Reamping with a Scarlett 2i2

Zygl

Hi guys !

I have a problem regarding reamping with the AX8 and can't wrap my head around how to do it, albeit having read most posts on the subject across the forum.

My soundcard is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which comes with only 2 lines out, meaning I have to disconnect a speaker while reamping. I got a perfectly recorded DI that to work with.

So here's the deal :
- I route the DI track on my DAW (logic) to output 1
- I use a 1/4" cable from the soundcard to the IN 2 (FX RTN)
- I use an FX LOOP on the AX8's grid
- I connect the AX8 back to the Input of my soundcard using an XLR cable

Now, the problem is a constant hiss coming out of the remaining speaker. I've tried : switching cables, reducing levels on the AX8, reducing of the DI track inside the DAW, using IN 1 instead of IN 2 on the AX8, using the headphones OUT on my soundcard instead of Output 1, etc. Pretty much anything !

I can't seem to get rid of this hiss though, I've spent hours on that. Pretty much uneducated on the subject, I thus rely on you guys, if anyone has a helpful advice to give. Thanks a lot !

Hi guys !

I have a problem regarding reamping with the AX8 and can't wrap my head around how to do it, albeit having read most posts on the subject across the forum.

My soundcard is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which comes with only 2 lines out, meaning I have to disconnect a speaker while reamping. I got a perfectly recorded DI that to work with.

So here's the deal :

Now, the problem is a constant hiss coming out of the remaining speaker. I've tried : switching cables, reducing levels on the AX8, reducing of the DI track inside the DAW, using IN 1 instead of IN 2 on the AX8, using the headphones OUT on my soundcard instead of Output 1, etc. Pretty much anything !

I can't seem to get rid of this hiss though, I've spent hours on that. Pretty much uneducated on the subject, I thus rely on you guys, if anyone has a helpful advice to give. Thanks a lot !

If you can, you need to go XLR out from the sound card to XLR in of a reamp box such as Radial x-amp. Then out of the reamp box to the instrument in of the AX8 with a standard guitar cable, then Out1 XLR from the AX8 to the XLR in of the sound card. At least that's how I do it. I get no noise at all and I get excellent signal to noise ratio.

Hi Rick !

Thanks for your answer man. Only problem I have is that there's not XLR Out on the Scarlett 2i2, only 1/4" Jack outputs ...

Regarding the reamp box : isn't there a way to reamp without it, using only the AX8 ? I'd rather get rid of this noise and record with my current gear if possible.

Regarding the reamp box : isn't there a way to reamp without it, using only the AX8 ? I'd rather get rid of this noise and record with my current gear if possible.

Reamping quality and capability is going to be dependent on your audio interface. If you don't have the ability to send Instrument Level outputs from the Scarlett, you'll need a reamp box.

Hi Rick !

Thanks for your answer man. Only problem I have is that there's not XLR Out on the Scarlett 2i2, only 1/4" Jack outputs ...

Hello,
I haven't reamped with just the AX8 myself but it is possible. I can't post urls here, but search YouTube for "Leon Todd Reamping with Fractal AX8". He explains it all in his two part video. While you're there, subscribe! He is an amazing player and instructor of all things Fractal, especially the AX8.

Thanks for your answers guys ! I've already seen this video a few times and tried to transpose it to my DAW (logic) and my AX8 without success. I guess I'll try one more time :)

Thanks for your answers guys ! I've already seen this video a few times and tried to transpose it to my DAW (logic) and my AX8 without success. I guess I'll try one more time :)

Wish I could be of more help. I've just never needed to use just the AX8 for Reamping. I've used my Radial J48 and X-Amp with all my amps and modelers for years.

Hi
Ive got my AX8 a week ago. Ive got track in Logic Pro recorder a while ago (DI) and tried to reamp.
Ive got te same settings as in first Zygl's post and Ive got only constant hiss coming out.
My settings:

I tried all the same settings, different cables, ordered passive ReampBox (between output 1 of Scarlett to AX8 IN2 (FX Return) and is the same constant hizz noise.

Im totally lost trying different options, looking in internet, spending hours of research and connecting every possible way.
Ive noticed if I sending the DI signal from output 1 straight in to FX return of AX8 with connected speakers to Output 1 (L+R) of AX8 I can hear processed DI nice sound without hizz and noise but straight after connecting AX8 in to Scarlett interface I can hear the noise...
So if DI send signal and reamped signal are connected to interface (circuit is closed) there is hizz squick noise. If I brake the cuircuit this hizz is gone and I can hear processed guitar...

Is anybody here using Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and Logic with good result?
How I can setup AX8 in order to get proper sound without hizz squick noise....?

Thanks!

I have the 18i20 model

-From the interface's output to AX8's FX return (IN 2), there's the constant hiss/buzz you guys mention.
-From the interface's output to AX8's INSTRUMENT input (IN 1 as Leon Todd suggests in his videos), the hiss/buzz is gone and got nice (but not excellent) results.

Now the thing is:

From my understanding, going straight from the interface to FX Return is (at least, on paper) best as it is a line level signal, but the resulting noise makes this option unusable. I compared one track recorded straight from the AX8 vs one Re-amped (with the same exact preset) through the Instrument input and noticed a different response in dynamics and low end in the re-amped track.

This makes me think that despite having 'OK' results going straight from interface to IN 1, the best way is to use a re-amp box (I'm thinking on getting a Radial X-Amp) as you would with any amp.

Last edited:
I tried connect through FX Return and IN 1 with the same result, constant hizz...
In my case it doesn't matter if I use passive ReampBox or not (FX Return or IN 1) is still the same...
Only sending signal to AX8 without connecting to interface is giving nice sound through speakers (from AX8 output 1 L+R)

Back
Top Bottom