Recent experience with Axe-Fx III and concerns

I actually think the Xitone 12 passives would probably work well with my matrix GT1000FX.

Where do you put your AxeFX when you use the ZLX?

I have mine in a 4U soft rack case with a power conditioner. I used to bring a stand for it, but now I just plug the cables in and then stand the rack on it's back, facing up, and put it in front of me. You can see it in the video I posted - it's to my left and in front of a house monitor that's facing me. ZLX12P is behind me standing up.

I've found sounds tweaked for my JBL 308s never translate thru a PA at band volume. Best way to tweak sounds for me is thru the PA at gig volume.

Here's a video of my band doing a Fastway song at a club a few weeks ago. I had a ZLX-12P behind me for stage volume, and the rest was the house PA. Best band sound I've ever had. I think I had high cut at around 6800 and low cut around 125 or 130. My cab block was a mix of 4 different stock cabs. The cab is very important - it has a huge impact on the sound of a preset.

Quick correction...the high cut was closer to 9000 - big difference!

Quick correction...the high cut was closer to 9000 - big difference!
I run out 1 to my rig and out 2 to FOH, so I can use a PEQ block at the end of each output. My out 1 is set at low cut 80 to 100hz, high cut 7k. Out 2 is set to low cut 100hz, high cut 6k to 8k depending on the top PA cabs. Some HF drives can get very fizzy, so I can adjust on the fly. I have great results with these settings.

I've been using the EV ZLX12P and it's been great. I paid only $300 off eBay for a brand new one, including the cover, so... Yes, it's great.
I run OUT 1 to the ZLX with flat EQ, Live mode, Monitor location and Volume at 0. and OUT 2 to FOH.
Here's how it sounded last week.

So funky - that sounded excellent! Is that an old Kramer yo'ure playing? Looks like the same headstock as my '84 Pacer.

Thank you, JD_! That's my 2018 Suhr Custom Classic with the Aldrich pickups running through the ODS Clean & Ford at the same time.

Reactions: JD_
I agree. I use a single EV ZLX-12P (sometimes two) as my 'backline' at rehearsal and in small clubs, and they sound great. They're a little bass heavy at low volumes, so you definitely have to dial in band presets at band volume. Once you get them up at band volume, they open up. I leave the EQ (on the EV speaker) completely flat, run it's volume at 0 db, and adjust volume with the output knob on the Axe-FX III. There are some other settings on that ZLX-12P as well; I'm not at home, but I want to say I run it at 'Monitor' and 'Live'.

Here's a video of my band doing a Fastway song at a club a few weeks ago. I had a ZLX-12P behind me for stage volume, and the rest was the house PA. Best band sound I've ever had. I think I had high cut at around 6800 and low cut around 125 or 130. My cab block was a mix of 4 different stock cabs. The cab is very important - it has a huge impact on the sound of a preset.

By the way, I was also using the pitch block to pitch down a half step (and my guitar was already at E flat). That Fastway stuff is pretty high for a singer!

Dude! You get points just for playing that tune. And you earned bonus points for a kickass delivery. I remember playing that tune long ago - fun stuff.

Back
Top Bottom