Rear input getting a lot of hum using balanced cables

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I'm still trying to work out a good analog re-amp method. I will admit that I get a lot of EMI in my house, but using balanced cables has always worked to eliminate that. The humbuster output on the 2nd output even works extremely well so I don't think that it is overwhelming amounts of EMI or RF floating around. Certainly not enough to defeat balanced audio's noise rejection capabilities.

But I'm going from my interface into the AxeFXII's rear input and its just constant hiss. This is with nothing playing out of the DAW to the AxeFXII. Its also there mixed in with the audio when I play a dry recorded track to feed the rear input. I've made 2 cables (only using one since it's a mono source, both with good quality Belden audio cable) and I've tried both with ground and ground lifted (in the cable itself). If I disconnect it from the audio interface and leave it hanging there connected to the AxeFXII it is ridiculously loud as if it was a guitar cable by itself. I tried an unbalanced instrument cable and it's actually about 5dB lower in noise, but its a higher pitched noise where as the balanced signal interference almost sounds like tape hiss.

And no I didn't get these confused or mixed and I know the difference between balanced and unbalanced signals. The audio interface isn't the problem because I am feeding a set of monitors from another set of outputs and they are absolutely silent. I'm wondering if there isn't a chance that there is some mix up possible where something isn't mixed up on the input jack to header connection or something. I also muted the output of the audio interface feeding the rear input and it still has that same exact hum; it's picking it up from the cable.

This is using the rear jack, balanced (ground lifted on the cable itself). A few seconds with it connected and then just the cable connected to the rear jack (no source).

This is using the front jack, connected to the guitar for a few seconds and then disconnected from the guitar. Sounds like it should.

This is using the rear jack, unbalanced for a few seconds and then disconnected from the source. Sounds very similar to the front jack which makes some sense to me.

What I don't get is why would I have MORE hum going balanced than unbalanced. I understand the noise from the unbalanced cable, that is to be expected, but the hiss is just weird.

Back
Top Bottom