Recent Axe Convert

Compy

Hey all!

I was one of those typical guitar players that swore nothing could match analog. I was the guy with the million bank true bypass looper, a few strymons and a ton of boutique pedals. I had a decent rig that could dial in everything from crisp cleans to your atmospheric tones. (Being a huge pink floyd fan mostly of the late 80s and 90s pulse tones, I had most of the stuff from that rig).

However I saw these various youtubers playing a lot of gilmour stuff that sounded nearly identical to the tones I'd been trying to craft for a number of years. So, I did something stupid. I sold every piece of gear on my pedalboard so I'd have the "gear budget" to buy an Axe FX 3. It definitely took some learning to get things dialed in, but after downloading a few presets and making a few of my own, I got the hang of the edit/workflow in Axe Edit III.

After connecting it to my PC and recording direct into Reaper, I've really gotten "those sounds" that I never could manage to get. I'm talking about the types of sounds you'd hear on others' recordings and think you'd never be able to get a tone that clear. The unit has been that good for me.

Anywho, I really think I've made the right decision (which is good seeing as I don't want to buy back all of the gear I sold). I kept my amp in case I ever want to do a 4 cable method for live playing with the amp!

Now to see about getting a good pair of studio monitors!

Glad to be part of the Fractal community now!
-- Jimmy

Welcome to the machine. Same experience of a lot of players here, it's a daunting decision to make but in the end it is more than worth it for sure. I'm 4 years in with the Axe III and am still amazed by how great the tones and effects are, absolutely no compromise in any area.

There's a lot of threads regarding studio monitors with some great info and comparisons. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search/1351047/?q=studio+monitors&c[title_only]=1&o=date

Welcome dude

Your contribution is allready top notch in the DIY building section... makes me even more curious on your preset building for sure

Cheers 🍻

Hey all!

I was one of those typical guitar players that swore nothing could match analog. I was the guy with the million bank true bypass looper, a few strymons and a ton of boutique pedals. I had a decent rig that could dial in everything from crisp cleans to your atmospheric tones. (Being a huge pink floyd fan mostly of the late 80s and 90s pulse tones, I had most of the stuff from that rig).

However I saw these various youtubers playing a lot of gilmour stuff that sounded nearly identical to the tones I'd been trying to craft for a number of years. So, I did something stupid. I sold every piece of gear on my pedalboard so I'd have the "gear budget" to buy an Axe FX 3. It definitely took some learning to get things dialed in, but after downloading a few presets and making a few of my own, I got the hang of the edit/workflow in Axe Edit III.

After connecting it to my PC and recording direct into Reaper, I've really gotten "those sounds" that I never could manage to get. I'm talking about the types of sounds you'd hear on others' recordings and think you'd never be able to get a tone that clear. The unit has been that good for me.

Anywho, I really think I've made the right decision (which is good seeing as I don't want to buy back all of the gear I sold). I kept my amp in case I ever want to do a 4 cable method for live playing with the amp!

-- Jimmy
Welcome and enjoy the gear and the forum. Look forward to helping further your journey through the forum!

Hey all!

-- Jimmy
Read the lyrics to Sad But True by Metallica...that is FAS and the Forum...come on into the rabbit hole with us. I go to the Forum every morning even before I check my emails and bank account, a pot or two of coffee later the sun comes up and I'm still at it.
I turn on my Turbo every morning and do something with it...even on days my RA is acting up too bad to play I'm tweaking or something. You'll find preset packs and cab packs that are cheaper than a round of golf and you HAVE to try them. Not my fault they charge too little to say no!
You'll post the perfect Pulse preset and we'll just ask for more from you...welcome to the community! ;)

Read the lyrics to Sad But True by Metallica...that is FAS and the Forum...come on into the rabbit hole with us. I go to the Forum every morning even before I check my emails and bank account, a pot or two of coffee later the sun comes up and I'm still at it.
I turn on my Turbo every morning and do something with it...even on days my RA is acting up too bad to play I'm tweaking or something. You'll find preset packs and cab packs that are cheaper than a round of golf and you HAVE to try them. Not my fault they charge too little to say no!
You'll post the perfect Pulse preset and we'll just ask for more from you...welcome to the community! ;)
You nailed the vibe here for sure! I do the same thing, get up and before my stampede of meetings (or even during times of stress during the day), its so easy to just flip on the AFX3 and just play. It is absolutely insane to spend $5 on someone's pack of presets and be able to dial in a tone that is something like what you've always wanted to sound like.

I DID end up dialing in a pulse preset, recorded a few tracks, sent them to a friend and, aside from a few clammed notes, he said it sounded nearly like the live album. Absolutely fantastic, and beats the pants off of playing the pedal round robin game that comes with seeking out tones.

Hey all!

-- Jimmy
Welcome. The mistake I made after purchasing the Axe2 and Axe3 was to not study the IO part of the manual. The FX is by default assuming that you will not be directly connected to a house mixer. By doing so, the FX only generates a -10dBu output. So for YEARS my church people claimed they could only hear me when the band was at low volume and years of youtube videos, the guitar volume was nonexistent. One day I stumbled upon OUT1/2 configuration needs to be changed from -10 to +4. I believe this is in the IO section. (press: setup, IO). You'll want to run either OUT1 or out2 thur XLR to house at +4dBu. Cheers!

hi Jimmy welcome! Reaper DAW is awesome and in many ways like the FAS community - full of deep rabbit holes - BUT with equal (or more) amounts of experience, sharing and helpfulness. while i barely scratch the surface on the AxeFX III's capability (the presets are phenomenal), i do use very budget KRK's with a 4 track behringher (that's all an extreme metal dude needs imho :p)...i mention this because the "tweakability" of the FAS stuff is so good, that if/when you do have to get back in the mixing phase (with stellar monitors), its a matter of very fine adjustments via the III (assuming you're reamping) i've also used QSC K10's when in a pinch :p

I'll be joining the Axe FX'ers soon next month as well, got myself a nice guitar Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT, and now I'll have some more money soon. gonna invest in a Axe FX III abd be happy as heck, I will have to practice my ass off this time since last time I owned a guitar I never really did much beyond "noodle" :laughing:

also, as an aside since i'll be getting the Axe Fx III next month, if I buy 2 Xitone 12" active wedges I won't need a power amp since they are active if i understand correct? And will I need an audio interface to record to my PC? Or does the Axe FX III have a built in audio interface?

Welcome!!

Sure to be a very satisfying and thrilling experience for years to come! Any contributions as well!

Yeah, my favorite all time amp is the dual recto with a 4x12 standard cab, but man I had to get rid of all of that stuff because I just love noodling with different sounds so much and the Axe nails any cover I want to do and so many toys in just one unit. Easily the best gear investment I've ever made...NOT TO MENTION the incredible amount of updates that come with it. Look at the a-holes raising the price of the same services for YouTube TV this month, like 12% increase for the same stuff....Fractal Audio you already paid for the Axe 3 years ago and you're getting updates constantly. Incredible customer experience. Couldn't be happier.

Similar story with me. I always wondered how the hell so many youtubers got so great guitar tones while I was having a hard time putting up the mics. With the AxeFX my recorded guitar tone was much clearer and more in the face. Just what I was searching for the whole time.

Welcome Jimmy! Axe FXIII is for sure one hell of a thing! I took the step from Helix to Axe and that step pre-Cygnus Firmware was immense. Now with Cygnus and Dyna Cab the Axe sounds so good it’s ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom