Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

You either have a good point or you simply don't understand the difference between "need" and "want."

well i do understand... and after contacting both companies before i bought my product, and being assured that there was nothing in the pipe line... half the reason i bought it was because of the continuation/development of what is inside the box.. like i have already said... nobody mentioned it was near capacity at all! i hope the updates continue... not because i am a free loader (because im happy to pay for them) but because it was part of the sales pitch to sell the unit to me! and many people who bought the product recently with the continuation of that in mind do have a fair an valid point.

any way i think alot of us are just gonna have to hope for an official line on weather or not we will be able to run some of the new updates on our ultras some how, if so ill be v happy.

Yes ... I bought my Ultra two months ago to the day... still stoked with it... but if you look at the very last sentence printed on the very last back page; that would be page 104... it clearly says...

(Specifications subject to change without notice)

Which FAS have just done. Which part of that is hard to understand?

Dude, we get it, you're rich and don't view $2k as any big deal. You're surely not alone here in that regard, many other folks have multiple $3k amps and two Ultras and etc etc.

It's strange for me to see the way people are choosing to defend the AxeFx by saying, roughly, yeah it's not gonna last forever, if you expect that then get out of the modeler market.

For me, I bought a Digitech RP7 back in the mid 90's, immediately ran into its severe limitations, and traded it to a friend (who still uses it!) for an old Rat and a Distortion+. I still have both of those and they both still work. I bought a Digitech RP20 and loved it, in terms of parameter control it's actually on par with the AxeFx if not better. But sonically it leaves a bit to be desired to say the least, and I found myself sticking with tube amps. I still use tube amps, and have NOT sold off my amps with some notion that the AxeFx replaces them. Why? Because I know that 10 years from now the AxeFx may well be non-functional, Fractal Audio may or may not even exist, and it's a certainty that there will be boxes that crush all current gear of this nature. And my 70's JMP will still be exactly what it's been for the past 30+ years, a great tube amp that's easy for me to fix and maintain. It will probably be awesome, and still hold its value, after I'm dead and gone.

So the defenders of the AxeFx in this thread are pushing that point? That all digital gear is short-lived, will always be outdone, will never have the longevity of tube amps? That's so weird to hear, though I suppose it's honest if nothing else.

I feel bad for anyone who sold their amps off to buy an AxeFx. Amps (especially classic, proven ones) retain their value, computer gear does not. Fact of life.

This whole line of thinking is right on when you're talking about a 5 or 10 or 25 year timespan. But for those of us who bought an AxeFx in the past couple months, this news is not exciting. If my Ultra still works 10 years from now, that's $200 a year that I'm paying for its utility. That's not too bad. But to learn, after two months, that it's gone from flagship model to "it's history", that's a big deal. If you can't see that, then there's really nothing left to say to you is there? I'm gonna assume you're just crazy rich and $2k doesn't mean anything to you. If Fractal has enough people of that nature waiting to buy their products, which I assume is indeed the case, then they'll be fine.

I really feel bad for people who sold off amps to buy an Ultra recently. Yes the functionality of the Ultra remains, there's nothing stopping it right now. But to put $2k into a box that people were selling for $2500 on eBay a week ago, only to find that today it's probably worth hundreds less... maybe a 25% drop in resale value in one day? It's not irrelevant like some folks are trying to make it out to be.

Lucky for me I knew what I was getting into buying a box like this. I feel bad for people who didn't, and who (like me) are seeing the newer better box come out so shortly after buying a very awesome but very expensive Ultra.

I'm also trying to do more than just whine about it, I'm already working out possible ways to move forward that include keeping my Ultra and buying a second, or keeping the Ultra and selling off some other gear I have that I don't use much but have held onto because it retains its value extremely well, and using that money to buy an AxeFx 2, or selling my Ultra and selling less other gear to just buy the AxeFx 2 and not have the Ultra anymore. I'm not working on any potential path forward that involves selling the Ultra and having no Fractal product, which tells me that I really love what the Ultra has been doing for me. It's definitely a testimony to the awesomeness of the AxeFx.

Selling serial number 001 of a handmade bass from the late 70's to buy an AxeFx2... What are the odds that 20 years from now I'll be kicking myself over that one... Hard to predict these things sometimes.

One thing for sure, I have to get to my practice space and play loud through my Ultra tonight. No question. I need to remind myself how even if this all ends with me buying and selling nothing, I *do* have the awesome piece of gear that I paid for. All this Internet discussion is pushing me to lose sight of that, which I don't want.

Last edited:
well i do understand... and after contacting both companies before i bought my product, and being assured that there was nothing in the pipe line... half the reason i bought it was because of the continuation/development of what is inside the box.. like i have already said... nobody mentioned it was near capacity at all! i hope the updates continue... not because i am a free loader (because im happy to pay for them) but because it was part of the sales pitch to sell the unit to me! and many people who bought the product recently with the continuation of that in mind do have a fair an valid point.

So, you believed that the current Ultra would still be enough hardware to handle the modelling improvements' requirements of hardware forever to come? 10 years form now? 20 years from now? How about 50 years from now? 10 years from now Cliff should limit his improvements to what the existing hardware can handle? I maintain that the Axe-FX Standard is all one would ever need in most cases... certainly in the case of an intelligent customer who decided to buy it. All one would ever "want" is a different story. Cliff has done nothing wrong.

So, you believed that the current Ultra would still be enough hardware to handle the modelling improvements' requirements of hardware forever to come? 10 years form now? 20 years from now? How about 50 years from now? 10 years from now Cliff should limit his improvements to what the existing hardware can handle? I maintain that the Axe-FX Standard is all one would ever need in most cases... certainly in the case of an intelligent customer who decided to buy it. All one would ever "want" is a different story. Cliff has done nothing wrong.

well 10,20,30, or even 50 years is very different to three months... fractal do a great job with there products an i'm sure the new is even better... does not change the fact that there are some people who have had there axe less than a month in some cases an are worried about the continuation of the development that they purchased.. and again that is a fair an valid point!

well 10,20,30, or even 50 years is very different to three months...

I suggest you email the cutoff point to Fractal so they know how long is acceptable.

If I bought an Ultra 3 months ago I would #1.) Sell it on eBay *immediately* upon hearing this news and then #2.) Buy the Axe-FX II. I'm confident that I could have sold it in at barely a loss... perhaps would have made money on it if it sold before the world all knew about the new release. I don't have much sympathy.

I suggest you email the cutoff point to Fractal so they know how long is acceptable.

If I bought an Ultra 3 months ago I would #1.) Sell it on eBay *immediately* upon hearing this news and then #2.) Buy the Axe-FX II. I'm confident that I could have sold it in at barely a loss... perhaps would have made money on it if it sold before the world all knew about the new release. I don't have much sympathy.

well aren't you the enlightened one!
ok 1 if the world didn't know about it... then how would i Einstein? 2 maybe some of us bought our products with the belief that there was no new unit coming out because we had taken the time to ask the makers and distributers. and just another one for you, im not looking for your sympathy neither do i need it.. i am not the only one on here that has pointed out this situation, so everyone who bought an ultra in the last few months believing that amps and effects may keep evolving must there fore must be stupid??? thank you for your enlightenment. ??????

well aren't you the enlightened one!
ok 1 if the world didn't know about it... then how would i Einstein? 2 maybe some of us bought our products with the belief that there was no new unit coming out because we had taken the time to ask the makers and distributers. and just another one for you, im not looking for your sympathy neither do i need it.. i am not the only one on here that has pointed out this situation, so everyone who bought an ultra in the last few months believing that amps and effects may keep evolving must there fore must be stupid??? thank you for your enlightenment. ??????

...don't know about enlightened but I do have my $2,000 still here because I figured this was gonna happen. I also figured that Fractal would't be giving a heads-up as to the new unit (even if asked... which is what I would have done if I thought they would answer). There are arguably a few very solid reasons that they shouldn't do so, whether you agree with those reasons or not. Luckily for you, and others, I can see Cliff giving a break on the new version for existing customers. There are also arguably a few solid reasons why asking him to do so is rude.

...don't know about enlightened but I do have my $2,000 still here because I figured this was gonna happen. I also figured that Fractal would't be giving a heads-up as to the new unit (even if asked... which is what I would have done if I thought they would answer). There are arguably a few very solid reasons that they shouldn't do so, whether you agree with those reasons or not. Luckily for you, and others, I can see Cliff giving a break on the new version for existing customers. There are also arguably a few solid reasons why asking him to do so is rude.

again i appreciate your help on this... ?? your post again alludes to every one buying this product over the last few months has been stupid? im sure lots of people would agree, maybe everyone will one day be as smart as your good self.

Once again I was clear that I have owned this unit less than 3 weeks after asking a very clear question as to when a new version was available making clear I wanted to wait if there was a newer version. Somehow I think someone would know within 3 weeks. Actually the return policy is15 days from purchase.

again i appreciate your help on this... ?? your post again alludes to every one buying this product over the last few months has been stupid? im sure lots of people would agree, maybe everyone will one day be as smart as your good self.

I am not calling anyone stupid. I am primarily expressing my opinion that Cliff does not deserve to hear the whining. He deserves commended for his unusually high standards and his continued drive to be better. There is nothing wrong with politely inquiring if a trade-in program would be something he would consider, but the whining is juvenile and represents a lack of understanding.

I cannot tell how PO'd I am about this. I understand how technology purchases work. I just purchased the Ultra on April 18th 2011. Prior to this purchase I had inquired on a couple of occasions if a newer version would be available in the near future. My response was if there were plans that I would obviously rather wait for that newest product. I am a professional working musician who relies on the latest equipment. I was led to believe that there was no newer version. On top of this I recently had surgery and have not even had the chance but to open the box and try a couple of presets and put it away. I cannot believe that a company would not honor a trade-in on a product that is less the 30 days from original purchase. If the trade-in is not allowed then I have to say that this is not what I expected from this company and is considered a questionable business practice at best.

Sincerely

TommyB

I'm in the same situation, however, mine was bought about 6 weeks ago. I also emailed FA to see if there were future updates:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

I'm in the same situation, however, mine was bought about 6 weeks ago. I also emailed FA to see if there were future updates:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

I emailed Fractal earlier today basically expressing how self-serving I thought it was that they didn't give advanced notice on this. Basically the only conclusion I can make is that they KNEW Ultra sales would go down leading up to Axe II and CHOSE to not tell people for that reason.

ROLAND recently rolled out their latest guitar synth, the GR-55. I think they did it right. First there was the announcement, at a trade show, with some demo units for folks to see, try, write about, etc.... During the lag time to availability, current users had plenty of time to unload on ebay, save up, get on a waiting list, etc. Finally, several months later the product was available.

FAS did the exact opposite.... Hush, hush, hush, then suddenly a mysterious 10 day COUNTDOWN during which the consensus was that here would be no ULTRA II, only software, or an effects only unit, or a combo amp, etc. Nobody saw the end of the line for existing products.

When I bought my ULTRA in February, I chose it over a STANDARD because of the power, memory, upgradeability that was advertised.

IMHO, FAS should have announced the AXE II before the holidays, closed out existing inventories at sale prices, after all these were legacy products, and allowed the base of existing users to get ready, adapt, whatever.

All the countdown did, IMHO, was raise unrealistic expectations and convert a large percentage of the customer base from happy to disappointed campers.

Last edited:
ROLAND recently rolled out their latest guitar synth, the GR-55. I think they did it right. First there was the announcement, at a trade show, with some demo units for folks to see, try, write about, etc.... During the lag time to availability, current users had plenty of time to unload on ebay, save up, get on a waiting list, etc. Finally, several months later the product was available.

I'm not sure how this is much different, really. At whatever point FA announced the new hardware, the reaction from those who were just outside the return period at the point of announcement would likely be the same regardless if the new product was released in a couple weeks or a couple months.

I am not calling anyone stupid. I am primarily expressing my opinion that Cliff does not deserve to hear the whining. He deserves commended for his unusually high standards and his continued drive to be better. There is nothing wrong with politely inquiring if a trade-in program would be something he would consider, but the whining is juvenile and represents a lack of understanding.

listen, your not qualified to comment on whining when you haven't parted with two grand and are wondering weather or not the product you have bought will keep receiving updates? it is in fact not whining but a straight forward question! i don't understand why you've piped up in the first place?? and i wouldn't want a fair trade in or ask for it because its obviously not going to happen. but there are points to which many people have displayed unease because they are worried about the future of the ultra. it is only fair that these people are able to ask questions without interference from folks who aren't even in that situation, indeed who don't even own an axe ultra???? enough of my time wasted speaking to you.

I emailed Fractal earlier today basically expressing how self-serving I thought it was that they didn't give advanced notice on this. Basically the only conclusion I can make is that they KNEW Ultra sales would go down leading up to Axe II and CHOSE to not tell people for that reason.

Well they aren't available today and will be available in the next few weeks, so really you are getting what you wanted.
They are pre-announcing them NOW for release in a few weeks time.
This is the advance notice.
Enjoy it.

Roland also has a different sales cycle and method. They are not selling to end users and also don't give a rats ass about resale value of the old units. They also don't support their products nearly as well as Fractal has.

I'm not sure how this is much different, really. At whatever point FA announced the new hardware, the reaction from those who were just outside the return period at the point of announcement would likely be the same regardless if the new product was released in a couple weeks or a couple months.

Yup. No different. If someone had purchased the older one a month before the announcement, they were kicking themselves (and looking for a way to unload it...)

Wow ,Now this is entertainment. This could get as long as the 10 day count down. 10 . Owner of the best technology for 1 month 29 days. Could of been worse ,at the end of the count down all of our axe fx could of stopped working.

Back
Top Bottom