the weight limit your after and sound much better, better dispersion of sound, less coloration, etc

Playing through a 1x12 combo amp is always going to impart a bit of combo amp tone for better or worse

I used a Roland JC40 for awhile. Pretty good, and nice stereo. But I eventually sold it opted for mono and bought a Xitone 12” active wedge which I am quite happy with.

Only suggesting it because I already had it but the Fender Mustang II. Messed around with the Studio Preamp model with the AX8 last week and it actually sounds really good. I was quite surprised and pleased since that means I no longer need to buy anything to play the AX8 in the living room. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at a small gig either.

At home I run my AX8 into the FX return of a Fender Mustang 3 v2. The only tweak I do to whatever patch I’m running is to set the low res frequency to match the mustang (around 90khz), and perhaps bring the overall level of the patch down a hair. I also disable cabinet modeling in the AX8. Sounds decent for anything except really high gain stuff. One thing that looks interesting is the new L6 Powercab. From what I’ve heard in demos so far though, I don’t think they are worth the price compared to my mustang setup.

I've been REALLY impressed with the Line 6 Powercab.
Online demos cannot do these or any cab justice really.
They need to be tried out in person to determine whether you like the sound or not in my opinion.

I feel they are worth the price although they are certainly not cheap if that makes sense.

all great ideas ,,,,but I already have an Atomic clr cab not wedge. hard to beat that sound , however it's beating up my 5'5" 135lb 70 yr old frame. lol Yeah I know I don't look 70 in the pic. I was 67 at the time . My clr is 47.5 pounds,,ug. so , and I am not looking to spend another 1000 on a cab. so the tech 21 looks interesting and actually a little cheap fender solid state amp like the mustang may work. even if I have to replace a speaker. This is only for semi acoustic gigs where I play electric and my partner plays acoustic , and small club band gigs. geez I think that's all that's left for geezers:) Thanks for your comments.

hmmm I like that power cab also. 15lbs lighter than what I have. I have a friend who replaced me in the last band I was in , who just bought one. I'll see how he likes it.

What about a Yamaha DXR 10 or similar? This are light and full range like your CLR. Rather than getting a frequency-limited guitar amp. Check out powered speakers at your local music store with your AX8.

I've been REALLY impressed with the Line 6 Powercab.
Online demos cannot do these or any cab justice really.
They need to be tried out in person to determine whether you like the sound or not in my opinion.

I feel they are worth the price although they are certainly not cheap if that makes sense.

Sounds interesting! Care to write a little review on it? I’d be interested to hear how you use it with the AX8.

So here is an outside the box solution that I use.

For recording at home tracking and mixing and sometimes home use at very low volume, a pair of Adam A7x monitors.

For pretty low/medium volume at home, I run into the fx return of a marshall 5210 ss combo amp. I experimented with leaving the power amp sim and cabinet IRs ON, and at pretty low volume, but loud enough to get feedback......it sounded better leaving these on. The amp is the ss version of the jcm800 from the 80s, and frankly it doesn't sound great on its own until cranked, so I found the cabinet sim and power amp sim really made up that gap. It sounds and feels glorious. Is the accuracy spot on....of course not, does the a
Combo amp and speaker (I upgraded the speaker to an eminence private jack)....bit the tone and thump in your chest at prett manageable volumes in a bedroom is fantastic.

I've compared a/b to the adam monitors and while the sound is different, it is pretty close and just different, but not bad or muddy with the amp.

I will also say with the monitors, the combo amp etc....little things really matter, like where you sit in the room, and the right volume for the application is key. Also, no matter what you do, subtle changes in gain, volume, and tone all make a difference, and also using the guitar controls, the volume knob and the tone knob. All keys to getting a great tone.

At high volume as a monitor for a gig, power amp and cab sims off. It sounds great. Once you crank the volume, the power amp sim and IR is just to much but the amp sounds great with those off...taking a feed before the cab IR...but run outputs to FOH. In that scenario, I leave power amp modeling on....bit of a compromise, and I have also found in needed, can run a graphic eq just to the combo amp and make slight adjustments.

I got the combo amp, near mint for $25 at a garage sale, and I had the speaker lying around.

Plus that amp can serve as a backup.....sounds great on its own....but Not as good as Ax8

hmmm I like that power cab also. 15lbs lighter than what I have. I have a friend who replaced me in the last band I was in , who just bought one. I'll see how he likes it.

LMAO SO I was talkin to my wife about the guy in the quote above , and told her that he would probably return his brand new (helix) and yup HE did:):) So he's back to his 5150. Returned the power cab also and told me it sounded like S**t. I am sure he didn't quite know how to deal with the digital world at all so I can't use his review. I am curious about the volume of the tech 21 . It has 60watts , but is it a true 60 watts , because my clr says it's 500 watts , but I can't believe that. Seems more like 50 or possibly 100.

The Tech 21 is plenty loud. It's usually my backup rig (I have a Matrix 800 > Atomic Reactor) but last weekend I brought it because it was a long walk and I didn't want to have to carry everything ;-) (We were on the upper deck at the ski resort). The T21 was plenty loud for a smaller gig like this. I ran an XLR out to FOH but wouldn't have needed to - the soundman asked me to turn down the amp because it was overwhelming the FOH sound.

Of course, you don't get the tone of a FRFR but it's not bad. I was playing from bluesy rock to funk to heavier alternative and didn't need to change anything from my regular AX8 settings.

Thanks jefferski. I might try one of those. I don't mind a bit of tweaking to make it sound better. It's the weight that I'm concerned with.

Thanks jefferski. I might try one of those. I don't mind a bit of tweaking to make it sound better. It's the weight that I'm concerned with.
It's pretty light. The website says 33 lbs but it feels more like 25. Seems much lighter than my Reactor which says it's 34 lbs.

The XiTone M.Britt is worth every single one of the 16 lbs over your 30 lbs weight limit IMHO. I am LOVING this thing. Bonus: looks like a guitar cab so I no longer have to deal with the "tube" snobs on bar gigs thinking I play great but could use a better rig.

Back
Top Bottom