Reamping while listening to other tracks in DAW?

dpfranz

I've successfully recorded a dry and wet track in my DAW, Studio One 5 Pro. The problem is, I'd like to be able to have all the other tracks playing while I tweak the Axe FX III. But since, as I understand it, and how I'm doing it, I have set the Axe FX III as my interface, and the main out of my DAW on USB Channels 5/6, the other tracks are getting processed by the Axe FX as well as the DI guitar track. They, of course, don't sound as intended. If I switch back to my Apollo x4 as interface, now I can't run the DI track through the Axe FX.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to hear my other tracks as recorded, while I hear the DI track being run through the Axe FX III, so I can dial in the tone I want within the mix?

Not sure how it works in Studio One, but in Logic, the main out is to 1-2 (Stereo), only the track with the DI is set to 5/6. This way your mix comes through as normal and only the DI track is going through the AFX signal path.

Using Cakewalk Bandlab, it is as simple as setting the main tracks to Axe-FX OUT1 (default) and the guitar dry rack to the Axe-FX OUT7 [In U Block L]. At the Axe-FX I insert the USB block at the beginning of the chain

It shouldn't be much different at any other DAW

I can’t speak to what the others have said, but with an Apollo x4 why not use that and skip the axefx as a USB interface? I’d imagine it would be more flexible (and more designed for it). Then you could easily route the DI to the axefx from the x4 and still monitor the main mix from the x4 (and not processed). In studio one you’d just have all your outputs to the Apollo main mix and you’d set the DI output to whatever lead you patched into the x4 for that process, just make sure you have an armed track to hear the reamped return signal. And you could have it plugged in the axefx permanently. You could also have the axefx connected via spdif In and out to not use up the x4’s analog inputs. Also you wouldnt have to do any interface switching going forward.

and to record dry and wet going forward, you’d have 2 options. 1. Plug into the axefx and mirror input 1 to output 3 and have that plugged into a different input on the x4 for the DI part (or you could do them both, I think, over spdif but Only mono) or 2. You could plug directly into the x4, route your guitar input to an output (in Apollo’s console) and into the axefx with a reamp box. studio one can record the clean and the processed either way, option 1 is easier, 2 has the odd benefit for some.

Just some thoughts from someone who spends more time under the music desk than using it...

Interesting that this came up this morning! I am trying to demo the standalone Soldano amp sim from Neural by routing through my Axe-Fx III.

I want to plug into the Axe front input and create a preset that routes that plain, or DI, guitar signal via USB to the iMac Soldano application. And then have the iMac app output back over USB to the Axe-Fx III and out its connected NX-12 speakers.

Would varying the process in Step 1 posted by M@ do this, with what tweaks to the preset?

Interesting that this came up this morning! I am trying to demo the standalone Soldano amp sim from Neural by routing through my Axe-Fx III.

I want to plug into the Axe front input and create a preset that routes that plain, or DI, guitar signal via USB to the iMac Soldano application. And then have the iMac app output back over USB to the Axe-Fx III and out its connected NX-12 speakers.

Would varying the process in Step 1 posted by M@ do this, with what tweaks to the preset?

Yep, just do as GlennO said. I actually used factory preset #383: BYPASS to try the NDSP Gojira plugin, too...

Back
Top Bottom