Reamping via SPDIF is my new favourite hobby

Orvillain

Power User
Fantastic. It's quick, great signal to noise ratio, no additional AD/DA stages, and allows me to play with settings on the fly whilst I record my tones. Did some reamping today and had a whale of a time!

And the Memory Man model in the delay is my new favourite delay on the planet! Fantastic when you crank the feedback up to 63%-ish and dial the mix back a little, and just let the thing oscillate underneath your main melody. Luuuussshhhhh.

Andy, can you please expand on this a little? I am new to the Axe Fx and this ultimately is how I would like to un my setup for recording. How are you monitoring when you are recording the direct signal? Are you using the analog out to monitor with tone, while recording the direct signal to track?

I do it by having a 'draft' patch in mono on one channel and the unprocessed signal on the other channel. Only monitor the 'draft' channel whilst recording, use the unprocessed channel later for reamping (which can be done in stereo if necessary).

I record a stereo track rather than two mono tracks as it's easier to do take comping in Logic that way. Works great.

Yeah basically I have a patch, and one path goes straight through to the output, and the output path is hard-panned left. Meaning SPDIF Left is my 'dry thru' ... and my process path is hard panned in the other direction, meaning SPDIF Right is my processed. I record both in Reaper and I can easily reamp the dry later.

Don't you then have to shunt one of those paths and change panning when you go to reamp? That's how I've been trying to do it and find it a pita

Don't you then have to shunt one of those paths and change panning when you go to reamp? That's how I've been trying to do it and find it a pita

Nah I've got dedicated presets for the reamping stage. All I do is switch the input 1 source from the front to SPDIF, and select the relevant preset. Been processing some synths and drums recently too.

So does that mean you have seperate patches for initial tracking and reamping.
I'm really interest to know more about your methods

So does that mean you have seperate patches for initial tracking and reamping.
I'm really interest to know more about your methods

Hey Rick, sorry for the delayed response.

Yes I have separate patches for initial tracking and reamping. The initial tracking patches are generally just a nice enough tone for monitoring, plus the dry through. The reamping patches can be fairly complex, or rather my usage of them can be. For bass guitar for instance, I'll have two patches - one with a dual dry amp setup, and one with a dual distorted amp setup, giving me four bass tones to play with. Likewise with guitar, a reamping patch will be one amp going to two cabs with different microphones, then out to two tracks in my DAW via SPDIF.. and another will be a different amp, and different effects and EQ and what not... so each take of guitar will often comprise of 4 "microphone" signals the same way I'd work in a full on studio situation.

Great idea, I was daunted at the possibility of having to setup every single patch for this, but I really only need a clean, crunch, and lead patch setup for initial tracking then the reamping is just a matter of switching the input to spdif on any normal patch I want to work with.

Back
Top Bottom