Reamping / Tracking in Reaper

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone have any thoughts on best practices while recording? I want to record my DI along with an amped tone so I can reamp if needed.

One thought is to create a 4-channel track, one channel for Di, two for left n right fx, and the last of the four for dry amped. This way everything remains in one lane. i haven’t tried this yet but I believ this is doable.

Anyone have any other methods?

I highly recommend that approach. It’s possible to work by grouping mono and stereo tracks, but your DI will survive editing, cross fading, comping, etc. so much better if it’s just a channel in the same track.

Just curious, are you recording the two effects tracks just to get the different effects for each side of the stage or for the stereo affect?

4 channel track is great for keeping the edits in same spots, but I always then set the track to 2 channels to listen the amp sound only and always forget to put the channel count back to 4 before glueing the edited tracks into one file. Then I've lost the DI... If I don't notice it right away, it can get annoying.

I'm not a professional but I never record DI tracks. The reason is that I don't have much time beside my job and kids, so I like to make as much decisions as I can right away and I like to start working with what I have. I fix if something is to fix or record a new track with another preset if necessary but I almost never reamp, except the bass DI which I like to mix in sometimes anyhow.

My logic is that my playing is depending on the actual setup (sound/preset), e.g. the edge of breakup or dynamics change with a new preset and I would probably play just a bit different with a different preset, so I don't benefit actualy from a DI made with one certain preset. I know it may only be nuances but if you're reamping just to change something a tiny bit, then you can mostly fix it just with an EQ.

The whole process is simpler, it's easier to edit just one track etc. There are many approaches, I'm happy with mine. My brother for example likes total control over each aspect of the mix. I recorded however a whole album while he's still busy with his first tracks. :)

4 channel track is great for keeping the edits in same spots, but I always then set the track to 2 channels to listen the amp sound only and always forget to put the channel count back to 4 before glueing the edited tracks into one file. Then I've lost the DI... If I don't notice it right away, it can get annoying.

You can use a mixing plugin (I use one built in to Cubase) to listen to only the wet stereo pair, and leave the audio at 4 channels so nothing gets lost.

Back
Top Bottom