Reamping with no latency?

ConnorGilks

Experienced
I've got my AxeFX II setup for me to reamp easily, but there's quite a bit of latency so I can't actually tweak my tones while the entire mix is playing. I'm reamping in an "analog" setup, with the DI going out of my interface into the back of the AxeFX, and that goes to the front of my interface over XLR to 1/4''.

NOTE: I cannot reamp over USB, I've got too few USB ports right now.

Thanks!

Does your interface have SPDIF ports? That might help some, if you can remove unnecessary A/D conversion

What are the latency settings of your interface / asio drivers

Does your interface have SPDIF ports? That might help some, if you can remove unnecessary A/D conversion

What are the latency settings of your interface / asio drivers

It does, but I don't have any cables for that right now. Plus I'd like to learn how to minimize latency with my current set up, if only for the sake of just learning.

I'm using a Tascam US-1800, what settings do you want exactly? I've tried different buffer settings etc. in my DAW with no real luck.

The limiting factor with latency in this situation is the audio interface. High end interfaces have very low latency response, as does the Axe-Fx. Sometimes interfaces will have special low latency drivers (as an alternative to class-compliant operation).

You need to make your playback buffer as small as possible. Too small, and you will hear pops and crackles. There aren't really many other adjustments to be made unless Tascam provides a low latency driver.

You should try using the Axe-Fx USB interface for reamping at least once, just to see if the described latency is improved or eliminated. If it is, then you've isolated the issue to the Tascam and/or the Tascam drivers.

The limiting factor with latency in this situation is the audio interface. High end interfaces have very low latency response, as does the Axe-Fx. Sometimes interfaces will have special low latency drivers (as an alternative to class-compliant operation).

You need to make your playback buffer as small as possible. Too small, and you will hear pops and crackles. There aren't really many other adjustments to be made unless Tascam provides a low latency driver.

You should try using the Axe-Fx USB interface for reamping at least once, just to see if the described latency is improved or eliminated. If it is, then you've isolated the issue to the Tascam and/or the Tascam drivers.

Exactly, it's not the Axe-Fx that's the problem, it's your interface.

You might have better luck if you remove any high latency plugins from the reamp session too, this has caused issues for me in the past. Stuff like linear phase EQs or Limiters with look-ahead etc. You could just print the backing track to a new session and reamp in there as well.

You might have better luck if you remove any high latency plugins from the reamp session too, this has caused issues for me in the past.

Good advice. Most DAWs will allow you to freeze tracks on an individual basis. Some, like Cubase, provide a single button to bypass all inserts/effects (called Constrain Delay Compensation in Cubase). Of course, if you don't have any CPU intensive effects going on then this will have no effect, but always good to know about if you have to re-track a part once final mastering tools are in place and active.

I'll probably just go the new interface route. I noticed the Focusrite Scarlett stuff has some internal routing options that let you reamp in real time with the mix, zero latency. Less fuss, and I need a new interface as it is anyways, haha.

Last edited:
I'll probably just go the new interface route. I noticed the Focusrite Scarlett stuff has some internal routing options that let you reamp in real time with the mix, zero latency. Less fuss, and I need a new interface as it is anyways, haha.

I wrote a tutorial for reamping with the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. The link is in the Wiki http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

I use 2 Hosa DRA-503 S/PDIF Coax cables.

The only issue some people have with the Focusrite USB interfaces, is that they get ground loop noise. I only have issues when I record using the 1/4" or XLR inputs but I only use it for reamping with SPDIF and for the MIDI ports and it doesn't have issues when using SPDIF.

I wrote a tutorial for reamping with the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. The link is in the Wiki http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

I use 2 Hosa DRA-503 S/PDIF Coax cables.

The only issue some people have with the Focusrite USB interfaces, is that they get ground loop noise. I only have issues when I record using the 1/4" or XLR inputs but I only use it for reamping with SPDIF and for the MIDI ports and it doesn't have issues when using SPDIF.

Bummer. Maybe I should buy a different interface, and just buy another USB hub for AxeFX II reamping?

Bummer. Maybe I should buy a different interface, and just buy another USB hub for AxeFX II reamping?

You should buy 2 Hosa DRA-503 S/PDIF Coax cables and use the interface you currently have. Also most USB audio interfaces are not stable when used on a USB hub.

If you only have 2 USB ports, you can use a hub for your keyboard and mouse and use the other port for your audio interface.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this is also important:

Does the AxeFx have constant latency? if yes, you can surely insert a latency compensation plugin in your daw (most daws offer something like this). Then you can measure the latency once.

As I see it this should solve the playback issue, as the signal should be sent to the Axe before the rest plays, so that it's in sync in the end.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I think this is also important:

Does the AxeFx have constant latency? if yes, you can surely insert a latency compensation plugin in your daw (most daws offer something like this). Then you can measure the latency once.

As I see it this should solve the playback issue, as the signal should be sent to the Axe before the rest plays, so that it's in sync in the end.

I was thinking the very same thing. There must be a latency figure in samples if this is the case. Would be handy to know.

Back
Top Bottom