Reaper to Axe-Fx III

slinky005

Power User
Trying to feed audio thru USB to Axe III.
All working if I send audio to USB 1-2
Set it up in Reaper to go to UBS 3-4
Showing up on the meters in the Axe but no audio,
Something need to be setup on the grid?

What I'm trying to do is get the USB audio to go to outputs 3-4 while guitar is going to 1-2.
Does it matter where the USB audio is coming in?

Last edited:
Which physical output jacks do you want the USB audio to go to?

The Axe has stereo output pairs numbered from 1 to 4.

If you send audio from Reaper on USB channels 7/8 you can route this from the USB IN block to any combination of output blocks.
So with the help from the kind Fractal community I have the audio going out of outputs 3 -4.
Now I need to be able to send a second set of tracks from Reaper to Axe output 5-6.
Is this possible?
The idea is to be able to play stereo tracks at a gig with a click track, all coming from the Axe along with stereo guitar.

USB 1/2 goes to Axe Output 1 L/R.

USB 3/4 goes to Axe Output 2 L/R.

USB 7/8 goes to USB In block. This can be routed to any combination of output blocks on the grid.

Send audio on USB channels 7/8 and you can route it to the Out 3 block. I assume by "output 5-6" you mean Output 3 L/R.

USB 1/2 goes to Axe Output 1 L/R.

USB 3/4 goes to Axe Output 2 L/R.

USB 7/8 goes to USB In block. This can be routed to any combination of output blocks on the grid.

Send audio on USB channels 7/8 and you can route it to the Out 3 block. I assume by "output 5-6" you mean Output 3 L/R.
Appreciate the help.
Is there a way to bypass the "hardwired" status of a USB input?
I've got a stereo track going into the USB block and assigning to out 4 only - all good.

My problem is that it goes out of output 2 as well.
It is only assigned to the single output in Reaper.
If I turn down the USB input level on output 2 (3/4) ithe Axe, then I'm ok.
Obviously when I do this output 2 (3/4) is now useless.

reaper.png

Last edited:
Trying to get audio from Reaper to go out of outputs 5-6 and 7-8.
Is this possible?
Using the USB block I can get it to work with one pair or the other but can't figure out how to get audio to go out of both simultaneously using USB block for one pair and non USB for another.

Last edited:
Trying to get audio from Reaper to go out of outputs 5-6 and 7-8.
Is this possible?
Using the USB block I can get it to work with one pair or the other but can't figure out how to get audio to go out of both simultaneously using USB block for one pair and non USB for another.
You can probably do this, but you have to set “input 1 to usb” in the Axe, per the manual, page 25.(this would give you Outs 5and 6 to input block 1)

You can probably do this, but you have to set “input 1 to usb” in the Axe, per the manual, page 25.(this would give you Outs 5and 6 to input block 1)
I have to say this part of the manual baffles me.
Just want to mention that I am using input one for guitar while I want to play tracks going out of the other outs.

I route Stereo Guitar out of Output 1, Stereo Backtracks to Output 2 (hardwired), Vocals to Output 3, and everything + clicks to Output 4 (to IEMs). This is all from memory, but should work.

Guitars (Hardware Stereo Outputs 1 & 4)
  • front or back hardware input (Input 1)
  • Input 1 block on grid > guitar chain > output 1 (foh) & output 4 (iems)
Stereo Backing tracks (Hardware Stereo Ouputs 2 & 4)
  • computer hooked up via usb
  • disable master send (otherwise it goes to output 1)
  • use hardwired computer outputs 3/4 to go directly to hardware stereo output 2
IEM mix (Hardware Stereo Output 4)
  • use computer outputs 7/8 to route clicks + cues + backtracks to the input USB grid block
  • disable master sends (otherwise it goes to output 1)
  • route all input grid blocks to Output grid block 4

Study and make sure you understand everything on Page 19 in the manual.

I think there are a total of 3 different ways to route usb audio. Master Send stuff goes to Output 1. I believe hardwired outputs can go to either stereo outs 1 or 2, there is a setting in the menus that I am not sure is referenced in the manual---but for backing tracks it makes most sense for this to go to 2. Then the Computer Outputs 7/8 can go through the grid via Input USB block.

I route Stereo Guitar out of Output 1, Stereo Backtracks to Output 2 (hardwired), Vocals to Output 3, and everything + clicks to Output 4 (to IEMs). This is all from memory, but should work.

Guitars (Hardware Stereo Outputs 1 & 4)
  • front or back hardware input (Input 1)
  • Input 1 block on grid > guitar chain > output 1 (foh) & output 4 (iems)
Stereo Backing tracks (Hardware Stereo Ouputs 2 & 4)
  • computer hooked up via usb
  • disable master send (otherwise it goes to output 1)
  • use hardwired computer outputs 3/4 to go directly to hardware stereo output 2
IEM mix (Hardware Stereo Output 4)
  • use computer outputs 7/8 to route clicks + cues + backtracks to the input USB grid block
  • disable master sends (otherwise it goes to output 1)
  • route all input grid blocks to Output grid block 4

Study and make sure you understand everything on Page 19 in the manual.

I think there are a total of 3 different ways to route usb audio. Master Send stuff goes to Output 1. I believe hardwired outputs can go to either stereo outs 1 or 2, there is a setting in the menus that I am not sure is referenced in the manual---but for backing tracks it makes most sense for this to go to 2. Then the Computer Outputs 7/8 can go through the grid via Input USB block.
All great info except it doesn't adress my desire to use outs 5-6
Ideally I want to route my tracks thru 5-6 and click on 7 because my snake (patch) is 1/4" going to the patch bay.
This is why I'm trying to find out if I can do it this way.
If it's not possible I can rig it to use output 3 - 4 but I'll have a mix of 1/4" and XLR going to the patch bay, trying to avoid this.

Last edited:
By default here is how the USB outputs work
  • USB Out 1/2 ----> Hardware Output 1 (switchable to 2)
  • USB Out 3/4 ----> Hardware Output 2 (switchable to 1)
  • USB Out 5/6 ----> Input 1 Grid Block (this is typically used for reamping)
  • USB Out 7/8 ----> Input USB Grid Block
So it makes the most sense to use USB Out 3/4 for backtracks because presumably you are running pre-processed audio tracks and thus don't need to go through the grid. This goes to either Output 1 or 2 (depending on your settings).

Click makes the most sense to go to USB Out 7/8 because most people use Input 1 for guitar and/or reamping (thus making USB Out 5/6 less optimal for this). You can send USB Out 7/8 (via the INPUT USB block on the grid) to whatever hardware output you want.

So unless Hardware Outputs pairs 1 & 2 are tied up and absolutely can't move to pairs 3 & 4, I don't know why you would do anything differently.

If you absolutely must use USB Out 5/6 (aka Input 1 Grid Block), this is what you'd have to do:
  • Use any of the other Hardware Inputs for guitar (not Input 1)
    • Use the grid to route this Hardware Input's IN # block through your guitar chain and to whatever output you desire
  • USB Output 5/6 is hard wired to the Input 1 Grid Block (this is why we can't use it for guitar)
    • Use the grid to route IN 1 block to whatever output you want
  • USB Output 7/8 is hardwired to the Input USB Grid Block
    • Use the grid to route IN USB block to whatever output you want

Last edited:
Hey guys. I am trying to do something very similar but can't get it working. I am not sure what I am missing. I do want to be able to output from reaper to output 3 and 4. Just working on 4 right now.
I seem to have it set up as outlined in this thread, but still nothing out of the axe fx.
Right not this is just a simple click track. To avoid the confusion in a larger mix.
I am using windows 10, axe fx connected straight to computer using the usb cable.
I tried the two different output 7 and 8s in the matrix just to see, but nothing from either, or any combination. I imagine I am missing something pretty simple. I could output this to output 2, but I think I should be able to use 3 and/or 4 and want to figure it out.
I should add that I am using the fractal as the pc output running my studio monitors on ouput 1. I'm not sure if that interferes.

routingmatrix.png

sendrtclickmenu.png

Last edited:
A question for the OP: Is the main necessity for this because you're using the AxeFX as your interface and therefore have your DAW monitors connected to it?

Thanks!
Dave

Hey guys. I am trying to do something very similar but can't get it working. I am not sure what I am missing. I do want to be able to output from reaper to output 3 and 4. Just working on 4 right now.
I seem to have it set up as outlined in this thread, but still nothing out of the axe fx.
Right not this is just a simple click track. To avoid the confusion in a larger mix.
I am using windows 10, axe fx connected straight to computer using the usb cable.
I tried the two different output 7 and 8s in the matrix just to see, but nothing from either, or any combination. I imagine I am missing something pretty simple. I could output this to output 2, but I think I should be able to use 3 and/or 4 and want to figure it out.
I should add that I am using the fractal as the pc output running my studio monitors on ouput 1. I'm not sure if that interferes.

View attachment 64268

View attachment 64269
You need to add the INPUT USB block and then route it to both the OUTPUT3 & OUTPUT4 blocks. That's it. Any track(s) in Reaper that are routed to Computer Outs 7+8 will go to the INPUT USB block on the grid. If that block doesn't exist on the grid or goes to no OUTPUT block, you will get nothing.

If you post a screenshot of your Axe-Edit preset, I can help verify if you are doing this properly. For reference, see an example of mine below.

1582778091900.png

Here is what is going on in Axe-Edit, red being the important part for you:
  • IN 1 (guitar) > OUT 1 (front of house) & OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 2 (bass) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 3 (drum mix) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN 4 (vocals) > OUT 3 (front of house, no longer used) & OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • IN USB [COMPUTER OUTPUTS 7+8] (back tracks + click tracks) > OUT 4 (in ear monitors)
  • [hardwired from COMPUTER OUTPUTS 3+4] (back tracks) > OUT 2 (front of house)

A question for the OP: Is the main necessity for this because you're using the AxeFX as your interface and therefore have your DAW monitors connected to it?

Thanks!
Dave
It is to play tracks live on stage while sending a click to the drummer.

Back
Top Bottom