Reamping - still one track at a time?

Gasp100

Power User
Have any developments been made so that I can reamp a guitar track while actively listening to the entire stereo mix using ONLY the AxeFX II? I'm still using the solo the channel method and it's a bit of a drag when I really need to hear my reamping in the context of mixes. I do have another soundcard which I guess I could try to add to the mix?
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for outputs 1 and 2?
AxeFX II as dedicated reamping channel?
I'd prefer to use the II by itself, sound incredibly good.

Im not sure what you mean but I reamp with the AXE while listing to the entire mix that is already recorded all the time. I then tweak my preset until it fits just right with all the other tracks in realtime. Then when I like my setting, then I record the reamp. Not sure why you wouldnt be able to. Although I am using an audio interface over SPDIF which perhaps is the reason.

When you use the II only as the interface and you switch the input to USB you have to solo the track in your DAW you are attempting to reamp or the ENTIRE MIX gets reamped through your current patch on the II. My Focusrite doesn't have SPDIF so I would have to take line output 3 (RCA) of the Focusrite to an input on the II (probably rear input), then outs from the II back into the inputs on the Focusrite. I can do this, but much more elegant to do everything "in the box".

Surely that isn't right...

Isn't there a preference in the ASIO driver panel to setup how the monitor signal gets to the Axe? I seem to recall there was a setting to make it possible to monitor your DAW audio without it being processed by the Axe.

Looks that way... Helix wins LOL... JUST KIDDING!
I'm now using my Focusrite as my main audio interface and sending Line Output 3 into rear input on the AxeFXII, then outputs 1 & 2 back to the inputs on the Focusrite. I know it multiple AD conversions but it still sounds fine and easier for me to wrap my head around then trying to play with multiple audio interfaces in MAC / Reaper.

Can be done with just the Axe FX over USB but requires hard panning the backing to one side and the dry guitar to the other so your preset can process them separately

I do reamp two separate tracks in real time with the Axe-Fx II and I can also manage to reamp while listening to the entire mix - it's quite tricky to explain the process, I might do a proper Youtube video in due time.

I have a lynx card. I used to use asio4all driver which allowed me to simultaneously use the lynx and axe outputs but it could be buggy.

Now I just use the lynx and one of the extra outputs to the rear axe output for analog reamping.

I've done blind tests and can't hear any difference between analog and usb reamping.

Cool info guys, The MAC still allows an aggregate device but I had trouble routing things properly and went back to old school reamping (analog). Still sounds great and it seems simpler and more intuitive (for now). This also brings me one step closer to thinking about incorporating the AX8 in place of the II because I can easily bring the AX8 into the fold and use it the exact same way.

Back
Top Bottom