Reamping with AX8 Using Logic Pro X and MOTU Ultralite Mk3

Rez

Hi all,

I have been struggling to reamp with the Ax8 using the Logic Pro X and MOTU Ultralite Mk3 interface. I have found multiple videos on youtube but none of them have the routing explained.

I am using the Input 3 of the MOTU to record the sample tone and input 4 as the DI. But struggling how to have the DI track routed back to the ax8 and then back into logic.

Any help would be highly appreciated!!!

You can send the signal from MOTU to AX8 through any selected MOTU output and receive it on the AX8's FX loop (FX loop must be routed in an AX8 preset).

From AX8 to MOTU better to send the signal through SPDIF out (less conversion -> less distortion).

I also recommend recording the guitar signal through AX8 instead of MOTU (this MOTU model has really bad guitar input converters)

Basically connections maybe something like this

guitar -> AX8 guitar input
AX8 SPDIF out -> MOTU SPDIF IN
MOTU clean signal out -> AX8 FX loop

if you are using SPDIF then MOTU and DAW must be set to 48khz!

Basic algorithm:

1. Record a clean guitar signal (AX8->MOTU->DAW)
2. Send recorded clean signal back to AX8 through selected MOTU out -> AX8's FX loop
3. Dial desirable tone on AX8
4. Record processed tone just like in step #1

as a sidenote..

Before you record a masterpiece landmark solo using the spdif i/o of the ultralite, suggest strongly to check it out for a while using the AX8.. in my case the 828mkIII hybrid has a slight, but present and annoying high pitched distortion on signals via spdif in.. exhibits on low volume / decaying notes and this is exhibited on both the AX8 and R11 units so its the motu for sure.

as a sidenote..

Before you record a masterpiece landmark solo using the spdif i/o of the ultralite, suggest strongly to check it out for a while using the AX8.. in my case the 828mkIII hybrid has a slight, but present and annoying high pitched distortion on signals via spdif in.. exhibits on low volume / decaying notes and this is exhibited on both the AX8 and R11 units so its the motu for sure.

In my case "high pitched distortion" was only present on 44.1 kHz. Switching to 48 khz solvs this problem.

well this is interesting..

so the ax8 is fixed at 48khz, and while the motu does (and is supposed to) auto detect and sync to a 48kHz incoming stream even when set to a 44.1khz default, the noise is present in this case (as i described earlier), but just as you indicate, when the default is set to 48Khz the audio stream is clear..

thanks.. its helped me clear some cable clutter :D

In my case "high pitched distortion" was only present on 44.1 kHz. Switching to 48 khz solvs this problem.

Back
Top Bottom