Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

Everyone is acting like the Standards or Ultras they have will suddenly stop working! They're still going to sound amazing and after all the big hype of the Axe Fx II dies down, you can upgrade to the new one in a year or so.

Everyone is acting like the Standards or Ultras they have will suddenly stop working! They're still going to sound amazing and after all the big hype of the Axe Fx II dies down, you can upgrade to the new one in a year or so.

Even better, there may be an Ultra II by then, so they can surpass the II-owners.

I'm surprised by how much complaining there is. Fractal introduced an upgraded product — we knew it would happen; we all wanted it to happen; we just didn't know when. And they kept the price down. That's a good thing. I mean, c'mon guys, we're consumers. We want prices to be low. It makes the product more attainable.

Sure, I'm GASing for an Axe-FX II. But it's out of the question for me at the moment. And as shasha points out, My Ultra still sounds every bit as good as it did yesterday, before the II was announced. And it still smokes anyone else's product. I'm bummed because I don't have the best anymore, but that's a bit shallow of me. There are thousands of players who are still shelling out $2000 or more on two- or three-tone tube amps, one after the other, in search of what I've already found.

Congratulations, Cliff and the Fractal team! You were at the top of your field and you still moved ahead. And you've developed so much cred that no one is asking, "Does it live up to the hype?"

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how much complaining there is. Fractal introduced an upgraded product — we knew it would happen; we all wanted it to happen; we just didn't know when. And they kept the price down. That's a good thing. I mean, c'mon guys, we're consumers. We want prices to be low. It makes the product more attainable.

Sure, I'm GASing for an Axe-FX II. But it's out of the question for me at the moment. And as shasha points out, My Ultra still sounds every bit as good as it did yesterday, before the II was announced. And it still smokes anyone else's product. I'm bummed because I don't have the best anymore, but that's a bit shallow of me. There are thousands of players who are still shelling out $2000 or more on two- or three-tone tube amps, one after the other, in search of what I've already found.

Congratulations, Cliff and the Fractal team! You were at the top of your field and you still moved ahead. And you've developed so much cred that no one is asking, "Does it live up to the hype?"

wise man is wise!

Even better, there may be an Ultra II by then, so they can surpass the II-owners.

Yek did Cliff send you axe 2? If he didn't I think that sucks be side you've contributed a lot. And info that you put on that wiki is precious. When I bought my standard like almost a month ago, I had so many questions and your wiki really helped. You can have the new technology but if you don't know how to use it, whats the point in having it?
So I think cliff should give you one. Or at least let you get one first at discount or something man. you earned it. :)

Last edited:

You guys are being pretty condescending and not really reflecting the reality of the situation. It's not about "must have better than everyone else" it's more about "OOH sweet now I won't run into the 95% processor wall so quickly with a two-amp setup, and can plug in headphones without hooking up my laptop and soundcard, and can use USB instead of being locked into SPDIF". But if it makes you feel good to talk about recent Ultra purchasers like we're all a bunch of rich pricks who need the newest Ferrari or whatever, go ahead, knock yourself out. you're just needlessly being rude and aren't even accurate with your sentiment.

Oh and for what it's worth, it was Fractal Audio who said the AxeFx is "history", not me. I love my Ultra. I didn't say it's a dead/dying box, Fractal Audio did in their own document. So there's that, eh?

Oh and for what it's worth, it was Fractal Audio who said the AxeFx is "history", not me. I love my Ultra. I didn't say it's a dead/dying box, Fractal Audio did in their own document. So there's that, eh?

The problem I think with the new announcement is how they act like the ultra and standard are near their upgrading capacity and pushing this NEW product like it was the greatest thing since swiss cheese!

I think this attitude of out with the old in with the new, may fray on some nerves when some just spent a boatload of cash and time trying to get an ultra or standard.

Arghhhhh!!!!! Just bought my Ultra a month ago! The only one feature I missed in the ultra was usb, and now it's coming!!!! I really hope Fractal Audio will offer some kind of upgrade program for people who just bought their unit. Would be so unfair otherwise. Cliff, are you listening??? Please?

What would fractal audio DO with all of those "traded in" units? I do not think this will happen personally.

I think this attitude of out with the old in with the new, may fray on some nerves when some just spent a boatload of cash and time trying to get an ultra or standard.
+1
Arghhhhh!!!!! Just bought my Ultra a month ago! The only one feature I missed in the ultra was usb, and now it's coming!!!!
+1

Man, I know you alway get new and improved computer gear. Hell, I am an Apple guy.
But I know at least 6 months in advance when a new iPhone or MacBook will come out.

This out of the blue "end of life" of the "mature" Axe FX/Ultra is a real bummer. That's how you are alienating your customers.

What would fractal audio DO with all of those "traded in" units? I do not think this will happen personally.

Sell them as factory refurbished (which in most cases will involve zero refurbishing) with their normal warranty to people worldwide who have been waiting for months to get one. I bet at least some of those folks would still be happy with an Ultra if they don't need more than the Ultra offers or if they're in enough of a hurry that they don't wanna wait 6 or 9 months till the AxeFx 2 starts shipping overseas?

Sell them as factory refurbished (which in most cases will involve zero refurbishing) with their normal warranty to people worldwide who have been waiting for months to get one. I bet at least some of those folks would still be happy with an Ultra if they don't need more than the Ultra offers or if they're in enough of a hurry that they don't wanna wait 6 or 9 months till the AxeFx 2 starts shipping overseas?
QFT

Well I will not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. If it does, I will be surprised.

well the ULTRAs do have a LOT of real-estate in 'em. maybe there's a way to upgrade them for a price? Maybe Fractal could offer different upgrade options - a new faceplate, a second Tigersharc, etc. Not sure if that'd be possible.

well the ULTRAs do have a LOT of real-estate in 'em. maybe there's a way to upgrade them for a price? Maybe Fractal could offer different upgrade options - a new faceplate, a second Tigersharc, etc. Not sure if that'd be possible.

I was actually thinking about the same thing!
I would graciously accept this trade up for a fee.

I was actually thinking about the same thing!
I would graciously accept this trade up for a fee.

Now if they were able to do something like THAT, it may make customers happy. They would probably have to put in a new motherboard...BUT.... there are so many "new" options on the axe fx II, I just don't think it would be possible.

The front for example is totally changed as well as the motherboard, so I do not see how this is possible even IF people were willing to pay!

But it DID happen with another product built by another company.....the line 6 vetta! For a small price you could change the original vetta to a vetta II, but in that product, the knobs were all in the same places.

So how this would work in a axe fx ultra is very doubtful.

Last edited:
Now you all know why the Axe-FX has been in such short supply lately. I'm glad not more of you got in at the last moment so they'd be disappointed in this way.

On the other hand, if Fractal had spilled the beans earlier, they'd be stuck with a lot of units that would have to be sold at a substantial discount. That could be a big problem for a smaller company like Fractal. If they had stopped the sale of G1's earlier, the people that got those last ones would be griping too and the rumor mill would be off the charts.

For Fractal there's no way to win with the introduction of a new unit in this field, because it is a field that is so close to the heart and extremely competitive as well. I think the way they did this was the best possible, damage was kept to a minimum. Which still sucks for the ones that were struck, though, and I sympathize. My Ultra will be sinking in resale value just like any other. It's still an awesome machine!

I'm so glad Fractal is still around and able to take care of us users. In the current economic situation there could easily have been other reasons why the Axe-FX was in such short supply lately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom