• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Recent experience with Axe-Fx III and concerns

JD_

Inspired
I actually think the Xitone 12 passives would probably work well with my matrix GT1000FX.

Where do you put your AxeFX when you use the ZLX?

I have mine in a 4U soft rack case with a power conditioner. I used to bring a stand for it, but now I just plug the cables in and then stand the rack on it's back, facing up, and put it in front of me. You can see it in the video I posted - it's to my left and in front of a house monitor that's facing me. ZLX12P is behind me standing up.

jakbur

Experienced
I've found sounds tweaked for my JBL 308s never translate thru a PA at band volume. Best way to tweak sounds for me is thru the PA at gig volume.

JD_

Inspired
Here's a video of my band doing a Fastway song at a club a few weeks ago. I had a ZLX-12P behind me for stage volume, and the rest was the house PA. Best band sound I've ever had. I think I had high cut at around 6800 and low cut around 125 or 130. My cab block was a mix of 4 different stock cabs. The cab is very important - it has a huge impact on the sound of a preset.

Quick correction...the high cut was closer to 9000 - big difference!

Tommy Tempest

Power User
Quick correction...the high cut was closer to 9000 - big difference!
I run out 1 to my rig and out 2 to FOH, so I can use a PEQ block at the end of each output. My out 1 is set at low cut 80 to 100hz, high cut 7k. Out 2 is set to low cut 100hz, high cut 6k to 8k depending on the top PA cabs. Some HF drives can get very fizzy, so I can adjust on the fly. I have great results with these settings.

JD_

Inspired
I've been using the EV ZLX12P and it's been great. I paid only $300 off eBay for a brand new one, including the cover, so... Yes, it's great.
I run OUT 1 to the ZLX with flat EQ, Live mode, Monitor location and Volume at 0. and OUT 2 to FOH.
Here's how it sounded last week.

So funky - that sounded excellent! Is that an old Kramer yo'ure playing? Looks like the same headstock as my '84 Pacer.

diddleybo

Inspired
Thank you, JD_! That's my 2018 Suhr Custom Classic with the Aldrich pickups running through the ODS Clean & Ford at the same time.

Reactions: JD_

hippietim

Fractal Fanatic
I agree. I use a single EV ZLX-12P (sometimes two) as my 'backline' at rehearsal and in small clubs, and they sound great. They're a little bass heavy at low volumes, so you definitely have to dial in band presets at band volume. Once you get them up at band volume, they open up. I leave the EQ (on the EV speaker) completely flat, run it's volume at 0 db, and adjust volume with the output knob on the Axe-FX III. There are some other settings on that ZLX-12P as well; I'm not at home, but I want to say I run it at 'Monitor' and 'Live'.

Here's a video of my band doing a Fastway song at a club a few weeks ago. I had a ZLX-12P behind me for stage volume, and the rest was the house PA. Best band sound I've ever had. I think I had high cut at around 6800 and low cut around 125 or 130. My cab block was a mix of 4 different stock cabs. The cab is very important - it has a huge impact on the sound of a preset.

By the way, I was also using the pitch block to pitch down a half step (and my guitar was already at E flat). That Fastway stuff is pretty high for a singer!

Dude! You get points just for playing that tune. And you earned bonus points for a kickass delivery. I remember playing that tune long ago - fun stuff.

Top Bottom