Reamping

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I just tried reamping for the first time with the Axe FXIII and Digital Performer 11. It worked great and was pretty easy to do following the instructions in the current manual.

I have a question for you guys who use this all the time. If you record a song and change scenes in the Axe FXIII several times, and maybe use the wah, or turn on a drive, or delay at different times in the song, will those scene changes and effects you turned on and off be there in the reamped track if you reamp, or will you have to make sure you change scenes and turn on and off effects during the reamping recording process?

whatever state the axe-fx preset is in while you are recording is how the recording will be

the only way scenes or anything will automatically change while recording is if you trigger the changes with midi sends from your DAW. you can use expression pedals + switches to manually change things while the reamp is going

I have never re-amped a track before, but my understanding is that the dry track is a DI and will have none of the scene changes or effects. You would have to initiate all scene changes and manual effects each time you re-record.

The Axe II had MIDI USB Adapter Mode, that let you capture incoming MIDI data from the MFC-101 or other MIDI controller as a MIDI track in your DAW. You could then replay that MIDI data during reamping to recreate things like scene changes and expression pedal movements.

The FC controllers used with the Axe III and FM3 are not MIDI controllers, so their input data cannot currently be captured the same way. As is, there is currently no way to capture those events in the Axe III or FM3, unless you use a 3rd party MIDI controller for your expression pedals and switches.

I have a question for you guys who use this all the time. If you record a song and change scenes in the Axe FXIII several times, and maybe use the wah, or turn on a drive, or delay at different times in the song, will those scene changes and effects you turned on and off be there in the reamped track if you reamp, or will you have to make sure you change scenes and turn on and off effects during the reamping recording process?
Yes, they can be recorded. The trick is to use a midi controller instead of an FC.

Thanks for the replies! So the only way to change scenes or effects changes when reamping is by using a midi controller instead of an FC, or by manually switch things while the ramp is going on. Now I know.

If I had known this when I bought the FC-12 I would have definitely considered getting the more expensive Mastermind midi controller instead. It might be worth it for anyone doing a lot of reamping. I've been happy with the FC-12 though.

Having never reamped before, it is a really useful tool. From now on I will record a direct track along with the guitar track, just in case I decide I want to change the sound later. Great having that option.

I manually change scenes with an FC-12 when reamping.

Works like a charm. The "rock" demos on my site are evidence of this. When the lead comes in, I switch to a different scene that engaged a drive block.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! So the only way to change scenes or effects changes when reamping is by using a midi controller instead of an FC, or by manually switch things while the ramp is going on. Now I know.

The FC can tell the FX3 to send midi to you computer that can be recorded by your DAW. The DAW can then send those midi commands back to the FX3 during re-amping.

However, this CANNOT be done over the regular FX3 USB cable. You will need a "midi to usb" cable and plug the midi side into the back of the FX3 midi in & out and the usb side into your computer.

The FC can tell the FX3 to send midi to you computer that can be recorded by your DAW. The DAW can then send those midi commands back to the FX3 during re-amping.

However, this CANNOT be done over the regular FX3 USB cable. You will need a "midi to usb" cable and plug the midi side into the back of the FX3 midi in & out and the usb side into your computer.
Great to know! Can you give more details. Maybe someone on the forum could do a video showing exactly how to do this?

Great to know! Can you give more details. Maybe someone on the forum could do a video showing exactly how to do this?

I agree a write up or video would be really nice, I would think one exists given how old the FX3 is, but I've never looked. It isn't super obvious how to do this.

To get you started I would suggest reading up on the following items in the FX3 Owner's Manual

MIDI Ports - pg. 21
Program Change Mapping - pg. 47
The MIDI/Remove Menu - pg. 73 - 76
Sending MIDI - pg. 96 - 97

If I get some time, I'll try and make a walk through.

Thanks! I found this Roland UM-ONE-MK2-MIDI cable. Would this cable work for what you are talking about?

Amazon product ASIN B00967UN50

You're suggesting using control switches and midi payloads? That could work for turning effects on and off, but might be tedious to program the control switches and the corresponding midi on the AxeFX so they playback correctly. But the OP is asking for wah control playback during reamping. Are you sure it's possible to record expression pedal movement from an FC?

You're suggesting using control switches and midi payloads? That could work for turning effects on and off, but might be tedious to program the control switches and the corresponding midi on the AxeFX so they playback correctly. But the OP is asking for wah control playback during reamping. Are you sure it's possible to record expression pedal movement from an FC?

ah, missed that part about the wah. I do not know how to record the wah expression values. That may or may not be possible.

Back
Top Bottom