Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

ProtoType

If you recently purchased a ultra or standard, i feel your pain. So far no news of a trade offer or compensation. Any one got any info on this?

if not.... here is a video message for fractal, which pretty much describes how i feel right now. Click here

Last edited:
As funny as that clip is, I definitely don't feel like Fractal's screwed me. If anything it just comes down to bad luck or bad timing for lots of us who bought recently. Fractal could've said they had a new box on the way, but other than that there isn't really anything they could've done. I just hate feeling like the victim of bad timing, especially when exactly this scenario was one of my biggest fears in buying the Ultra.

Well I'm certainly hoping there ends up being some sorta trade-in upgrade. I guess we'll find out. My Ultra is in exactly the same condition as the day I got it, namely, no marks anywhere except a small scratch on one of the rack ears that I photographed as I unboxed it. I figured, ah, why bother over such a small scratch, it's not like I'm gonna sell this thing.

Ugh.

Unless you over payed for your Axe I don't think you are going to take that big of a hit. Not every one that owns a Standard or an Ultra is going to run out and buy the Axe ll tomorrow, hell we don't even know what kind of stock FAS has. Supply and demand will still dictate what price will bring in the used market but It would be a fair guess that at least a few hundred less then it would have before the announcement.

At least a few hundred less... Totally don't wanna hear that.

Good thing I play metal. I'm getting away from this forum and playing guitar now. Lol. Time to go make some angry new riffs.

As funny as that clip is, I definitely don't feel like Fractal's screwed me. If anything it just comes down to bad luck or bad timing for lots of us who bought recently. Fractal could've said they had a new box on the way, but other than that there isn't really anything they could've done. I just hate feeling like the victim of bad timing, especially when exactly this scenario was one of my biggest fears in buying the Ultra.

Well I'm certainly hoping there ends up being some sorta trade-in upgrade. I guess we'll find out. My Ultra is in exactly the same condition as the day I got it, namely, no marks anywhere except a small scratch on one of the rack ears that I photographed as I unboxed it. I figured, ah, why bother over such a small scratch, it's not like I'm gonna sell this thing.

Ugh.

I feel the same. Got a scratch on the bottom from moving it on a cab before i had time to buy a rack case. Wicked... And actually I believe there will be a very significant depreciation on the ultras. The 2 only cost 200 dollars more. This is a huge hit on the old units.

I can understand Sixstring's frustration...I got my ultra recently and would have never have bought it if I knew anything about a new axe fx II, but one thing is for certian.... a LOT of people will feel screwed with this announcement.

But that is just technology.

But if the wait times for an ultra were a year for some people trying to buy one, I wonder how long the wait times will be for this new unit???

Yeah, we just have to be patient and see if either:

1) Fractal offers a generous trade-up program, or

2) Standard and Ultra prices stabilize after the market finishes reacting to this major announcement

I know I am personally regretting not selling my Ultra a week ago when people were paying almost $1900 for them used. Ah well, sometimes you come up and sometimes you go down.

Honestly if they aren't going to offer a trade-up program I just would like to see them post that no they aren't. I think enough users on the forum have posted that are in the same situation so it deserves at least a simple yes or no.

I know I am personally regretting not selling my Ultra a week ago when people were paying almost $1900 for them used. Ah well, sometimes you come up and sometimes you go down.
I am so sick of this upgrade spiral with all computer gear.

Just upgraded from the Standard to the Ultra in December and now this. Fuck it.

How dare them improve the Axe FX! lol Very smart move as there are other amp "modeler type" units coming soon, this looks like the best one as it has all the effects and power to back it but you don't want people to be trying out "profilers" and holding off on such a fine new processor. Simply load up your current models with some good presets/IRs, and they will sell. Lots of people want the effects and IRs without running plugins and don't want to wait around for everyone to get the new model and sell the old. Could be months of waiting, and when people get GAS they don't like to wait too long.

You just said what I was thinking "MONTHS OF WAITING"!

Think, if it took a year for some people on these boards just to get an ultra, then how long will they have to wait just to get their hands on one of these?

Unless Cliff comes up with a faster way of getting these out, I would think the same cycle will be repeated.

It could make people give up on it altogether. I don't know that is just a guess. I still think the ultra and standard are great units and will not be going away anytime soon, but guitarists are a fickle bunch.

We will have to wait and see what happens a few months after this announcement.

Last edited:
LOL at all the ones that just went up for sale. Some even upgraded to 11.0

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fractal+audio+axe+fx&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

Its going to be even funnier when all these people sell theirs, then find out they can't get their hands on the Axe II and they're without anything!

But seriously, I'm kinda pissed at myself for buying a Standard yesterday instead of waiting. Oh well atlesat I didn't over pay like a boatload of people have been doing lately. Who the hell pays more for used gear than it costs new?!

Last edited:
Sorry guys but that's the way progress works. Today's hip is tomorrow's hasbeen. If you buy a mac book today it's the same, there might be a new one tomorrow. You can't really blame FAS for not revealing this any earlier, because if they'd stop using normal management principles for their decisions, there would not be any more FAS soon.

So... I am still on a waiting list for a discounted MFC101.... unless FA has a shitload of thr II's already warehoused and waiting to ship... it'll be 2 years before the "average" guy will even get his hands on one! My Ultra will still be the big dog in my neighborhood for a while!!!!

You can't really blame FAS for not revealing this any earlier, because if they'd stop using normal management principles for their decisions, there would not be any more FAS soon.

I disagree, I think if SOMETHING would have been said, then people could have made plans. But I love my ultra and am not planning on selling it anytime soon, because the wait times for the "new" axe II will probably be the same as the ultras were.

Good luck to anyone selling theirs and then trying to purchase a new one....they may have a very, very long wait!

Just thought of something funnier than all the ultras up for sale...WHAT IF....this unit for the axe fx II is actually a STANDARD and then they come out with an ULTRA axe fx II later on?

Then I guess the guys that bought THAT would feel screwed! LOL!

Last edited:
yeah webe I agree. I have a mesa mark IV and a good recording set up so I could have made the plans to save the money and wait for the 2. I'm just hoping for a trade up option.

We don't even know how long it's going to be before they start shipping for regular folks...you know that the first few batches are probably earmarked already. It could be 6 months before they are readily available.

I've been giving the complainers a bit of a hard time, but I do think that if you bought within the last 2 months or so that you do have a right to feel a bit disappointed here and have an argument. I bought mine 6 months ago and have no problem with having to go through some depreciation if I do plan to sell and upgrade. That's just part of life. And I can see why they wouldn't have given a heads up to prospective buyers because it would have gotten out early. It's still a business and if there is inventory you still have to sell it; especially a smaller company they can't eat thousands of dollars worth of product.

I will say that for a product being the flagship model for 4 years that's pretty long....and the fact that tomorrow it's going to cost me the same as I already paid for it and it may even sound as great as it did earlier today (hell it may sound better with the new firmware) is good enough for me. Unless there's some kind of timebomb in there I'll be jamming away just as happy.

There's a problem with trade ins I think. What the hell is fractal gonna do with all these almost outdated products if everyone wants axe 2 now? I would think they'd be losing money. Market gurus clarify! I think shasha is one of them. Wise man is wise.

Back
Top Bottom