Reaper to Axe-Fx III

You need to add the INPUT USB block and then route it to both the OUTPUT3 & OUTPUT4 blocks. That's it. Any track(s) in Reaper that are routed to Computer Outs 7+8 will go to the INPUT USB block on the grid. If that block doesn't exist on the grid or goes to no OUTPUT block, you will get nothing.

If you post a screenshot of your Axe-Edit preset, I can help verify if you are doing this properly. For reference, see an example of mine below.

View attachment 64341

Here is what is going on in Axe-Edit, red being the important part for you:
  • IN 1 (guitar) > OUT 1 (front of house) & OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 2 (bass) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 3 (drum mix) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 4 (vocals) > OUT 3 (front of house, no longer used) & OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN USB [COMPUTER OUTPUTS 7+8] (back tracks + click tracks) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • [hardwired from COMPUTER OUTPUTS 3+4] (back tracks) > OUT 2 (front of house)
That clears it up! Thank you. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that for every preset. Seems like physical output 3 and 4 should just be accessible from reaper without going through the preset.

So output 3 is the backing track and output 4 to drummer?
Computer Outputs 3+4 is hardwired to Output 2.

Computer Outputs 7+8 is hardwired to Axe-FX block IN USB. This can go to ANY OUTPUT.

You basically have to decide where you want things to route from. In my case OUT 1 is (guitar) and goes FOH. OUT 2 is (back tracks) and goes FOH. OUT 3 is not used. OUT 4 is (back tracks + click) and goes to my Wireless IEM unit.

I choose OUT1 for guitar because XLR and because I like IN 1 going to OUT 1 (lol). I sent back tracks to OUT 2 because it's the only remaining XLR pair. Venues tend to want XLR so this just makes it easier.

This does have to be done in every preset for it to work the way you desire. For me this is fine as I have done this since pretty much day 1 of owning the Axe-FX. I just copy/paste my main preset and then reconfigure it as necessary. Once you get the hang of it it's a 10 second process to build form scratch.

Computer Outputs 3+4 is hardwired to Output 2.

Computer Outputs 7+8 is hardwired to Axe-FX block IN USB. This can go to ANY OUTPUT.

You basically have to decide where you want things to route from. In my case OUT 1 is (guitar) and goes FOH. OUT 2 is (back tracks) and goes FOH. OUT 3 is not used. OUT 4 is (back tracks + click) and goes to my Wireless IEM unit.

I choose OUT1 for guitar because XLR and because I like IN 1 going to OUT 1 (lol). I sent back tracks to OUT 2 because it's the only remaining XLR pair. Venues tend to want XLR so this just makes it easier.

This does have to be done in every preset for it to work the way you desire. For me this is fine as I have done this since pretty much day 1 of owning the Axe-FX. I just copy/paste my main preset and then reconfigure it as necessary. Once you get the hang of it it's a 10 second process to build form scratch.
Above is how it is configured.
I have USB block assigned to all patches where I will have tracks playing.

Above is how it is configured.
I have USB block assigned to all patches where I will have tracks playing.
Is there a way to combine a series of grid blocks and use them in other presets? Like saving the usb - > output 4 in a 1 block container? That could be useful if you have a combination of things you like and reuse a lot.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a way to combine a series of grid blocks and use them in other presets? Like saving the usb - > output 4 in a 1 block container? That could be useful if you have a combination of things you like and reuse a lot.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not that I know of.
Others may chime in with ideas.

Could save a preset with your basic setup (with inputs + outputs configured as you want) and just copy to a new preset when you want to build a new preset.

Doesn't really help on old presets though

Back
Top Bottom