Recent UPDATE affecting tone?

So I recently updated the firmware for the axe fx and I also updated the axe edit about a few days ago.

It seemed like nothing much changed but just yesterday I noticed that my presets were not sound as good. Something is off and I can't pin point.

Did the update affect the parameters or something?

This is really pissing me off because I'm in the middle of recording and I hate to have to figure out how to retrieve the toned that I loved.

I swear I changed nothing in the presets themselves.

Anyone else experience this?

Never A good idea to update FW while in the middle of a recording project. if you must , you can revert to 8.02. You will probly also have to revert axe edit.......I would first try to go into the AMP block of your offending preset (via front panel) and check the new parameters installed by 9.01 ....and ALSO, make sure you installed the Latest FW version....not the beta.
http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX II Firmwares/

You shouldn't update firwmare mid recording.
Changing tone for the better (Improving amp modeling) is the whole point of firmware updates.
I'd recommend just installing your old firmware to finish your recording or redoing your presets.

You are getting the same answers in two different forum threads....maybe delete one.....edit...looks like it may have already been done.....

So I recently updated the firmware for the axe fx and I also updated the axe edit about a few days ago.

It seemed like nothing much changed but just yesterday I noticed that my presets were not sound as good. Something is off and I can't pin point.

Did the update affect the parameters or something?

This is really pissing me off because I'm in the middle of recording and I hate to have to figure out how to retrieve the toned that I loved.

I swear I changed nothing in the presets themselves.

Anyone else experience this?

9.01 Beta
Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for.

9.01 Beta 2
Fixes the weird distortion in the Deluxe Reverb et. al. models.

9.01 Release version
- Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for.
- Fixed Learn function in Pitch block not working if modifier attached to Learn parameter and not in GUI for that block.

Like what everybody else said, it's not a good idea to update firmware while recording. This is why I'm still on Q7.02, after all these months.

OMG this is so retarded. I'm still trying to get a hang of all this technical jargon. I've owned the Axe less than a year.

I'm going A wall right. I really didn't think this would affect anything. Its affected all my presets. They all sound like crap.

I followed someone's advice and reverted back to the older Firmware and judging by my downloads here on my MAC it seems like the last firmware I was using was 8.01. I don't know how to revert the Axe Edit to the previous update.

Anyway, It didn't seem to fix the problem, the tones didn't go back to how they sounded. In fact it deleted one of my presets in the process. Honestly I did not back up my presets.

I tried going back to FW 9 thinking this is a lost cause and I might as well try to tweak it from here on out but now it's not letting me go back to FW9 at this point.

I honestly had no idea it would affect this much, Axe Edit is always asking me to update so I did along with updating the firmware thinking it would have no affect in a bad way.

I know I'm stupid, and you're all crossing your arms telling me I'm an idiot.

God I just want to jump off a bridge right now.

I don't know how to revert the Axe Edit to the previous update.
@AlGrenadine 's archive (see his sig) has old versions of just about everything.

In fact it deleted one of my presets in the process. Honestly I did not back up my presets.
The missing preset was probably created or edited on the new firmware. It's still there, but you won't be able to use it without the new firmware.

...now it's not letting me go back to FW9 at this point.
What happens when you try?

Have another go at the new firmware. Sometimes you just get a funky load, and reloading does the trick.

Its affected all my presets. They all sound like crap.

Can you try and describe what is wrong with the presets? Too much bass? Muddy? Fizzy and bright? Distorted even on clean amps? (the list goes on...) This will help us diagnose potential issues.

I tried going back to FW 9 thinking this is a lost cause and I might as well try to tweak it from here on out but now it's not letting me go back to FW9 at this point.

Again, can you describe what you mean when you say it's not letting you go to FW9? Are you getting any error message on the PC? Or is there a message on the Axe FX? Are you using FractalBot to do the upgrade?

I know I'm stupid, and you're all crossing your arms telling me I'm an idiot.

Not at all. The Axe FX is a complicated piece of kit, and everyone's been through moments like this. You've just got to give us as much information as you can, and hopefully those with more experience will be able to point you in the right direction. :) Don't let it get to you too much - when you get FW9 working properly it will be worth it!

Did you try adjusting the new speaker compression parameter in the amp block? Also make sure you are on the official release, not the beta. My Q8.02 presets sound great on the update. Zero changes EXCEPT spkr comp. oh, and make sure motor drive in the cab block is turned to zero. I know it sounds complicated but the new spkr drive parameter takes the place of motor drive so you don't want to use both.

9.01 Beta
Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for.

9.01 Beta 2
Fixes the weird distortion in the Deluxe Reverb et. al. models.

9.01 Release version
- Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for.
- Fixed Learn function in Pitch block not working if modifier attached to Learn parameter and not in GUI for that block.

Like what everybody else said, it's not a good idea to update firmware while recording. This is why I'm still on Q7.02, after all these months.

I think this item you have in released version:

Actually happened in BETA 2. I believe this is why we liked BETA 2 much more then BETA 1.

The release only fixed the learn function from what I understand.

OMG this is so retarded

There you go. Good job busting out the R word. Perhaps you can work in the N word in your next response. Don't be surprised if people ignore your request when you offend large swaths of people who know and help people with mental handicaps.

There you go. Good job busting out the R word. Perhaps you can work in the N word in your next response. Don't be surprised if people ignore your request when you offend large swaths of people who know and help people with mental handicaps.

Lighten up... it’s a guitar modeler forum, not your own PC zone. Stop irrationally hating and harshing on a person who is struggling with a real problem related to this forum (instead of some perceived violation of your personal hyper-sensitivities).:rolleyes:

To the OP: lots of terrific advice above; I agree with checking the new speaker compression values in your presets. Especially if you started with presets created by fractal audio, As they often have varying amounts of speaker compression (from the prior motor drive values iirc). Good luck.

Last edited:
no issues here. I am using a mesa poweramp into cabs with cab sims off. If anything I think it sounds better. Good luck.

My God what in the hell has happened to people??? Is EVERYONE offended by EVERYTHING these days!!! The word "retarded" is in fact, a real word. If you look it up in the dictionary it is slang for "stupid" or "foolish". He wasn't calling anybody a retard. He was referring to the situation he is in. To try to equate what he did with using the "N" word is just ridiculous. Find a REAL problem to be offended about. Jesus...

Uh-oh, I said "Jesus". You'd better find a safe place.

Last edited:
I think this item you have in released version:

Actually happened in BETA 2. I believe this is why we liked BETA 2 much more then BETA 1.

The release only fixed the learn function from what I understand.

Here is a direct copy and paste of the Quantum_Release_Notes included in the 9.01 Release version ZIP folder:

Fixed Learn function in Pitch block not working if modifier attached to Learn parameter and not in GUI for that block.

Edit:
Copy and paste of the Quantum_Release_Notes included in 9.01 Beta 1 ZIP folder:

Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for

Last edited:
1. Try resetting system parameters (this is technically not supposed to change anything, but it has helped me a few times regardless.)
2. Create a new preset with just amp/cab and see if it still doesn't sound like you expect.
3. Like Rex said, reload the FW.

Good luck.

I mainly use the Mesa IIC++ amp, I dont know what it is I dont like about Q9 firmware but for the life of me after endless tweaks and back and forth with firmware 8.02 ive come to the conclusion that I'll just stay with Q8.02 and to be honest I'm fine with that, it does everything and more than I want or will ever need. If I never update my axeFx again thats fine with me :)

Back
Top Bottom