Wish reasonable tuner

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Wish List' started by noro, Jul 3, 2017.

1. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

being close to is actually where you want to be. hitting the red when playing at your loudest is what you're aiming for

2. noro

noro
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

So why does it work with other tuners? they kinda seem to foresee the confusion. Despite having a couple of hardware tuners I think that a cheap app like cleartune at least under ios (available for adroid as well) does an amazing job. If u guys know the app u know what I mean. a general trick for mic tuners is to play not at but close to the bridge. Guess the mini mics work better with less boomy output. So the question is why does the tuner not work as "chilly" as this simple tuner. Its even harder if you have sub standard hardware like older fender "tuning heads" to get the right spot because of the jumpyness of th axe.

3. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Because this:

In other words, if you want to make a tuner less jumpy, either make it less accurate or slow down its responsiveness. Or both, if you want a really "stable" tuner.

4. steadystate

steadystate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

The "other tuners" of which you speak are slower and less accurate. They analyze a longer time window and average the frequency over this window. That, along with other design decisions, makes the display appear more stable, but provides a slower and less accurate result. With a needle tuner, or some cheap physical strobe tuners, the inertia or magnetic characteristics of the display mechanism add to the effect. You could theoretically design a tuner to show a stable note when the actual input frequency was all over the place. Looks nice, but that's about it.

Stability and accuracy in a slow cheap tuner are an illusion. The designer must make a decision as to speed/accuracy vs the appearance of stability/accuracy. I think the Axe rides the line perfectly.

JOHNNYROCKIT, h.c.e. and Rex like this.
  5. #45 Bodde, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Bodde

Bodde
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Good point. But in general I prefer a little less accurate tuner over a jumpy tuner. I hate tuners that can't settle and jump all over the place.

I have the Cleartune app but I find that one jumpy as well. It reacts to everything outside, even your voice. So you have to tune in a really quiet place. Also it can't handle the E and A strings of a bass very well.

6. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

You can fix this by adjusting the input signal, as mentioned in this thread. In short:

- hit the string with your thumb and don't hit it too hard
    - use neck pickup
    - roll down Tone

This helps the tuner to focus on the fundamental note.

noro and ATR1 like this.
  7. Stringmanipulator

Stringmanipulator
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

edit: sorry Yek I missed your reply :)

Use the middle pickup if you have HSH ... and back the tone treble knob on your guitar to zero ..
    usually helps to stabilize any tuner .. :)

noro likes this.
  8. noro

noro
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Hey this actually helped a little and may keep me from using an additional tuner.
    But still...I'd trade a neglegable amount of accuracy for quicker use