Reamping w/ looping sections Daw

Dramelot

Power User
I would like to begin playing over some tracks then reamping and adjusting the II while it plays certain sections to tweak settings.
Any body doing this w results.

I put reaper and all needed II software (EXcept Editor 1.0 akhhhem) on my laptop for now until I get back to my Sonar station at home.
So have to learn some Reaper tricks,
any suggestions are cool!

I'm in the exact same boat, I was preparing to post a similar thread before I found this one. I'm new to Reaper (well, recording in general, really), but I really want to use the reamping feature to tweak my settings instead of playing a snippet, tweaking, then playing another snippet, tweaking some more... all the while with a guitar slung over my shoulder.

I understand how to set the input on the Axe-Fx II to USB, so I can play a dry stream capture in my DAW through the signal chain. What I'm not clear about is how to capture the dry channel(s) in Reaper.

I don't know Reaper specifically, but you should have 4 inputs in your DAW. If not, check preferences. In Ableton Live I had to enable the 3/4 input pair. The 3/4 pair are the dry outputs. Play and record what you want to reamp by recording the 3/4 outputs from the Axe. Then, to reamp, go to the I/O setup, "Audio" tab and change the "Main Input Source" (first option) to USB. Loop your audio and adjust to taste. To capture the reamped audio, record the 1/2 output. I'm not sure how much latency there is going through the usb-Axe process, but you should be able to tell by lining your original dry recording up next to the reamped one and looking at the start of the waveforms. If it's enough to matter, you can move the reamped waveform so the start lines up with the dry recording. Voila. Done.

Or you could do it over and over with different sounds and layer up a crazy guitar orchestra.

I don't know Reaper specifically, but you should have 4 inputs in your DAW. If not, check preferences. In Ableton Live I had to enable the 3/4 input pair. The 3/4 pair are the dry outputs. Play and record what you want to reamp by recording the 3/4 outputs from the Axe. Then, to reamp, go to the I/O setup, "Audio" tab and change the "Main Input Source" (first option) to USB. Loop your audio and adjust to taste. To capture the reamped audio, record the 1/2 output. I'm not sure how much latency there is going through the usb-Axe process, but you should be able to tell by lining your original dry recording up next to the reamped one and looking at the start of the waveforms. If it's enough to matter, you can move the reamped waveform so the start lines up with the dry recording. Voila. Done.

Or you could do it over and over with different sounds and layer up a crazy guitar orchestra.

That should get us started, I will have a chance to try it out this weekend, let you know it goes

Got it; thanks for pointing me in the right direction. By default, Reaper had the min/max inputs as Input 0/Input 1 respectively. I changed it to use Input 0/Input 3 as the min/max, then created a new stereo track and set the input to Input 2/3. Record some stuff dry, set the Input source on Axe-Fx to USB, then click play. Fun!

Edit: Forgot to say how I changed the ASIO input min/max--it's in the Preferences menu for those who are not familiar.

Last edited:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to record the reamped audio in Live. I realized to hear the audio form tracks 3/4 I had to go to preferences and change around Audio input devices and plug in my headphones into the Axe to monitor the sound. Now I can't figure out how to record it. Do I open up a new track and mess with the audio from or to?

Back
Top Bottom