Reason #16547362 why the AxeFX II is the best rig out there for the working musician

RoshRoslin

Power User
Hey all,
Just wanted to pass along my experience on a gig last night and again why the AxeFX will always keep the show going no matter what. A little about me, I'm a full-time working musician in the LA area, worked with names big and small. I have a steady Thursday night gig at a comedy club that is a two set cover/live karaoke band thing. Just wanted to share that the AxeFX will cover you no matter what no matter how many things go wrong on the gig.

My rig is a 2x12 Port City cab with scumback M75s, Matrix Gt800fx and an AxeFX II. On load in last night, I noticed a little "wobbliness" inside the port city cab. Got everything set up, Power to the rack, speaker cable to to the cab, ethercon to my MFC 101. Power everything up and do the ol' "strum a couple chords".

No sound.

Check my input level, Ticking green in the front input of the axefx. Check power and cables, everything is seated properly. Turn up power to the matrix and see the input lights receiving input. Still no sound. Switch guitar cable, speaker cable and small right angle cable in rack (from AxeFX to Matrix) and switch them all out with backups. Still receiving input, but no sound. Check bypass, check tuner mute. Reboot AxeFx with MFC disconnected. Check grid for any weird volume pedal blocks. No culprits found. Volume pedal is responding as normal.

Still no sound. I now have 20 minutes before downbeat and I'm starting to sweat.

Reach through the port of my cab and feel the speaker "give" a little and pull out a screwdriver out of my gig bag and get to work. Open up my cab and 14 screws later...there it is. One of the speaker leads is disconnected.

Crap.

I don't have a soldering iron on me and the clips are unfortunately not alligator clips. I say "screw it" grab an XLR and decide to go straight to the desk. Tell the FOH guy to send me some guitar to a wedge and the FOH sound will be sent to speakers flown above the stage. I'm going direct (This particular gig is 80-90% stage sound with the soundman blending in a little guitar, bass, kick and snare...usually mic'ed). Unfortunately, this particular board only has 1 Aux out. Meaning ALL the wedges on stage share the same mix. Obviously the drummer, bassist or singer doesn't want blaring guitar in his wedge. Oh, did I mention the wedges are "American Music" Wedges ? They have the headroom of a $20 computer speaker and sound about the same.

We soundcheck quietly as to not disturb the show next door and, of course, the band requests less guitar in the overall mix. I can't hear my guitar and now we're 5 minutes till downbeat. The club is about to open up and let a flood of people in. We share the stage with a comedy club and once the comedy show ends, all the guests and patrons are invited to go next door for a drink and we're the entertainment for the rest of the evening.

At this point, I would go to IEM with a body pack, but this had to be the week I loaned my body pack and receiver to a friend of mine. I usually have one built into the back of my rack. I take a pair of in ears (JH Audio 16s) out of my gig bag and plug into a cable I've built that goes from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch. Wrap the cable together with my guitar and plug straight into the headphones jack.

I now have my guitar sound. One molded JH audio Can in my right ear. A Standard earplug in my left. I am now a happy camper. I can hear my guitar sound, my band isn't overwhelmed by a guitar heavy mix in their wedges and I have a relatively low-volume stage and the soundman is happy. The rest of the gig goes off without a hitch. Great crowd, great sound and some regulars commented on how much "fuller" my guitar tone sounds.

Phew. There's always a solution to get your guitar out there. Always have a backup plan.

Big thanks to fractal and the AxeFX for never letting me down.

Those who don't gig don't truly understand these "oh no!" moments. Glad you figured out a solution that worked, and glad the axe provides the opportunity!

Isn't it nice to know that you have backup options in your primary rig?, I would have thought that this might have been an Ah ha moment for you going direct.

Last edited:
Great story.

That you knew the unit back and forth is something every gigging musician should note. Flexible for every emergency. And a happy ending!

G'day RoshRoslin,
Are you sure you are a guitarist? A real guitarist would never have so many spare cables and backup plans! :p

Pauly

Hey all,
Just wanted to pass along my experience on a gig last night and again why the AxeFX will always keep the show going no matter what. A little about me, I'm a full-time working musician in the LA area, worked with names big and small. I have a steady Thursday night gig at a comedy club that is a two set cover/live karaoke band thing. Just wanted to share that the AxeFX will cover you no matter what no matter how many things go wrong on the gig.

My rig is a 2x12 Port City cab with scumback M75s, Matrix Gt800fx and an AxeFX II. On load in last night, I noticed a little "wobbliness" inside the port city cab. Got everything set up, Power to the rack, speaker cable to to the cab, ethercon to my MFC 101. Power everything up and do the ol' "strum a couple chords".

No sound.

Check my input level, Ticking green in the front input of the axefx. Check power and cables, everything is seated properly. Turn up power to the matrix and see the input lights receiving input. Still no sound. Switch guitar cable, speaker cable and small right angle cable in rack (from AxeFX to Matrix) and switch them all out with backups. Still receiving input, but no sound. Check bypass, check tuner mute. Reboot AxeFx with MFC disconnected. Check grid for any weird volume pedal blocks. No culprits found. Volume pedal is responding as normal.

Still no sound. I now have 20 minutes before downbeat and I'm starting to sweat.

Reach through the port of my cab and feel the speaker "give" a little and pull out a screwdriver out of my gig bag and get to work. Open up my cab and 14 screws later...there it is. One of the speaker leads is disconnected.

Crap.

I don't have a soldering iron on me and the clips are unfortunately not alligator clips. I say "screw it" grab an XLR and decide to go straight to the desk. Tell the FOH guy to send me some guitar to a wedge and the FOH sound will be sent to speakers flown above the stage. I'm going direct (This particular gig is 80-90% stage sound with the soundman blending in a little guitar, bass, kick and snare...usually mic'ed). Unfortunately, this particular board only has 1 Aux out. Meaning ALL the wedges on stage share the same mix. Obviously the drummer, bassist or singer doesn't want blaring guitar in his wedge. Oh, did I mention the wedges are "American Music" Wedges ? They have the headroom of a $20 computer speaker and sound about the same.

We soundcheck quietly as to not disturb the show next door and, of course, the band requests less guitar in the overall mix. I can't hear my guitar and now we're 5 minutes till downbeat. The club is about to open up and let a flood of people in. We share the stage with a comedy club and once the comedy show ends, all the guests and patrons are invited to go next door for a drink and we're the entertainment for the rest of the evening.

At this point, I would go to IEM with a body pack, but this had to be the week I loaned my body pack and receiver to a friend of mine. I usually have one built into the back of my rack. I take a pair of in ears (JH Audio 16s) out of my gig bag and plug into a cable I've built that goes from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch. Wrap the cable together with my guitar and plug straight into the headphones jack.

I now have my guitar sound. One molded JH audio Can in my right ear. A Standard earplug in my left. I am now a happy camper. I can hear my guitar sound, my band isn't overwhelmed by a guitar heavy mix in their wedges and I have a relatively low-volume stage and the soundman is happy. The rest of the gig goes off without a hitch. Great crowd, great sound and some regulars commented on how much "fuller" my guitar tone sounds.

Phew. There's always a solution to get your guitar out there. Always have a backup plan.

Big thanks to fractal and the AxeFX for never letting me down.

and that's the last day you used a regular cab...

seriously ask you back if he prefer go direct or lift a cab ?

Wow, kudos on keeping your head cool on that! I remember the days before my Axe-Fx and my custom pedalboard deciding to loose an internal soldered connection 5 minutes before we play, this happened countless times and normally ended up cutting out that particular pedal just to get things working. Love the Axe-Fx as I don't have to worry about wiring or cabling going wrong!! :)

I swear... At least once a month I have this exact situation. It's simply because I'm an airhead at times and forget that ONE cable when I go from gig to gig. I guess I'll just have to get a duplicate rig!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind comments. Over the years ice just accumulated my experiences to carry my disaster bag. It's GruVgear bag with extra cables, picks, tools, a couple pedals including a 44 caliber and a backup of pretty much anything that could go wrong on a gig. Goes to every stage with me anywhere. Lives in the trunk of my car.

G'day again,

Time to put a soldering iron in the bag! :)

Pauly

Thanks for the kind comments. Over the years ice just accumulated my experiences to carry my disaster bag. It's GruVgear bag with extra cables, picks, tools, a couple pedals including a 44 caliber and a backup of pretty much anything that could go wrong on a gig. Goes to every stage with me anywhere. Lives in the trunk of my car.

Wtf, even chinese 50$ mixers have more than one Aux Send...

Are you sure the sound guy wasn't just lazy as fuck? ;)

And yeah, having cans and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter in your "gig emergency bag" is always a good idea.

Actually... I prefer playing with cans all the time. More comfortable than in-ears, better isolation, less hearing fatigue and a lot cheaper than custom-mold in-ears (= easier replacement).
However, it looks stupid wearing cans on stage, unless you have enough hipster cred to back it up.

Reactions: spv
Idk if it's just me but if the rest of your band knew your cab was out of commission in a way that was totally out of your control and STILL would rather have you low in the monitors...idk just seems a bit selfish to me. But still this is definitely a lesson in preparedness for sure, glad it worked out for you!

Cool story -- reminds me to stuff even more things into my 'emergency backpack' I bring along to gigs.

I have lived this night myself....And.... THIS is why my rig is built like it is. I could get away with a little 3 space rack bag I supposed, but I have many redundant systems in case anything goes wrong, or if I want to change my setup on the fly.

For starters, I have a line mixer in my rack and bring my 2 CLR's with me, as well as my IEM. I send my FOH feed via the 1/4" jacks on out one (via a DI box that converts to XLR) and then feed my line mixer from the XLR's also from Out 1.

Out 2 is dedicated (via FX send) to send to an Amp/Cab setup should I ever want to (or in case I need to.) The line mixer allows me to adjust my CLR volume independent of FOH (Out one set at noon, never touch it) and allows me to set my own vox/guitar mix in my monitor. IEM is fed from FOH, so the engineer sends me that mix. I have all 3 options on tap at all times (provided I bring a cab/power amp). At min, I always have my CLR/IEM combo. Mostly the CLR is for feel and feedback, but sometimes I like to yank the earbuds and just go with those.

I have a pretty robust tool kit/spares kit I bring too. The one thing I just can't spring for (yet) is a spare AXE FX. I have a GSP Digitech 1101 that would get me by. I don't program all my sounds in it either, although I need to, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom