Recabinet 2.0 Modern and Vintage - Out Now!

From the Recabinet User guide

"Preface
All of the “cabinets” in Recabinet Vintage 2.0 (with the exception of the Green 4x12) are actually amplifier combos, consisting of tube-based preamps, poweramps, and speakers in a single enclosure. A popular approach to capturing convolution impulse responses of combos is to disconnect the preamp from the poweramp, and run the convolution test tones straight into the poweramp during impulse capture.
Kazrog has discovered, however, that the unique, timeless character of these amps is partially lost using this technique, so we instead ran the test tones straight into the preamp section via the regular guitar input jack, using a Cuniberti Reamp box to match impedance, and we ran any front controls on the combos to have flat EQ and no preamp distortion. For some combos, such as the Zodiac 2x12 and Blackface 4x10, we have included variations of the preamp voicing switches accessible from the front controls to provide more tonal variety.
All Recabinet Vintage IRs were sampled from the amp collection of Grammy Award-winning producer JJ Blair (with the exception of the Top Boost 2x12.) Thanks, JJ!"

Am I correct in thinking these are not speaker IRs at all, looking at this statement they're also capturing the full amp section as well.

Doesn't this effectively render the use of these vintage cabs kind of pointless? I mean they may well sound good but they are not actual IRs of just the speaker cabs.

fandyboy said:
From the Recabinet User guide

Am I correct in thinking these are not speaker IRs at all, looking at this statement they're also capturing the full amp section as well.

Doesn't this effectively render the use of these vintage cabs kind of pointless? I mean they may well sound good but they are not actual IRs of just the speaker cabs.

I've wondered the same thing. I still haven't had the time to try the demo cabs they offer. That would tell much of the story as to whether they sound good with the AXE or not.

joegold said:
I notice that the techniques they use for capturing these IRs always involve a tube power amp and various microphone models.
When obtaining IRs for their "Classic" amp series they also use the amp's preamp evidently.

I'm finding that with the Axe, the various cab Recabinet IRs sound more realistic (to me at least) if I defeat the the Axe's power amp sim.
It seems to me that Recab's impulses are best used with only a preamp or preamp sim in front of them.
I.e. Their IRs are designed to capture the tonal qualities of a 6L6 or EL34 power section as well as the qualities of the speaker cabinet. So running a real tube power section or a power amp sim in front of them gets to be a little bit much. Or at least that's what I think I'm hearing now.

So, I'm wondering if anybody here knows if they also offer any cab IRs obtained with a high quality SS power amp?
Do they have any cab IRs obtained with a reference mic, rather than the mic models they list in their documentation?

If not from Recabinet then do you know of anybody else making cab IRs like that?

Thanks.

Kazrog - Have you guys explored doing some IR's with speaker and SS power amp?

In the Recabinet documentation, it refers to the AxeFX manual for instructions on installing the IRs. In the AxeFX manual it says IRs "may be loaded", but I don't see any instructions on how to do so. Can anyone provide the instructions for trying these out on a Macintosh in an AxeFX? TIA.

Malvolio said:
In the Recabinet documentation, it refers to the AxeFX manual for instructions on installing the IRs. In the AxeFX manual it says IRs "may be loaded", but I don't see any instructions on how to do so. Can anyone provide the instructions for trying these out on a Macintosh in an AxeFX? TIA.

Just set the cab to one of the user settings and upload the IR using Sysex Librarian by dragging the file into the window & hitting the play button. It will load into the active user cab.

I understand the Axe Editor will be able to load IRs as well, but not sure if the current beta version can do it yet.

Back
Top Bottom