Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

Also, Roland/Boss has such a huge product line, the early announcement of a new product which will replace an older one will not hurt them financially in the same way as a much smaller company like FAS, which only had 2 processors, a footpedal, and a few amp/cabinets in their entire product line. Can you imagine the hit that they'd have taken if they announced the new Axe Fx II 6 months ago, with the result being virtually NO sales of Ultras over that period of time. The company has to survive first, otherwise everybody who enjoys FAS product loses in the end, not to mention the company itself. FAS is in a unique position, and in this case, damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of my 9 month old Ultra taking a value hit, but at the same time, I'm not planning on selling it either. It is still an excellent piece of equipment, period, and worth every penny I spent and then some. JMHO.

Rock: New product released w/o warning. Recent customers are upset they bought "outdated" technology.

Hard Place: Announce new product ahead of time. Lose sales for a few months right when you need the cash to get new product moving. Customers lose interest, or gets upset, when release is pushed back (Tyler Variax, anyone?). Customers who bought within 6 month of the announcement will STILL complain about owning "outdated" technology.

Rock: New product released w/o warning. Recent customers are upset they bought "outdated" technology.

Hard Place: Announce new product ahead of time. Lose sales for a few months right when you need the cash to get new product moving. Customers lose interest, or gets upset, when release is pushed back (Tyler Variax, anyone?). Customers who bought within 6 month of the announcement will STILL complain about owning "outdated" technology.

exactly. Unless the FAS staff are all independently wealthy and willing to take the financial hit (and I'm sure they are NOT), then there would be winners and losers, no question. Ehhh....how bad is life, really, when you own an Axe-Fx? Not too shabby IMO.

I've had my Ultra only five months but in that short time I have found great help, support and encouragement from within this online community and I have learned SO much. I have never met any of you in person but I enjoy the banter, camaraderie and the enthusiasm for playing the guitar very much. I'm actually disappointed to see Fractal Audio alienate itself from so many of its faithful supporters in the way that it has during the last 24 hours, really I am, regardless of who is deemed right or wrong. Being told that products are 'history', accusations of 'insider trading', knowing that firmware upgrades will be no more....these issues have really upset a number of hitherto unswervingly loyal customers and I feel for them. Certainly it all prompts debate - and that's fine - but right now I feel like a virtual bomb has gone off in a room full of friends and I have an uneasy feeling about the integrity of FA and its relationship with the customer base.

On the basis that the Axe-Fx II offers many previously unavailable features requested by customers, Cliff has listened to the wishes of those who bought the Standard and the Ultra and their feedback over the years. I trust that he is listening now and if there are lessons to be learned from the way in which the Axe-FX II was 'launched' he will act upon them whenever the next major product is released.

Best wishes to all.

I've had my Ultra only five months but in that short time I have found great help, support and encouragement from within this online community and I have learned SO much. I have never met any of you in person but I enjoy the banter, camaraderie and the enthusiasm for playing the guitar very much. I'm actually disappointed to see Fractal Audio alienate itself from so many of its faithful supporters in the way that it has during the last 24 hours, really I am, regardless of who is deemed right or wrong. Being told that products are 'history', accusations of 'insider trading', knowing that firmware upgrades will be no more....these issues have really upset a number of hitherto unswervingly loyal customers and I feel for them. Certainly it all prompts debate - and that's fine - but right now I feel like a virtual bomb has gone off in a room full of friends and I have an uneasy feeling about the integrity of FA and its relationship with the customer base.

On the basis that the Axe-Fx II offers many previously unavailable features requested by customers, Cliff has listened to the wishes of those who bought the Standard and the Ultra and their feedback over the years. I trust that he is listening now and if there are lessons to be learned from the way in which the Axe-FX II was 'launched' he will act upon them whenever the next major product is released.

Best wishes to all.

+1 this is how I feel man. Family fights ain't fun.

What a bunch of whiney little beeotches you all are. You want timeless? Get a tube amp. You want state of the art modeling? Be prepared to purchase new hardware every 5 years or so.

If you feel you have a legitimate grievance, get in touch with Cliff and see if something can be worked out. If you are shocked by the change in posture from "nothing in the pipeline" to "HERE IT IS" then enjoy the company of people in the same situation and do a little (constructive) group whining. If you don't feel that way, then don't waste your time trying to argue logic against emotion.

Now get out there and figure out how to scrape up some cash...

There has been very little logic spoken from people trying to sound off and insult those with genuine queries about their recent purchase, that's me done.

I can understand Sixstring's frustration...I got my ultra recently and would have never have bought it if I knew anything about a new axe fx II, but one thing is for certian.... a LOT of people will feel screwed with this announcement.

But that is just technology.

But if the wait times for an ultra were a year for some people trying to buy one, I wonder how long the wait times will be for this new unit???

No frustrations here man... Just trying to point out to many here that the Axe ll, (if history repeats it's self with availability) average guys are going to be waiting for a long wile to get one. As to price drops everyone that are dumping there Standard and Ultras are causing that. I suspect a fast run on these units with good deals to be had from those who did a knee jerk reaction and had to sell there current unit in order to have the latest and greatest and then find out they might have to wait a wile. For some they will be fine with it wile others will be pissed. I still think that resale will be good but not like it has been for the last few months. I predict anywhere from $3-500 less then what they had retailed for new.

Well, this has all been very interesting. I believe that a great many of us who bought within the last several months (7 for me I believe) felt that they had purchased their last piece of gear for quite some time - a couple of years at least. Additionally, it did appear to be a "gift that keeps on giving" with new firmware being released regularly - firmware that improved and enhanced functionality and capability. The thought that our "best of the best" piece of gear would soon be 2nd best never entered our minds. It was easy to wave off current or announced offerings from the competition. All fine - and true for a bit. But to my knowledge, none of these things were ever promised by Cliff and FA. I believe it's fair to say that most of these expectations were set by us.

Additionally, I would propose that owning an Ultra and understanding it's capabilities gave many of us a feeling of being part of the best. Again, if true, a feeling we created pretty much on our own.

These frustrations and difficulties are about us in the end, not Cliff. I've seen nothing that makes me think that Cliff and FA are out for a quick buck, let alone taking advantage in any way. The Axe Fx II could actually be a risk for Cliff. Who knows his true sunk costs in this thing? With demand already exceeding supply, why such a radical redesign? Why not just continue selling the Ultra until he can sell to TC Electronic or some other larger company (which may still happen for all I know)? Why not go for the cheaper unit first that could be sold through big box retailers?

I don't know Cliff at all, but given what I've seen over these last several months, I'd guess that the answer to all these "why's" is that Cliff is a man on a mission to build and keep building the best guitar modeling device possible. I would put him in the same category as custom luthiers and boutique amp/pedal builders/designers. He's just doing it with digital technologies. It's pretty bold.

So while I too have been wrestling with my own expectations for the last 24 hrs, I've settled on the realization that Cliff and FA are doing the best they can with the resources at their disposal to continue on a mission they set out upon several years back. And what he has accomplished is remarkable. That is worthy of admiration and appreciation, not derision.

It is painful to have your expectations adjusted radically and without warning, but this does happen in life. Would I appreciate some kind of upgrade program - absolutely. Will the absence of such a program make me question FA's integrity? No. They are clearly not a big company and must make different decisions than Digidesign or Apple or any number of large cap digital hardware companies. Will it prevent me from buying the Axe-Fx II. No. I will be buying one as soon as I can order one.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, this has all been very interesting. I believe that a great many of us who bought within the last several months (7 for me I believe) felt that they had purchased their last piece of gear for quite some time - a couple of years at least. Additionally, it did appear to be a "gift that keeps on giving" with new firmware being released regularly - firmware that improved and enhanced functionality and capability. The thought that our "best of the best" piece of gear would soon be 2nd best never entered our minds. It was easy to wave off current or announced offerings from the competition. All fine - and true for a bit. But to my knowledge, none of these things were ever promised by Cliff and FA. I believe it's fair to say that most of these expectations were set by us.

Additionally, I would propose that owning an Ultra and understanding it's capabilities gave many of us a feeling of being part of the best. Again, if true, a feeling we created pretty much on our own.

These frustrations and difficulties are about us in the end, not Cliff. I've seen nothing that makes me think that Cliff and FA are out for a quick buck, let alone taking advantage in any way. The Axe Fx II could actually be a risk for Cliff. Who knows his true sunk costs in this thing? With demand already exceeding supply, why such a radical redesign? Why not just continue selling the Ultra until he can sell to TC Electronic or some other larger company (which may still happen for all I know)? Why not go for the cheaper unit first that could be sold through big box retailers?

I don't know Cliff at all, but given what I've seen over these last several months, I'd guess that the answer to all these "why's" is that Cliff is a man on a mission to build and keep building the best guitar modeling device possible. I would put him in the same category as custom luthiers and boutique amp/pedal builders/designers. He's just doing it with digital technologies. It's pretty bold.

So while I too have been wrestling with my own expectations for the last 24 hrs, I've settled on the realization that Cliff and FA are doing the best they can with the resources at their disposal to continue on a mission they set out upon several years back. And what he has accomplished is remarkable. That is worthy of admiration and appreciation, not derision.

It is painful to have your expectations adjusted radically and without warning, but this does happen in life. Would I appreciate some kind of upgrade program - absolutely. Will the absence of such a program make me question FA's integrity? No. They are clearly not a big company and must make different decisions than Digidesign or Apple or any number of large cap digital hardware companies. Will it prevent me from buying the Axe-Fx II. No. I will be buying one as soon as I can order one.

Mike

Who knew fractal's worst enemies would be their loyal customers? Consumerism is an evil in all of us.

Updated and plug into my ultra , I'm still in love. Hey I hear there's a axe fx 3 coming

listen, your not qualified to comment on whining when you haven't parted with two grand and are wondering weather or not the product you have bought will keep receiving updates? it is in fact not whining but a straight forward question! i don't understand why you've piped up in the first place?? and i wouldn't want a fair trade in or ask for it because its obviously not going to happen. but there are points to which many people have displayed unease because they are worried about the future of the ultra. it is only fair that these people are able to ask questions without interference from folks who aren't even in that situation, indeed who don't even own an axe ultra???? enough of my time wasted speaking to you.

I hope you have read some of the most recent posts, as they nicely describe some of the elements and difficulties that must have been present for Cliff's decision on how to announce the new product. Speaking of qualifications, your consistent and pervasive spelling and grammatical errors leave me wondering if you are even qualified to write, let alone ponder the business philosophies of a successful company and world-class intellect at sonic engineering and customer service.

I hope you have read some of the most recent posts, as they nicely describe some of the elements and difficulties that must have been present for Cliff's decision on how to announce the new product. Speaking of qualifications, your consistent and pervasive spelling and grammatical errors leave me wondering if you are even qualified to write, let alone ponder the business philosophies of a successful company and world-class intellect at sonic engineering and customer service.

even successful companies make bad decisions...

Best wishes to all.

+1 !!!

I'm very pleased with my Ultra. I'm just very dissapointed that upon emailing Fractal sales on Feb 25 2011 and asking if I should wait due to any hardware updates/upgrades I was just told they don't give out that information about product development but at the time nothing was planned. Therefore, a few weeks later I made the purchase. If I didn't ask before I bought I wouldn't have an issue. But I did and now I feel there was some dishonesty.

Back
Top Bottom