Reamping with Logic

APE

Inspired
I’m recording in logic. I was suggested to use different guitar tones and to use reamping.
How do I use logic to re-amp with axefx ii? I’m connected with Scarlet audio interface and also USB

I’m not very good at audio production and my knowledge of Logic is very limited

I followed the instructions here: as best I could, though some things in Logic seem to be different now.

I changed the Axe-FX I/O to use USB and plugged the headphones into it the headphone jack in the front. I changed the setting in Logic to use Axe-FX II. When I changed my Mac's Settings > Sound > Output and Input both, to Axe-FX II, I could finally hear the video's audio portion except there was a slight problem… the system audio was processed through the Axe-FX II. I could literally hear that instructional video with distortion, delay, reverb, etc.

So what did I do wrong?

The Axe only has two USB audio input channels. Any USB audio from the computer is sent through the preset/grid when Main Input Source = USB.

Try switching the Mac audio settings back to Scarlett. Logic can remain set to Axe as in/out.

Connect an Axe-FX output pair (analog, or SPDIF if available) to a Scarlett input pair and activate monitoring in the Scarlett control software. Monitor from Scarlett to headphones/speakers.

Reamping will require soloing the DI track in Logic unless you take some additional steps. To send DI to Axe and other tracks out of Scarlett you'd need to combine Axe & Scarlett outputs as an aggregate device, routing non-DI tracks to Scarlett. Otherwise you can avoid using Axe USB audio completely and reamp with Scarlett outputs/inputs (ideally SPDIF for lowest noise) connected to Axe.

Reactions: APE
Oh, no it doesn't! But it did before; I remember that; that's why I switched System Preferences to Axe-FX.

I did:
Logic > Preferences > Audio > Axe-FX II
System Settings > Scarlett
Logic > New Track (solo) --> START RECORDING

Could not hear guitars during recording. Playback had Logic's metronome with distortion. No guitar input.

I want to hear the guitars when I play but I don't hear them with this setup. What is wrong?

With:—
Code:
Logic > Preferences > Audio ........ Axe-FX II
System Settings > Sound > In/Out ... Scarlett
Axe-FX Output 1, L & R ------------> Scarlett inputs 1 & 2
Axe-FX I/O Main Input Source ....... USB
— I do not hear sound from my guitar through my computer. (My headphones are still plugged into the Scarlett.) But when I switch back to:— Axe-FX > I/O > Main Input Source: ANALOG — I hear it.

Last edited:
"Reamping will require soloing the DI track in Logic unless you take some additional steps. To send DI to Axe and other tracks out of Scarlett you'd need to combine Axe & Scarlett outputs as an aggregate device, routing non-DI tracks to Scarlett. Otherwise you can avoid using Axe USB audio completely and reamp with Scarlett outputs/inputs (ideally SPDIF for lowest noise) connected to Axe."

What is a DI track in Logic? Is it an audio track?

My Scarlett has S/PDIF Toslink. The Axe-FX II has RCA cable S/PDIF. Sweetwater doesn't have a cable that converts those two, so the sales rep said he would have someone else look into it.

What is a good workflow for reamping guitars with Logic and Axe-FX II? What are the steps I must take to do it? If you can write it out stepwise, that might make it easier for me to follow.

What is a DI track in Logic? Is it an audio track?

My Scarlett has S/PDIF Toslink. The Axe-FX II has RCA cable S/PDIF. Sweetwater doesn't have a cable that converts those two, so the sales rep said he would have someone else look into it.

What is a good workflow for reamping guitars with Logic and Axe-FX II? What are the steps I must take to do it? If you can write it out stepwise, that might make it easier for me to follow.

I am working on Reaper not Logic, but the steps should be similar.

You have to record a DI track. So with the AXE set as your ASIO audio device, record your track. I record one wet track using output 1 and then I record one dry (DI) track from output 3 simultaneously. Outputs 3/4 will bypass all effects and just record the sound of the DI guitar.

Once you have the DI track recorded, mute all the tracks except the DI, set the AXE to USB input via I/O menu. Arm a new track for recording with output 1 set within the new armed track. Record the new wet track. The routing is the audio of the DI track will play through the patch selected in the AXE and then be output to output 1 and will be recorded by the new armed track. Once done, set the I/O back to analog 1. Lastly, make sure you match the sample rate to 48000 within logic as this is the only rate the AXE supports.

I'm no expert, but if you have further question, post them here and I will try to help clarify if needed. The above process works perfectly for me using Reaper and I would think it would work within Logic.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom