Reamping only reamps effects?

Mohi

Experienced
So I am a bit lost with reamping, I have set the routing like in the manual, but when I reamp a track seems the input signal, sent by the daw, is only processed by the effects in the Axe presets, not the amp, weird, I checked it with several presets, several effects / amp blocks. I even engaged the wah and it is that only processing from the Axe what I get recorded or auditioned with the headphones connected to the unit, enabling and disabling the Amp block when reaping results in lower volume (when that block disengaged), any idea of what could be happening?

For clarity I add the sample preset,

the direct signal

the reference recording

and the recording of the reamped signal, where I engage the way to illustrate the signal is actually based to the Axe and going the route

any input is appreciated

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.18.01.png

Attachments

• Reamp test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Could your signal when re-amping be so low that it sounds almost clean even after going through the amp block? It's hard to tell with the wah on in the last clip, is there any difference between the dry and re-amped tone if you don't engage any effects (other than the volume change)?

Thanks for your reply! the following track is the reamped one without any effect:

I do not know if it is a level issue .... I can try to boost the send though ....

This is a very strange report.

Are you sure the amp and cab aren't bypassing?
Who is moving the wah pedal in that one recorded example?
Exactly which inputs and outputs are you using in the DAW?

Hi,

thanks again for the replies. in the recorded example I move the wah, which filters the incoming signal from the DAW, if I activate a Delay or Reverb instead of the wah, that is the effect what becomes reamped.

Yes I am fully sure amp and cab are not bypassed. Sends in the DI track are like this:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 15.30.04.png

and inputs in the reamped, like in the Reference:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 15.30.45.png

Thanks for your reply! the following track is the reamped one without any effect:

I do not know if it is a level issue .... I can try to boost the send though ....

Compared to your direct signal track, this sounds like it may be going through the amp/cab blocks assuming everything else was bypassed. It's brighter than the direct track, but is way cleaner than it should be for some reason. Can you watch the level meter in the amp block as you're re-amping to see what kind of signal is hitting the input of the amp?

Yeah sounds like your input signal is getting turned way down somehow. Do you have any expression pedals or MIDI CC's assigned to the input level by chance?

Levels are not very high, true, but if I increase the send volume up to 12 db, nothing really improves. I am going to try with another DAW.

Same with Logic, plus this time I bypassed the dock station I connect the Axe to the Mac through, and made a direct one. Same behaviour, maybe there is something wrong with my unit???

Check the individual block in/out levels. Is the output level of the input block much lower than when you're playing guitar normally through the Axe-FX? Does the low-gain issue remain if you switch back to normal guitar playing without restarting or changing any settings other than Input 1 source?

Do you have a CC assigned to input volume in the I/O menu?

If you enable something as a MIDI device, Reaper will send 0 value for CC#64 and CC#123 (normally sustain & all notes off) to it on playback unless you disable this in MIDI settings. So, CCs possibly causing this is something to look into.

I recorded an small video of the levels while making some noise with the guitar, hope this makes it clearer:

The signal coming in does look quite low on the meter compared to what I assume is you playing in the beginning of the video. I think you said up thread you tried boosting it and it didn’t solve the problem. It’s weird I admit.

Yes, totally weird, I boost in Logic the out to 5/6 by 6db and same thing. I will try with a direct cable from the Type B output to the Type C input but I do not think that is the problem, honestly.

What is your USB 5/6 input level set to? (Setup>I/O>USB/AES)

You're getting very, very low input when you're reamping. I don't think there are issues with 'only reamping effects', it's just that the input level is so low that you aren't getting any distortion from the amp.

Ah bingo! that was it, I had it all the way down, I set it up to 0db and how it is at the same level (aprox) as the regular input. Thanks!

Now I must understand why I must still change to Digital on input when I use an Input USB, but guess will be just a matter of paying more attention to the manual and configs.

Thanks all!

If your DAW can route audio to USB 7/8, then you can use the dedicated IN USB block to reamp instead of changing input source on the Axe Fx. Currently there is no audio coming through your IN USB block.

just bumping this one after a long time -
when using the IN USB block for re-amping, do we still need to set the DI track output to -6.0 dB?
(the Re-Amping section in the July 2022 manual says to do that, but it does not mention the In USB block)

just bumping this one after a long time -
when using the IN USB block for re-amping, do we still need to set the DI track output to -6.0 dB?
(the Re-Amping section in the July 2022 manual says to do that, but it does not mention the In USB block)

Like mr fender says, that’s an error in the manual. I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to say +6.0 dB. That would be the case if you recorded a mono DI track. If you record a stereo DI track and send both channels when re-amping, no level adjustment is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom