Reamping...

andersen

Inspired
Quick question guys:

I want to reamp with my real 5150III and cab old school style.
To do this i know i can use the Axe Fx 2 for recording DI... BUT - can the Axe Fx 2 work as a reamp box in som way? I know i can reamp WITH the axe and its sounds, but i want it to reamp the real amp instead. Can it be done? And if yes; will any friendly soul be kind enough to walk me through the signal chain for such a setup?

Andersen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, I'm almost certain that the answer is no. The analog outputs of the Axe-Fx produce a signal that is line level. You're gonna need an additional piece of hardware to knock it back down to instrument level for going into the input of your 5150III. Something like this will do the trick. (Radial is not the only company that makes a device like this, so this is just one option.) Hope this helps!

Radial ProRMPâ„¢ - Re-Amping Box

Can't you just reduce the output of the axe or whatever is feeding the real amp so it doesn't overdrive its input?

You could try that, although I don't know if you could get the signal "cool" enough for the amp's input. You could potentially pick up quite a bit of noise along the way too, as you're going from a balanced output (interface) into an unbalanced input (amp). If I get a moment this week sometime, I'll try this scenario out down at the studio and see what the results are. I'm still leaning heavily towards not being able to get the signal low enough for the amp while maintaining good SNR, and not picking up noise (hum) in the signal along the way though. It is for these reasons that when I re-amp with the Axe-Fx, I send the signal out from my interface (line level output) into input 2 on the back of the Axe-Fx. Because that input expects to see line level. The only thing you're giving up there is Cliff's secret sauce on the instrument level input. (Front input) And there IS a difference, but it's not a Peavey Bandit compared to a Marshall JCM800 stack kind of difference. Feel free to try it out and see what you find. As I said, if I can find the time, I'll do the same and let you know the results. Cheers!

i think people overestimate the amount of "noise" that unbalanced connections might have. for me, it's usually zero noise.

wow very technical huh?... i might go for the radial old school solution... Funny though that the signal may be to loud, cause when i record with the axe and i also capture the di signal via input 3 in my daw, the waveform for the di is so low i can only see tiny tiny peaks of waveform...

Back
Top Bottom