Received Axe-FX III this afternoon... Few questions on Setup!!!

Paul Abell

Hey everyone... Happy to report I received my AFXIII this afternoon... Looks amazing, but I want to hear it!

At this point, I do not know enough about the unit to begin using it as in either the Four-Cable Method or FX Processor Only, as described on pages 27-28 of the manual! This is definitely a major intended purpose for me, but I am eager to try this other ways!

Here is where I need help!

I have an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt (I believe it is) that my studio monitors are hooked up to... It controls all the audio on my MB Pro.

What is the best way for me to hook this up to the computer to get sound through the monitors? Any help would be appreciated! I thought USB would be what I needed to use; maybe I need an XLR out to an XLR in in the Apollo. I tried to change my computer input, but it didn't work... not sure if the USB divide I see is the right one! It didn't say Fractal or Axe-FX.

QUESTION: I can hook up the amp, USB, etc. and switch between them? I would like to have this setup so that I can just change my output, as needed! I am not sure how easy that would be

Also... Several of the presets make no sound through the headphones v others that do... Only using headphones because I do not have any other option at the moment!

If it were me, I would start very simply. Guitar to are 3 to monitors and just play for a while to make sure everything working. Then, connect to the computer USB and get that established. Once that's done you can work in all your other gear. Apparently some of the unis went out with the factory cabs not installed, check to see if that's why your not getting sound

Also... Several of the presets make no sound through the headphones v others that do... Only using headphones because I do not have any other option at the moment!
check the Cab block to see if a cab is loaded.
from the HOME screen, press the LAYOUT button under the screen.
then use NAV to highlight the CAB block.
press the EDIT button.
on the first Tab, near the top, see if there are actual cabs listed - it would a group of 4 names corresponding to the 4 cab slots.

are there cabs listed there like 2x10 ____ or 1x8 ____ etc?

Use the two outs from your axe fx III and run them into your interface. As long as your interface and monitors are on you should get sound. That is how I have it set up through my 6i6. And make sure you actually turn up the output volume on whatever output you are using.

If it were me, I would start very simply. Guitar to are 3 to monitors and just play for a while to make sure everything working. Then, connect to the computer USB and get that established. Once that's done you can work in all your other gear.

I dont have any that I can use other than breaking everything down... I do have one of the Bose towers that my daughter uses for her stuff!

Hey everyone... Happy to report I received my AFXIII this afternoon... Looks amazing, but I want to hear it!

At this point, I do not know enough about the unit to begin using it as in either the Four-Cable Method or FX Processor Only, as described on pages 27-28 of the manual! This is definitely a major intended purpose for me, but I am eager to try this other ways!

Here is where I need help!

I have an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt (I believe it is) that my studio monitors are hooked up to... It controls all the audio on my MB Pro.

What is the best way for me to hook this up to the computer to get sound through the monitors? Any help would be appreciated! I thought USB would be what I needed to use; maybe I need an XLR out to an XLR in in the Apollo. I tried to change my computer input, but it didn't work... not sure if the USB divide I see is the right one! It didn't say Fractal or Axe-FX.

QUESTION: I can hook up the amp, USB, etc. and switch between them? I would like to have this setup so that I can just change my output, as needed! I am not sure how easy that would be
Paul I use UA and Apollo units. What I do is go output 1 (xlr) to inputs 5 and 6 (trs). You can either get a xlr to Trs cable on amazon or planet waves makes a xlr to trs adapter and you can use a regular xlr cable. I set the channels to -10db in the console application.

Paul I use UA and Apollo units. What I do is go output 1 (xlr) to inputs 5 and 6 (trs). You can either get a xlr to Trs cable on amazon or planet waves makes a xlr to trs adapter and you can use a regular xlr cable. I set the channels to -10db in the console application.
Btw output 1 (axe fx) to input on your Apollo’s. If you have the rack model the line inputs are 5-8. I don’t use the xlr inputs on the Apollo because they have mic pre’s and those color the sound. You can turn of the mic pre’s in console but I like to keep those inputs for actual mics and take advantage of the line inputs. If you have a twin unit then you have to use the XLR combo jacks and then go into console and turn off the mic pre’s. Hope this helps.

Btw output 1 (axe fx) to input on your Apollo’s. If you have the rack model the line inputs are 5-8. I don’t use the xlr inputs on the Apollo because they have mic pre’s and those color the sound. You can turn of the mic pre’s in console but I like to keep those inputs for actual mics and take advantage of the line inputs. If you have a twin unit then you have to use the XLR combo jacks and then go into console and turn off the mic pre’s. Hope this helps.

Yes... I have the Apollo Twin!

I have an XLR to TRS cable....

So you are saying if I have a twin, which I do, I Need to send XLR into the back of the twin; open the Apollo Console and turn off the mike preamps?

Use the two outs from your axe fx III and run them into your interface. As long as your interface and monitors are on you should get sound. That is how I have it set up through my 6i6. And make sure you actually turn up the output volume on whatever output you are using.

Thanks... I am def planning on trying this... I just want to get up and running right now! It will take me some time to work all the kinks out, that is for sure!

I can't get anything to work... Not even through a Bose Power speaker...

Will have to try again tomorrow. Nothing works other than the headphones!

check the Cab block to see if a cab is loaded.
from the HOME screen, press the LAYOUT button under the screen.
then use NAV to highlight the CAB block.
press the EDIT button.
on the first Tab, near the top, see if there are actual cabs listed - it would a group of 4 names corresponding to the 4 cab slots.

are there cabs listed there like 2x10 ____ or 1x8 ____ etc?
still curious about this @Paul Abell

At this point, I do not know enough about the unit to begin using it as in either the Four-Cable Method or FX Processor Only
these setups are generally for using with real amps, as mentioned in each entry's description. if you're using them with Studio monitors, you'd use the first example "FRFR/Direct."

Ok... I did get it to work through the Bose speaker, but presets 12 - 16 do not make sound at all; presets 1-11 work; as you move upwards, others have sound and others do not; For instance the Splawn QuickRod doesn't have sound! Very strange...

Back
Top Bottom